• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Yamaha Revstar RSP20CR - 2 week review

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
Quick review of the Yamaha RSP20CR:

PROS:
  • Awesome look, flawless build
  • Action and intonation was perfectly setup right out of the box
  • VH7 pickups are some of the best sounding pickups I've ever played, articulate but can grind
  • Dry switch is very useful and sounds fantastic when engaged on the neck PU, great single-coil-ish sound
  • Neck is smooth and very playable, no fatigue
  • Tuners are super crisp
  • Sound is awesome (ridiculous superlatives ahead...)
    • Full and even across all the strings
    • Acoustically loud
    • Great sustain (clean and dirty)
    • A bit more focused sound that my PRS SE Bernie (Less airy)
CONS:
  • Frickin' HEAVY!!! 9.15 lbs. Its becoming the one reason I may send this back even though its one of the better sounding guitars (including my 2005 R9) I've played.
I'm really torn with what to do, but at this price point I'd put this guitar up against many production and custom guitars. This is my first Yamaha and I an very impressed (except for the weight!)

Yamaha 350

Quick review of the Yamaha RSP20CR:

PROS:
  • Awesome look, flawless build
  • Action and intonation was perfectly setup right out of the box
  • VH7 pickups are some of the best sounding pickups I've ever played, articulate but can grind
  • Dry switch is very useful and sounds fantastic when engaged on the neck PU, great single-coil-ish sound
  • Neck is smooth and very playable, no fatigue
  • Tuners are super crisp
  • Sound is awesome (ridiculous superlatives ahead...)
    • Full and even across all the strings
    • Acoustically loud
    • Great sustain (clean and dirty)
    • A bit more focused sound that my PRS SE Bernie (Less airy)
CONS:
  • Frickin' HEAVY!!! 9.15 lbs. Its becoming the one reason I may send this back even though its one of the better sounding guitars (including my 2005 R9) I've played.
I'm really torn with what to do, but at this price point I'd put this guitar up against many production and custom guitars. This is my first Yamaha and I an very impressed (except for the weight!)
Do not let the weight put you off. Agile guitars and my Italia weigh just as much or more. Yamaha makes great stuff.

DarrellM5

Do you play gigs or just at home? 9 lbs is heavy for a gigging guitar, for some, but doesn't really matter when sitting down. I have 22 solidbody electrics and the heaviest is 8.6 lbs (lightest is 6.4).

I'd have a hard time sending a guitar back just because of weight when everything else was perfect.

Devnor

RSP20CR is a killer guitar, I'm surprised to see someone actually bought one. I spent quite a bit of time with one - the neck, oh man. It reminded me of my R0 yet felt Japanese. The feel in hand compared with the best guitars out there. Perfect. The one I played didn't feel that heavy. Just great, fantastic. Congrats on your new guitar.

lloydrx

Having personally had to play an acrylic warlock I'm not sure anything can feel as heavy to me. I can say if you gig let the adrenaline take over and play the revstar. Great guitar

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
I really like them. For me the necks are just too thin. My hands and wrists start to cramp within minutes of playing a thin neck. If they ever made a P90 revstar with just a hint of thickness behind the neck, I'd buy one. It wouldn't need to be even fat, just .840" at the nut. I do think the P90's in them sound great, and I love the dry switch thing.

Ape Factory

Huh, I'll have to measure the neck on my Rester RS502 (P90's) but I would not call the neck thin at all. Thin being Ibanez Wizard or thereabouts. I'm guessing mine weighs right at or a bit under 8 pounds. Will get weight and neck measurements.

teletalkin

Gold Supporting Member
I have been playing a RSP20CR for the last few weeks at Blues Angel Music. I live about an hour away. This one is a new B stock (very little ding by the tone knob) for a nice price. Every time I go in there I play it for quite awhile. Beautiful tones especially through a Quilter Steelaire. My favorite amp by far at the moment. Well I couldn't put it off any longer, and it will arrive to me tomorrow. Really looking forward to spending quality time with the guitar this weekend between yard work, a brake shoe change, and taking the family to the beach. Not sure about the "quality" time, but time none the less.

jwguitar

Personally heavy or light doesn’t bother me. I don’t think much about it either way. I see weights listed quite often so I know it’s a concern for many. I let the sound and playability dictate my choices.
I agree with you 100%. If the guitar sounds good you just deal with the weight. Since when is 9.15lbs heavy for a guitar?!

keefsdad

I'll be the odd man out and say if the weight bothers you, send it back. I think it's kind of important, especially if you play out.

Trending Topics