Yamaha G series amps : GI or G II ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by va3ux, Dec 19, 2009.

1. va3ux

va3ux Member

The Yamaha G series combo amps always seem to get favorable mention.

Which series is preferred : the original G series, or the GII series with the parametric EQ ? And was Paul Rivera involved with one of these ?

My interest is mainly clean sounds; don't care about distortion.

Thanks....Phil

2. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Both are great; I think Rivera was involved in a later series, but might have had a hand in the II. I own a G30-112 and a B50-115 - both are still working like a charm. The JX series, I found, was a bit of a letdown.

The GI and GII are both Clean enough for acoustics but have decent grind and tone with a stompbox OD.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

both are great but if you blow a transistor there are not relacement parts. Better off going for a peavey transtube bandit which sounds better and is cheaper IMO

4. va3ux

va3ux Member

I've seen you praise the Bandit before Jack. Which version is it you like ? (ie Red Stripe, Blackface, Teal stripe, etc).

5. drewl

drewl Member

What the output drivers? There's gotta' be something that would work.
    Not to slag your amp choice, but I had a G100 4x12 I saved for in my teens and it was just the most horrible sounding sterile amp I've ever played.
    I wish there were forums like this when I was a kid so I could have bought something good with that hard earned money. I think the little combos may sound a little better, but there are far too many better sounding alternatives IMO.

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The red stripe is the one I have and like. I'm not sure if the others are the same or not.

7. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I have owned 3 different II series Yamahas over the years, still have one (my G100-112 II with an Eminence Tonker is my current gigging amp). FWIW I do the "clean amp + pedals" thing with it. Never owned or played a I series, though. I love the II series, and I find the parametric eq indispensable. I'd really like to try another G100-212 II just for the dispersion of 2 12's. Had one years and years ago but sold it because I wasn't happy with my tone- turned out it was the pickups in my guitar I didn't like.

I've been very curious about the red stripe Bandits- I've only briefly played through one sitting in with a band once, and I was really impressed. Jack, how would you describe the difference, or what qualities of tone or feel do you think are better on the Bandit versus the Yamaha? (Not arguing at all-I'm sincerely interested in a Bandit). I own an 80's Peavey Special 130, but there seems to be a little more "depth" to the Yamaha, somehow- wonder if the Bandit is better in that regard?

The common consensus is virtually all the Bandits are worth checking out, with of course the red stripe Transtube ones seeming to be the highest regarded. I used a Bandit 65 years and years ago and loved it while I had it.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Oddly, I own both a g100II 2-12 and a Spec 130, too.
    The Yam has a bit more depth, indeed, but with 2-12, it should. I have a v30 as one of them paired with the stock Yam.
    Both are good amps. The PV likes Fender guitars.

The 130 has that mid control that allows one to dial out that bit of boxiness the old 65 Bandit has.

The tube dudes will reject all these but I actually like big, high overhead, clean tones as a base for pedals.

9. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

Yeah, I definitely use the parametric eq on the Spec 130 to take out the boxiness. On the Yamaha lately I have found myself running the parametric eq as sort of a presence knob- I turn the frequency all the way up, and the Q all the way down (narrow Q), turn the parametric level all the way down at first, pull the treble knob (bright switch), and then turn up the parametric level ("presence") up till it sounds right to my ears (usually 9 o'clock, but I'm using a SC tele). Tone_Terrific, how do you run yours, any tips to share?

+1 on the big dynamic clean amp...I need the headroom for loud clean stuff like funk rhythm, western-swing soloing, super clean chords in a pop context, etc- and all without being mic'ed, so the stiff power has to be there. Funny how a lot of guys that call good SS amps "stiff", "sterile", "papery",etc refer to high headroom, high powered tube amps as "dynamic", "responsive","open", etc. Amuses me sometimes...

10. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

I've got a bunch of G series amps but never saw that one. Would take some research . .

[​IMG]

11. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I have a G-100 212 combo from 1981. Mine is Series II. Like others have mentioned, I also run mine clean with a Wampler Cranked AC in front. Seems to be an excellent combination. Mine also has an excellent tremolo & reverb.... better than my Delta Blues 115. Unfortunately - I may be selling my Yamaha. :(

12. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

Hmmm, I might be interested...of course, yielding right of way to the OP first since he's interested enough in those amps to start a thread in the first place....

13. twanguero

twanguero Member

Tremolo? Wow, my g100 series 2 head doesn't have trem. Wish it did, the reverb is great. What it does have is a 3 band eq for each channel. Do the combos have that?

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I tend to play brightish guitars on the main, lead channel, hi input, hi master setting, low gain, and run without the treble boost and with a bit of mid push in the 1.2khz region, adjusting the main controls for eq. Lots of options on these amps.
    The requirement for clean and loud in some styles doesn't seem to affect some players at all. If I could find an amp that does it all at any volume in all venues, I'd have one of those ($ permitting). Clean with pedals is an effective, versatile, compromise.

No trem on my combo and a master quasi-parametric eq section.

15. va3ux

va3ux Member

Thanks for the thought but I'm in Canada and I wouldn't likely buy one from that far away just due to shipping cost. Please go ahead.
    These Yamaha amps come up around here (southern Ontario) on CL and Kijiji from time to time. There's a G100 series II head I noticed the other day and that's what prompted the post.

16. va3ux

va3ux Member

Original speaker or other Jack ?

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

A PV redstripe Bandit just dropped in, here.:D

Clean channel is good, a bit bright.

The lead ch is brittle, at best. NOT a blues machine, not classic rock, not good for clean to crunchy country...better to avoid it. Disappointing in all modes, "modern" is buzzsaw.

Pedals to the clean side, again.

Clean, with stock speaker, is pretty good. Yup.

Yam is higher-fi-ier, in a good way. More depth...whatever.

18. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

How would I ship this thing out to someone not in the Houston area?

I have to admit I really don't want to sell it but I also would like to see it be used by someone as it's just sitting in my garage.

19. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

20. va3ux

va3ux Member

If it were me, I'd go to some music stores and see if they have any original boxes from the amps they have in their showroom because they'll never likely use them again. You'd want something from a similar sized amp. Or visit some "big box" stores and get a box for a TV set or something like that.