Yamaha or Breedlove

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Serge53, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Serge53

Serge53 Member

i want to buy an inexpensive acoustic and I'm torn between the Yamaha LL16D & the Breedlove Stage Dreadnought. Any recommendations? I own a Taylor 814CE, but I'm looking to add something new.

2. Serge53

Serge53 Member

That's the problem I'm having in deciding which one to choose. They are built well and are priced the same at @ $1000.00. The Yamaha comes with a case while the Breedlove comes with a gig bag. Hmm....

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I liked both when I played them, I thought the Yamaha was louder and had better tone (to my ears) --but the Breedlove has better electronics and I think a wider neck which some prefer. I did not like the Yamaha's pickup's tone, and I like having an onboard preamp and volume control, which the yamaha lacked.

So it depends, for live performance out of the box I think the edge goes to breedlove, I think the Yamaha fundamentally is a better sounding guitar, in fact, it sounds better than many more expensive guitars to my ears, but I would upgrade the pickup system.

4. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Ive had a couple of Breedloves and theyre nice looking guitars but I finally settled on a Taylor for playability, the high end Yamahas are extremely nice and tuneful...so my vote goes to Yamaha!

5. jcs

jcs Member

$1000 is inexpensive?

I like Yamahas.....I must own 5 of them which are all used purchases with some kind of minor damage, often just cosmetic ...including a late 60's FG-180 for $10.

I've been checking out new $1000 acoustics....I just am not hearing a big enough difference between them & some of my lowly Yamahas.

6. 1224 Lee

1224 Lee Member

I bought a new ll16 recently. Make sure you get it thoroughly checked out. So neck relief and action, also set neck angle. The action on mines a little high out of the box and while there's some adjustment from shaving the plastic saddle not much. This of course applies to any acoustic..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

No question the Yamaha is the one to go for. I have owned several 'L' series including a Japanese-made LL26, two older LL6 models and my current LL16D. Good enough for Bert Jansch, James Taylor, John Denver, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, Jimmy Page, Paul Simon. Definitely good enough for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO_Xxq3LVw

8. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The Yamaha has a 1.75" nut; is the Breedlove's really wider than that?

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The Breedloves have more money tied up in cosmetics. They also have a thicker finish which might limit the vibration of the top.
    I find it worthwhile to play through several examples to find a gem. The Yamahas tend to be more consistent IME.

10. Serge53

Serge53 Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I truly appreciate everything you all said even the $1000 comment. :D It seems here that the majority is leaning towards the Yamaha. I'm going out today and play them both. I just wish one store would have them both in stock. It would be easier to compare that way.

11. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Yamaha. But I'd get it without the electronics and fit something like a K and K.

12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

No, my bad I guess, I thought the Yamaha was 1 11/16.

13. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Hands down.....Yamaha. Just great guitars at whatever price range. (I own one and 2 Larivees and a Taylor. It is loud, beautiful tone and has aged nicely.

14. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I've tried both brands. I own Breedloves. They play so well. I find them to be a perfect blend between a Taylor and a Martin.

15. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  16. BigSB

BigSB Member

Yamaha. They've been building guitars at every price point for decades.

Most Breedlove stuff is now made specifically to BE amplified, with the onboard guts, etc.

Higher-end Yamaha guitars are still built to be great GUITARS first, and the electronics are meant to highlight that tone. The Breedloves (imported ones) I've played all seem to be a plug-in instrument first and acoustically good only secondly.

I spent $350 on a Yamaha A/E once that was my favorite guitar I've ever played, ever, and I once owned a stable of high-end and vintage guitars.

17. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Not so famíliar with the yamaha's, but the breedloves are great guitars. Most I have palyed are in the 500-800 range, and I have found no equal to those guitars in that price range. The american Breedloves are a bit more than 1000 as I remember, and you need to get up in the $1500+ range to get back to the bang for buck range, where those guitars will compete with 2000-3000 dollar guitars from taylor etc.

DonR

18. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Yamaha, and don't rule out the less expensive laminate models. My LS6 A.R.E. is an outrageous guitar for less than half of your $1K budget.

19. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

I don't see how you could go wrong with either as long as you're at least going mid range on the money.

20. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

I concur with this. I've owned seven Breedloves (2-steel strings, 2-nylons, 2-mandolins, and an acoustic bass) and played many others. In the $1.5K - $3K range, nothing compares for the price IMO. My $2K C25 SReH compares favorably to the $3K Taylors and Martins. My nylon Passport N250 is a very nice budget nylon as well. Though it doesn't have the quality of tone that my Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova had, it's still a very nice guitar for the money.

At any rate... I think that with any brand, there are stand-outs and there are also-rans. I have some Yamaha guitars that are great and they've always been a hard brand to beat overall for guitars under $1K. Their new all-solid models are very nice. My Breedlove dealer is also a Yamaha dealer and he had me in the acoustic room comparing the new Yamahas recently and they were very good. I actually like the $1K model that he had better than the $1400 limited edition model that he had.