Yamaha Magicstomp: How are the tremolos, vibratos, reverbs and delays?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Catoogie, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Hi,

I have one of these and have barely used it. With this new gig I got I'm needing to put together a pedalboard and I was hoping to use the Magicstomp to take the place of a few pedals. I would mostly be using it for tremolo, vibrato, reverb and some delay. Can you get organic, subtle sounds from it or is it digital-y? This project is a rootsy singer-songwriter thing with a full band.

Anyone have clips of some subtle, classic sounding effects courtesy of the Magicstomp?

Thanks!

2. This is the Edg

This is the Edg Member

3. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Yeah those are cool but I'm looking for examples that are a little less 'wet'.

4. kp8

kp8 Member

All those effects you name are passible, or excellent on the MSII. The reverbs and delays are very good, the tremolo, not as good or as flexible as my Empress, but still very much use-able, and the while no one is going to mistake your magicstomp for a maggie, you will be pleasantly surprised with the vibrato (imo) and you will have so many other great things to boot. The ring mod, while not gritty like a true diode ring modulator is wonderful, you also get some get pitch shifting for 12-sims, etc. and a bunch of other things. The only thing really missing from this box for me is a reverse delay. You can kludge one, but to my ears, it doesn't sound right. The MS II is well worth it for the verbs and delays alone (imo).

-kp8--

5. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I used to people asking about pedals that they don't own....How does the magicstomp sound to you since you own it? I like mine, but think the switches are terrible.

6. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

I got one for the same reason - it replaced a flanger, trem, chorus, phaser, reverb, and digital delay pedals on my board.

Since you've already got the MS, join one of the yahoo groups, and download some of the patches people have put together; even though the YouTube demos are really wet, it's easy to dial back a lot of it. I don't consider it digital-y at all. Sure, you might find a dedicated pedal that you might like better, but that's no different than liking an ADA flanger better than a Boss, and with the Magicstomp, you can have a patch for each type of tone.

I think the Magicstomp sounds really good, and is a bang-for-the-buck winner in terms of sounds and pedal board space.

7. claffman

claffman Member

You used to what?

And yes, the switches are not of the best quality.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Magicstomp's now discontinued, huh?
    Man, this happens too frequently at Yamaha... <sigh>

9. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

i own four!!!! they rock replaced my mm-4.... the switches are crap but the sounds are great i got my first to replace my mm-4 and in the mm-4 i used only the trems and rotary and the msfor this is great and smaller....

now i have 2 on my board one i can use as a sim to change my ac30 sound to sound like a twin and the other for effects....

i also have 2 in another board that acts as my acoustic board and also a can be my direct board...... i got a much better sound with and overdrive and one ms as an amp sim and the other for delays or chorus or trems or whatever than i ever got out of pod 2, podxt tonelab SE, and j-station..