Yamaha DXR8 vs DRX10 / Monitor positioning

Lele

I'm interested in getting a new monitor for my guitar (with amp emulation).
I see many good comments about the DXR10, and I wonder if the DXR8 can be a good choice too.
I would use the DXR speaker as a monitor for me, and also in the rehearsal room so that the bandmates can hear my guitar. At present, I'm the only guitar in the band, but things can change, and in that case it's very likely that any other guitar player will have a more traditional tube amp + guitar cabinet to "duel" with.

I'd like the DXR8 for its smaller size even if its weight is very close to the DXR10.
It seems that you can't use the DXR8 in a foldback position. Hmmm!

But the most important question is how you position your monitor, specially in the rehearsal room.
As a wedge (stage monitor)? on an amp stand (this is what I do now with my current old full range amp)? or on a speaker pole?
And how do you switch the D-contour and hi-pass controls of the DXR speaker?
(sorry... many questions in the same thread)

DunedinDragon

I personally use a DXR12 in order to get an adequate low end, but everyone is different in what they want.

I actually have two of them. One I keep at home for dialing in my patches, and one stays at the rehearsal space and is used for practice and live performances. The only difference is the one at home is placed on top of a 4 foot high bar so I can more easily hear the nuances of the sound as I'm dialing it in and normalizing the volume levels between the patches. The other is placed on the floor behind me at rehearsal and live performances, unlike the one at home, is set to the monitor setting to avoid bass buildup.

As far as settings, both are set the same except for the monitor mode on the live speaker. All tone and volume controls are set to 50% and the low cut filter is off. I prefer to adjust the low cut from my modeler as that varies from amp to amp.

The reason I position it this way is to better simulate the stage sound of a traditional amp for both myself and the band. Our normal floor monitors only have vocals and harmonica sent to them, so it's up to us to achieve an appropriate stage volume and mix with the instruments. Since all instruments and vocals go through the mixer to the fronts we've just found this setup easier for us to adjust to rather than relying on the soundman to balance our sound through the monitor system.

Trending Topics