Yamaha Mfc10, Behringer Fcb1010, Roland Fc-200 Foot Controllers..are They Big Enough?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by The Revolution, May 18, 2015.

1. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

I really need one of these to control my rack....but with my analog pedalboard of tube drivers, dynacomps and fuzzes etc..

WHERE THE HELL AM I GOING TO FIND THE FLOOR SPACE FOR THESE MONSTERS??!

Somebody must be making a compact version...I am not playing stadiums, I have to squeeze onto little stages at times.

2. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

[​IMG]
    Why not put 3 expression pedals on there? And a drink holder?

3. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

4. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

5. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I know, they are huge, but at least they are light. There are very small MIDI USB controllers (Keith McMillen) but you need a converter - a little pricier too, but might be what you are looking for

6. texasdave

texasdave Member

I guess it all comes down to how much control you want to have over your rack. I've been looking at some of the peak2005.com units. They can get small. Are you going to toggle midi cc# values within a patch or are you going to be 100% patch swapping? Need expression pedal?

For reference look how big these actually are:

[​IMG]

I've set a Pedaltrain NANO across the FC300 for reference.

My contention is the HD500 has been the space saver, not the stage hog… If you've really got zero space, one of the small Peak units (shorter than the NANO) or even a MIDI mouse just to scroll up and down your patches. My thought when i set that on the FC300 was "well if you put 5 pedals on a nano and a volume or wah next to it, you're using up nearly as much real estate.

I haven't done the full monty set up yet, but the MIDI assignment on the HD500 look pretty decent.

I would write down your minimum MIDI requirements then chase the smallest unit that at least meets those requirements. If you do that and post, someone may have a recommendation that gets there.

Texasdave

7. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

I think Moog had a controller that was a good size..where d it go? This is perfect..

[​IMG]

8. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

The Liquid Foot mini is very compact, as are some of the Molten Voltage and Disaster Area controllers. As said above, your specific needs would help clarify.

One ironic bit with moving from the Fcb to a LF Mini: the Mini and Roland Ev5 are so light that I frequently kick them around, whereas the heavier Fcb stayed firm. I'm not going to start mounting everything to a pedalboard and reach the same size and weight I had before. Oh well, must be more careful.

Joe

9. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

As was mentioned before, the size of the controller depends on how much control you need. The other limitation is the size of the human foot. There are all sorts of controllers available; what are your requirements?

I have a FCB; it is big but very capable, plus it is very thin. IMHO the best compromise of size vs capability is a Line 6 Shortboard, but the MkII version will only do midi over USB so a converter is necessary.

10. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

I just need controller with an expression pedal and a couple of switches to change between about 6 or 7 patches on my rack fx, and I need cv output so that means the MOOG is the way, if I could find one....