Yamaha DG Users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatherjones.com, Sep 23, 2008.

1. fatherjones.com

fatherjones.com Member

I just picked up a Yamaha DG100 212 locally via Craigslist. I offered it for sale or trade here briefly, thinking it might be too complicated to use - but now I'm going to pull it off - because the more I mess with this thing, the more I'm starting to really like it.
    [​IMG]

I bought a midi controller pedal today to activate the presets - and as I tweak and adjust to find my favorite pallette of tones - I'm getting more and more hooked.

I'm interested in other DG users (DG 80, DG 1000 preamp, etc.) I don't mean endorsers (Holdsworth, et. al). Who uses these and will tell about their usage?

For example, how does one set the expression pedal to be a volume pedal?

Anyone?

2. tone4days

tone4days Member

i have a dg stomp
    like it quite a bit and keep it in my bag as my gig backup (just in case)
    the presets are dogs, but once you get under the hood, it is really quite a cool pedal
    i messed with turning the preamp off and using it effects only - kinda cool, but not at all transparent enough to use in front of an amp (mightve been ok in a loop, but didnt try that)
    i messed with an expression pedal for wah, but never volume, so i can't be sure how to do that
    good luck - havefun
    t4d

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The DG's a great amp - worked for Holdsworth!

4. axelicker

axelicker Member

Yes! The DG series are great amps. Way ahead of their time. Probably my most regretted sale was a DG80 "head" (I'd junked the P.O.S. combo, which was cheaply built, and made an oak head case) that was a terrific amp and with a drive pedal would have covered most of my needs, at any volume.

Sure would like to see todays digital technology implemented with the same format, motorized knobs, etc.

5. TNO

TNO Member

Small world...enjoy the amp!
    Evan

6. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I have a DG1000, DG8o and a DG130h. I really dig the amps for certain sounds. I use a Yamaha midi pedal, I just plugged it in and everything worked. I know there are manuals posted online and a Yahoo group, just do a quick google search.

7. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I have a DG-80 and still gig with it from time to time. I still think it's the best sounding SS amp that I've ever heard.

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

I agree, even though I could easily do without the motorized pots. Just having a sensible user interface that is as easy to use as a regular amp was great with the DG80 I had. I also liked their take on modeling - no "Marshall this and that, Fender xyz" ********. I wish amp modeling companies would see that we don't really need amps that sound exactly like some classic amps, we could easily use digital amps that are just done with their take on what they feel is great tone.

I wish Yamaha would dig the DG amps project back up and continue working on it.

9. cap'n rory

cap'n rory Member

PM me if you need a copy of the manual. Mine has the software update to version two and I'm about to go out for the evening, and don't have time to research the manual for the data command for volume via midi control. I have mine set to drop the volume back for rhythm with the pedal back and then to maximum for solos on some presets. Other presets I keep the full volume control on. Using a Beringer FB1010.

10. axelicker

axelicker Member

Agreed 100%. The motorized pots are great, and I've never heard of these failing. My V-amp gives you knob position info via a ring of LED's around each control - cheaper and does the job. I have GAS again for an AxeFX (had one of the early units) but I keep telling myself Stop! simply because I want the tone but really want a simpler version with the above type of user-interface.

And yeah it's cool when an amp is it's own thing. Tech 21 did the same, not really going for cloned tones.

11. mattzito

mattzito Member

Does anybody have a link(URL) for the patch or do you have the patch that you could send me?

matt_89102@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Matt

12. stegre

stegre Member

This seems to have disappeared online and I am looking for the file(s)

I have a DG80-112 original version and want to upgrade.

Anyone have them .... ??

Steve

13. scooperman

scooperman Member

Ditto here, can't find anything on the Yamaha website. I see in the user manual that you can hook one amp to another (MIDI to MIDI). This would at least let you get all the presets from amp1 to amp2, not sure if this will also let you get the complete firmware from one amp to another.

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I had a DG 1000 for a while but I didn't get on with it.

15. losergeek

losergeek Member

I had a DG60fx for a couple years and used it mostly as a home amp but only ever used the manual settings rather than playing with the presets and internal settings. This worked great since it had a full complement of controls for the voices and effects (unlike a lot of other modelling amps). When I went to sell it, the guy that showed up had been using the DG Stomp Multieffect on his electric cello and handled the thing like a pro. He knew how to get into settings I didn't know existed. Had an expresion pedal doing all kinds of crazy things.

The one thing I found with the 60 was that it sounded amazing on it's own, but any time I tried it at practice it never really sat in the mix well. Might have been a little underpowered at 60 SS Watts, but when I got it loud and clear enough to be heard it became really ice picky.

I replaced it with a Vibro Champ XD, which is much more suited to home use and to my tendancies of just playing with controls rather than menus.

16. Peterma

Peterma Member

If you still need the upgrade software, I have it and can send it to you. Let me know.

The upgrade process is tricky and is a pain, but is doable. I just upgraded my Dg100 2X12 & DG130 Head. The combo was pretty simple but the head was a real pain. I am goimg to write up my experience and post it on the yahoo DG amp group when I have time.

You can get the software yourself by becoming a member of the group. Google yahoo Yamaha DG amp group and that should bring you there. Once you are accepted there are files there to download as well as some text on how to do it.

The upgrade process is NOT very intuitive and there is a high likelyhood that you will get error messages, but, with persistance, it should eventually work.

Be warned: if you do the upgrade and screw it up-your amp becomes a paperweight that there is no fixing.

17. Peterma

Peterma Member

This does NOT update the firmware in the second amp, if the first one is updated. I have read that this can screw up the amp you are trying to download to. The only way to upgrade the amp is by doing the firmware upgrade. The upgrades are MAJOR and completely increase the amps utiltity.

18. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

Does the software upgrade apply to the DG Stomp, too?

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I tried one, took it back.
    Same with the Stomp.
    Brittle rollover into distortion on both those, and the Marshall JMP-1, too.
    My Yam G100II is preferred, good cleans, with outboard SS and digital pedals. Don't need tubes.