Yamaha DG Stomp, plus Zendrive2, my poorman's Kemper

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Clifford-D, May 5, 2015.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

The DG Stomp, last centuries modeling. In no way does this sound as good as a Kemper.
    The DG Stomp has eight models and in my opinion, all but two are completely useless to me. Fortunately it has two models worth considering and one of them, the crunch 2 model, is actually a great sounding model. The models are not based on actual amps and I feel was a good call since all modelers of the '90's didn't sound like the real amp.

With very simple controls this crunch 2 model sounds BETTER than anything on the market at the time by a mile. And in my opinion, sounds better than most I hear today.

Doyle Bramhall 2 used a Yamaha amp during this with the Arc Angels with the same modeling and he liked the crunch 2 too. I used a Tech 21 PE60 with the Stomp.
    Crunch 2 sounded like a cross between a Fender-ish amp and a Dumble-ish amp.
    What it lacks is the same thing all modelers lack, that tactile/living/real amp that the Kemper delivers with abundance. The good news is it's still got decent tactile and real qualities.

My Stomp sat on a shelf for 10+ years because it was broken, so I thought. My friend was talking about how he turned his peamp off in his Digitech and used it just for the effects. Well, a big lightbulb I wondered if that was the case with my Stomp. Even though I never used it I found that the preamp was indeed tuned off. Don't know how it happened but
    I do know I didn't have the sense to check it before.

The Zendrive2 is my favorite Zen, with a tube in it it's bigger and warmer than the regular Zen. And it still has that Robben Ford chirp. The Stomp accepts the Zen2 wonderfully fortunately.

The combination works and sounds grreat together and the zen delivers all its Dumble-esque magic.

I'm on the trail to the Kemper, the best piece of gear I have ever owned. Until then my YamZen will work just fine and that will allow me to sell my Fender SS22 amp. Money that goes towards the big K.

So I may have had to sell the K but I rediscovered this great Yamaha modeling. In my opinion this crunch 2 modeling is as good or better than most modelers today even though it's a one trick pony.

At least I have a decent rig.

2. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

DG stomp is my 'oh ****' rig in case anything goes wrong live. Highly underrated IMHO.

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Agree on the DG, I keep mine as a backup ... will have to try it with the Zendrive 2, thanks.

4. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

I dunno about "poor man's" - that pedal is $329.97!
    Been hearing some really good clips of it on youtube.

5. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

ha cool, Magic Stomp is my back up rig.

jbp likes this.
  6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

No way does it even come close to a Kemper.

I think it sounds great compared to other modelers of the day, and as good as what you get in modern day modeler minus the hi end ones. But it's a far cry from Kemper which is not a modeler.

7. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I entered this thread hoping for a clip of your poor man's Kemper......any chance of that happening?

IbanezAS200 likes this.
  8. steinny

steinny Member

Holdsworth used the DG stuff exclusively for what, 15 years? If it was good enough for him...

(NB, latest video of Allan in the studio shows him using an Axe FX...)

The DG stuff has/had the "feel" that was lacking in the POD stuff, though the cab emulation was horrible, which was why I could never use it consistently.

9. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Yes, Allen Holdsworth, forgot. I saw him with his Yamaha amp.lol

I don't use the cab sims with my Tech 21 PE 60. And I have heard
    the cab sim on my recordings, not so great.

10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Always, I just made a recording with my Zoom Q3. Now its just a matter of getting it on youtube

11. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Here is an example of my "poor Mans Kemper", lol, far cry,,, but not bad, I used my Yamaha DG Stomp > Zendrive 2 > Tech 21 PE60 > Zoom Q3 recorder recording from about 5 feet. I'm using my G&L ASAT Special.

All improvised, no notes or charts, and I used my fingers, duh lol.

12. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Clif- care to share your settings for the crunch 2 voicing? And which is the 2nd voicing you like? Thanks!

Gb