Yamaha LLX16

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Lost_Cause, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I have made arrangements to play and probably purchase a "used" Yamaha LLX16 guitar next weekend. It seems like it is a pretty versatile guitar for both playing acoustically and plugged in. It seems to me that a bone nut and saddle might be an easy upgrade. this guitar seems to be a good bang for a good bang for the buck acoustic being solid wood and the electronics being pretty nice. I don't have the cash for a similar appointed American guitar. I love Yamaha products and have and have had plenty of amps and guitars so I have plenty of confidence in the brand. I did play athe LL16 model yesterday and was pretty happy with the feel and sound. I am just wondering if the are any thoughts and experience with this guitar that anyone would share.

Thanks

2. pinchegordo

pinchegordo Member

I have an LJ6 with a Martin thinline that is my go to/ gigging guitar .... I have also played the LL16 & LL26 and they are amazing instruments the X is just an electric acoustic version of these .... I have the utmost confidence in any Yamaha although I think that they are over built..not a bad thing in regard to durability , I think if the top wasn't so thick it would be a bit punchier JMHO

3. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

This is my first acoustic purchase in about 20 years. I am not worried about not liking the guitar since I played the non electric version and it is basically new. at some point in the future if It makes sense I will look for another but I am mainly looking for a guitar that can offer me many things and it sounds like this is a great guitar for this. It is black which is cool for me. Color is not that important but black is very Johnny Cash so I am ok with that. I like the solid woods. I like the sound of the electronics. It is a made in China guitar but at this price point for this guitar that is not an issue.

4. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I got the guitar. Sounds very good plugged in. Badly needs a setup before it will plays and sounds as well as it should acoustically. Not quite there. I'll probably put on a bone saddle at least at that time. I will have to report back.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Note that a bone saddle may or may not work well with an undersaddle pick-up. In my experience Tusq works well for a balanced output because the material has a consistent density throughout.. I have had issues using bone where some strings are quite a bit louder than others.

6. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

The ART system uses three transducers. One on the treble side on on the bass side and one MAIN transducer that goes across all of the strings. the is a volume knob for each transducer to mix and a master volume so. I am not sure how this system differs from some. I only know that the strings to not really ring or sustain to much. Good clarity and sound but it is missing some. when amplified the sound is great and can be played with but it is missing a little sizzle.

any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

7. ballynally

ballynally Member

Could be an effect of a new spruce top guitar. The resin of the spruce takes a while to harden. Most new guitars nowadays do not have aged tops, so it might sound great in 4 years or so. I have tried a similar Yamaha. Sounded a tad unlively. But great pickup system, overall construction very good, might not be the best acoustically, but plugged in excellent.
    Time will tell, but i usually don't buy a new sprucey.Yamaha has got the mix right in the ac-el dep, most of the time. One of the reasons i still have my old APX4 that i take out to noisy bars for a gig.

8. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

It certainly has that. The ART system sounds pretty nice. I also think that I am so used to playing electric that it is a little harder for me to play. s I get used to the guitar the sustain and clarity become more pronounced. I am more than happy. I'll probably get the Larry Cragg pins and maybe try a new saddle but I think it will all come out in the wash with more playing.