Yamaha SG...who has one?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6stringgrind, Aug 24, 2006.

1. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

I have a 70's Yamaha SG1500 (I incorrectly called it a 1000 in a previous post) that I plan to modify. Probably new pickups, refret, maybe new nut. This thing is heavy! Weighs more than any Les Paul I've played. I've heard people call these "Les Paul killers", and I'm certainly hoping to make mine one! It sounds good now, but I think it could be truly great.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else here has a Yamaha SG, and if so, what is your opinion of it?

2. brad347

brad347 Member

I had one for a minute. It went out the door to buy an engagement ring for my lovely lady last year, but while I had it I thought it was great.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I have a SBG2000. Killer, killer guitar. Plays great, sounds great with the stock pickups, is neck-thru body, has coil taps, etc.....

As far as sound and playability, on the same league as my Gibson and Prs guitars. A very fine guitar.:AOK One of the best bargains on the resale market.

I didn't change a thing from the stock set-up. I would pay for pups or any work it needed, it just doesn't need it.

4. telest

telest Member

I've owned three SG2000s since '80. All great, all stock, all heavy. Back then I didn't mind the weight issue, but since then I've plenty of nice light guitars and I can't go back.

Steve

5. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

I have a SG2000 but no coil tap (?)

6. telest

telest Member

My first one, '79?, didn't have the coil tap, but I think from '80 or so on they were tap equipped.

Steve

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

I'd get an SG2000 in a heartbeat if they weren't so damn heavy.

8. telest

telest Member

I'm curious about the 700 series. They are made of Agathis?, instead of Mahogany. Suppose to weigh much less.

Steve

9. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

I have a 4 serial number ('76) Black SG2000. I bought it new in '77. It's a real player. Not stock, not pretty. Has Seymore Duncans coil tap mini switches, a shaved neck (unfinished) and large frets; it rocks.

And it weighs a ton. I have a occaisional daydream of having it refinished (the neck job revealed a very nice grain tinged with black).
    If I do this I'd like to explore some way to lighten the sucker up a couple of pounds.

Great guitar!

10. LaXu

LaXu Member

In my experience Agathis is only used on cheap guitars and it usually tends to be pretty heavy.

11. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Hi 6stringgrind I have one of the rares SG1600, that is basicaaly a SG2000 with one less binding, coil tap, sunburst, gold hardware. It is an awsome guitar, no more heavy than my Les Pauls, great tone and higher output on the pickups than the regular LP's. Thin neck with ebony fingerboard and great inlay work. This one is from around '86 and they were not manny in the US according with the information I have read. Still made in Japan and very nice made.

Enjoy yours!

12. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

Hey Mcclassic!

I'm not much for gold hardware, so the 1500 was perfect for me. Black with silver hardware is a favorite combo of mine. My SG is a cool guitar, for sure, and after I'm through with it, it's gonna be even better!

13. telest

telest Member

Well, there goes that theory out the window. :jo

Steve

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have an SBG-3000 model. Kind of like the equivalent to the Gibson Les Paul Custom.

15. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Here is my SG2000...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. paintguy

A lousy picture of mine. Yes, I painted the pup rings and pickguard cream.

[​IMG]

17. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

paintguy,
    was that a 2000? i had and then sold one when i was younger and stupid. i think it was late 70's, no coil taps, sunburst. i didn't dig the flatter frets that were on it, so i traded it for a cassette 4 track, DOH!

if i had know then what i know now

joe

18. guitarmanuk

guitarmanuk Member

I had an SG800 that I bought in the 80's. I used it a lot when I was younger but as I got older, my back just couldn't take it for a whole night. I bought the Patrick Eggle I have now 13 years ago and the SG never got a look in. I ended up selling it as it just sat in its case doing nothing. However, I concur with everything else that has been siad. It was a killer guitar and I loved the sound, just couldn't take the weight!

19. paintguy

Joe,
    It's a SBG2000 with coil taps. I believe it was made in the 80's. A very fine guitar. Being that I have quite a few nice guitars, and I really need to downsize to what gets played regularly, this is available for sale or trade.

20. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Member

My #1 is an SG2000 I've had since '77 or so (can't remember). The only modifications are a Joe Barden Two-Tone Humbucker in the bridge and a push-pull tone pot to get the Barden into Tele/Strat mode. I rarely use the Barden in full humbucker mode, so it was wired "split" in the push position, and "out" is full humbucker.

The original neck pup is to die for, and I don't know what pickup could ever replace it. Its so clean, fat, bluesy and loud.

I keep both pups on most of the time and blend the with the volume controls. The Barden needs to be as close to the strings as possible, otherwise the original neck pup overpowers it. The Barden is a trebely clean pup and can get chicken pickin twangy when on by itself. I even removed the tone cap for more treble.

Old wood sounds soooo good when its been heavily gigged as this one has. The only thing thats been worrying me is, its got few gigs left in it before I'll have to decide when and where it'll get new frets and a PLEK job.