Yamaha G100b-212 any users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jockman, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jockman

jockman Member

I recently bought one, what a fantastic sounding amp, way way beyond what I was expecting, and that was with the dreadful cheap McKenzie speakers in, it now has 2 x C-Rex's and it is well, superb. It takes the Tim pedal just great, and that combination gives it a 'valvey' presence.
    It is in need of a little service, there is a little hum that comes through, and the odd little rustle sound.
    The only thing I find about it that is strange, is the way the speakers are connected, not an everyday jack socket, and there is a wire connected between the 2 speakers that looks as though it is some sort of 'ground' wire. Any users know what it is?
    Anyone want to comment on the amp? Would love to hear other users comments.

Jon

2. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I used to have one when they were new. I believe Paul Rivera had a hand in designing those. I'm not sure what happened to that amp!

Terry

3. jockman

jockman Member

Thanks Terry, can you remember your opinion of it? I have heard it being called the SS Twin amp, I would say that is a good description. The distortion on the amp is BAD!, and the reverb is nice if it is kept low, seems to be a bit metallic sounding.

Jon

4. jockman

jockman Member

Could it be that I am unique in using a rare amp?:):dude

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

One of the greatest living jazz/fusion guitar players, Mike Stern, has used one for years...

6. bzrkrage

bzrkrage Member

I bought one as a back up amp, turns out it's the amp I use most! This thing rocks. The Japanese SS 'Twin' is what some people called it.
    The distortion is a little weak, but pedals do the trick.

7. BCJek

BCJek Member

The third wire used to run from the amp chassis near the white connector to one of the mounting bolts for the speaker, and then the two speaker frames were connected together. Grounded speaker frames.

I have a "Hundred 212" which is the same thing as the g100.

8. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a G50 210. That would be your amp's little brother.
    Killer little SS amp.