Yamaha RGZ-211M humbucker wiring, color codes?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Al Varez, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

I've got a Yamaha humbucker from a late 80's or early 90's Yamaha RGZ. I cannot find online anywhere or figure out the correct wiring for it. It has four wires (white, green, yellow, red) and a bare wire. Anyone know what the wiring schemes are for this? I checked the Yamaha manual site and they don't go back this far and the newer pickups have different color wires.

2. supermodified

supermodified Member

Did you ever figure it out? I've got the same situation right now.

3. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

I think I did. I installed it in another guitar, years ago.

4. supermodified

supermodified Member

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

There aren't that many possible combinations so you can usually try one or two and get it right. Tie the green and bare together and ground those as that is almost universally the same. Of the white, yellow, and red, two will be connected and taped off and the other is your hot. I'd guess the white and yellow get soldered together and taped off and the red is your hot. If that doesn't work try the yellow and red together with the white as hot.

6. supermodified

supermodified Member

Thanks, it's good information. I was figuring I'd have to test the ohms to figure it out, and then the challenge is figuring out which is in phase and out. I'd like to avoid having to wire it, plug it in to test for phase and then rewire and so forth, it's a front loader and I have to restring. But I will figure it out.

7. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

There's a pretty handy article on determining which wires go to which coils, and which are the start/finish (+/-) wires for those coils here if you're interested.