Yamaha DSR 12 and DSR 118W sub

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Teleking, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I've been trying to find the high-pass and low-pass filter on these two products, and it seems Yamaha set it at 120 on the DSR 12s?

And there is none on the sub?

Why would they do that? Couldn't find a lot of info on either, even from Yamaha. Does anyone know the story on these two?

I own the DSR 12s. I was just surprised when I was researching both that you couldn't find much, and what I could find didn't seem to make much sense?

I realize you certainly want a high-pass on the 12s. Why so high at 120? Why no low-pass on the sub?

2. modulusman

modulusman Member

Looking at the powered speaker brochure the sub is set to 120hz with 24db filter internally. I'm sure the engineers at Yamaha knew what they were doing.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I wouldn't personally buy that sub.

My guess is it is designed to go with the DSR tops somehow.

At the moment I have the HPF engaged on my DSR12s, but I'm going to go ahead and hook my crossover up I think.

4. ercguitar

ercguitar Supporting Member

~120 seems to be the norm these days, and I wouldn't really consider it high. My QSCs are 125, but it's also switchable, on/off, if you're not playing anything that requires a sub. On the sub, surely it has one built in, but it's usually irrelevant to people since it's usually full-range in and full-range out.

5. 335guy

335guy Member

Yeah, Yamaha certainly does seem to have dropped the ball on providing some of the specs of that sub on their websites. But according to both Sweetwater and Zzounds, the DSR 118W sub has a preset crossover at 120 Hz. And Sweetwater calls the crossover point HPF selectable on outputs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSR118W

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMDSR118W

Why it isn't variable is anyone's guess. I could speculate it's what Yamaha believes to be ideal for the DSR series speakers. And how the main and sub are tuned with Yamaha's FIR-X tuning.

6. sants

sants Supporting Member

That would explain the 100 and 120 settings on the dxr series.