Yamaha DXR/DXS Owners, Come on In!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MoPho, Dec 7, 2016.

1. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle Silver Supporting Member

I am absolutely brand new to PA gear and went out and bought a Behringer XR18, Yamaha DXR12 mains and a DXS15 sub. Doh! I'll keep this thread alive in case there are others who could benefit from it.

Question #1: What is the best way to connect these things? Balanced (mic cable?), unbalanced?
    Question #2: I saw a hookup diagram where PA goes to sub and then mains are pass through from sub to mains. Is this accurate?

If you have any pics of what you've done, by all means please share.

Right now this gear is sitting in the house so I can learn to use it but hope to get it out to some of our gigs soon.

2. jim683

jim683 Member

I have the DXR15's . Question 1 yes it is best to use balanced cables and mic cables will work fine, it is what I use for powered speakers.
    Question 2, since you don't list a crossover, yes you can go out of the XR18 left and right, to the DXS inputs, then use the thru to go to the DXR12's

set the XR18 master out all the way down, set the input levels to 0 to start on all the Yamaha speakers, then put a sound source through the mixer and slowly start to turn up the master level
    of the XR18, then you can adjust the input levels of the Yamaha speakers for the best sound without clipping anything.

MoPho likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

Congrats man! I have the DXR 12s along with Turbosound Milan 15b subwoofers.I use the Soundcraft Ui16. I run the UI into a dbx GOrack, then into a Rolls mono Xover. The gorack is redundant but it's got eq presets that I like and I had it before the UI16. I run 1/4inch to the top and sub and chain them with xlrs. I crossover at 100hz. Wish I did this years ago.
    Here's a recent trio gig. I use a hard wired laptop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    MoPho likes this.
  4. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Hey tripp2k,
    How are you digging your setup?

I also have a XR18 and two DXR12's and am looking for a sub to go with them.

Thanks,
    Willie

5. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Xr18 with dxr12 mains drx10 moms and qsc kw181 subs here.

Main outs of xr18 go to the dxr12s which are set to 100hz roll off. I use an aux fed sub, so I have another line going to those. I prefer it this way but you can definitely go right from the subs to the tops if you want.

Definitely use balanced xlr cables for all connections.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    MoPho likes this.
  6. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Thanks for the feedback, MLG.

Agreed, subs on aux is the way to go.

The KW181's are outside my budget. I'm looking for a ~$800 sub and that was the reason for my interest in the DXS15.

7. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Just remember if you are using aux fed subs to make sure that the aux is set to post fader

Seems like you should be able to get a great sound with that setup. I know for me the xr18 has really changed my workflow for the better

8. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Yeah, the XR18 is an amazing little box.

"Just remember if you are using aux fed subs to make sure that the aux is set to post fader"
    10-4 on that.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

DSRs over LS801Ps. Use XLRs. Aux fed or pan trick. I use a crossover.

10. MoPho

It's working well. We had one gig at a small restaurant and bar and we had great sound. Just enough of the sub brought the kick and bass guitar into the mix and this cleared the tables for the audience to groove. We'll start working our way up to larger venues over time but plenty of headroom left to crank it up for a larger audience. Our drummer has a larger QSC setup (2x12 mains) that is too much for us old guys to cart at the end of a late night. My gear also loads into my Subaru Outback.

11. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Awesome. Glad to hear that.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit:
    Are you using the sub on aux or the pass-thru with the integral filters?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  12. MoPho

Pass thru for now

13. modulusman

modulusman Member

IIRC QSC has never made a 212 cabinet.

14. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

I use the DXR12 / DXS15 combination in my workplace (2 subs with my rig), sounds terrific. Simple to set up, XLR from the monitor to the sub, short XLR from the sub to the top, couple of power leads and job's done. Worth checking the same crossover frequency is selected on the subs as the roll-off is on the top (or at least, the sub isn't set to crossover at 100Hz but you've got the top set to 120Hz, because you'll get an uneven hole in response), and in some venues I need to back the subs down by 3dB or so. But otherwise it's a simple, rugged, loud and great sounding rig that's not too heavy or expensive. We have some of the cheaper DBR10s that we use for monitors, they're great too.

15. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I thought with the yamahas we were supposed to run the main outs the tops and then set the hi pass to 100hz on the top and then through to the sub?

We don't use a sub (acoustic duo) but have dxr12s for the mains. IMO they kick ass.

We use jbl prx12s for monitors and depite being rated for 400 watts more than the dxrs I swear the yamahas are clearer and louder. Maybe I'm not pushing the jbls enough. Regardless the yamahas are killer.

16. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Thanks for chiming in, Martin. It's great to hear you have a rig you are digging.

What mixer are you using?

If you are not running separate monitor mixes, how do you handle the L/R distribution running through the monitors like that? It sounds like you are running tops over subs, stage left and stage right.

17. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

The DXS15s have a full range pass thru. You would run to the sub then to the top. Selecting the LPF on the subs and the HPF on the tops.

18. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Are you saying to make sure that the LPF on the subs and the HPF on the tops is set the same?

19. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Usually running my Presonus StudioLive 1602 for smaller events. Running separate monitor mixes on the auxes. We have a big Soundcraft console for bigger events, but if I can get away without lugging that out, I will!

Or at least don't set the LPF to lower than the HPF. LPF at 120, HPF at 100 is OK... LPF at 100, HPF at 120, not so good.

20. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Thanks for the reply.

This is the perfect time for me to ask the collective about something I've been trying to figure out.

I am running two DXR12s on a XR18. I recently picked up a PRX718XLF. I initially ran the Main LR to the sub and then passed each channel thru to the respective DXR. The 718XLF is internally crossed over at 100hz and the pass thru is Hi Passed at 120hz. So it wouldn't matter if I set the DXRs HPF to 100 or 120 as it is only going to see 120+ from the PRX anyway.
    Edit: The PRX's passthru is selectable at 120hz or full range. My initial setup had the PRX passthru set at full range and the HPF on the DXRs set at 100.

I have since put the sub on aux 5 and 6 and I have the Main LR going to the DXRs with their HPF set at 100.

Here are my questions:
    Should I be concerned about filter slope differences between the DXRs and the PRX?
    Why did JBL crossover the sub, internally, at 100hz and pass thru 120hz, leaving a huge hole?

Thanks, all, for your input.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017