• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Yamaha reface yc 37 question

Hi guys. Imma really big Doors fan and a fan of Ray Manzarek. I really like the Vox Continental sound too. I was wondering if it's possible to get a Vox Contonental sound on the Yamaha YC 37.

greenlander

Yes, the Reface YC can get several combo organ sounds. There is a "Wave" knob that selects different tone characters:

H = Hammond
V = Vox
F = Farfisa
A = Ace Tone (early Roland combo organ)
Y = Yamaha YC

The "drawbar" sliders on it don't exactly match up to the tabs and drawbars on each of those respective combo organs, but you can do a passable approximation. There are Youtube demos, but most of them are about 90% Hammond stuff, then quickly through the combo sounds.

The Reface YC is probably the cheapest and most comprehensive option for combo emulation right now (if not the only dedicated combo emulator).

Nord do a great Vox/Farfisa on most of their range; the Hammond SK's model the same; the Roland VR09 has a single 'combo' option based off a Vox which is passable at best; none of them model the YCs or Acetones that are in the Reface in such a small package. The only weakness is the minikeys and sub-par distortion when used with rotary (IMO), but a nice MIDI controller and maybe an external rotary sim if you're picky will easily fix that.

greenlander

There was a Korg prototype of a full-size reissue Vox Continental that appeared at some trade shows several years ago. Pictures and rumors were floating around, but I'm not sure if they ever actually plan to release a production version. The consumer base for a standalone transistor combo organ (well, a digital clone) is probably pretty small (Doors cover bands, etc.) since most current clonewheel Hammond-based organs have Vox or Farfisa patches thrown in already.

I have a Hammond XK-1c and it has both types (Vox/Farfisa) but they don't sound very close if you've ever played a real vintage Vox or Farfisa. The combo organ patches on the Nord organs sound better just from listening to demos.

The Yamaha Reface YC is a less expensive option if you don't mind the mini keys, or you can just connect a midi controller keyboard.

Muziker

Hi guys. Imma really big Doors fan and a fan of Ray Manzarek. I really like the Vox Continental sound too. I was wondering if it's possible to get a Vox Contonental sound on the Yamaha YC 37.
The original single manual Conti has 4 harmonic drawbars. The fourth (IV) is a mixture of 2 2/3' ,2', 1 3/5' and 1' so to get this sound on the YC you need to pull these four drawbars in equal degrees and not use the 5 1/3' or 1 1/3' at all. The double manual Contis use the same 4 drawbars on the lower keyboard but have have two "Mixture" drawbars instead of one on the upper keyboard. The first of the two (II) uses a mixture of 5 1/3' and 1 3/5' and the second (III) uses a mixture of 2 2/3', 2', and 1'.

dewey decibel

I've been interested in this for awhile. Let's say I was going to use this mainly with my DAW and midi controller, would I be better off going with software sims? Years ago I looked for software sims for combo organ sounds and didn't find much, and what I did find wasn't very convincing.

rte1023

It definitely gets plenty of Manzarek's Doors tones. The Reface series doesn't get enough love, I've been looking into the CP for awhile. the YC is great

greenlander

Years ago I looked for software sims for combo organ sounds and didn't find much, and what I did find wasn't very convincing.
Martinic Combo Model F (Farfisa) and Combo Model V (Vox) are great sounding sims, and they're free. I believe the guy who designed those was hired or licensed by Arturia to make their commercial products so he took them off his website, but the original free versions can still be found on vst4free or KVR.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom