Yamaha SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Vashin, May 13, 2006.

1. Vashin

Vashin Member

Hey guys, I'm wondering about the Yamaha SG/SBG guitars, particularly the older ones. Does anyone have experiences? And what are the market prices for the 2000/1000 models.

Thanks for any info.

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I have one. I think it is a killer guitar and made real well. The pups sound very good too. I would put it up against the american builders any time.

As far as prices, I've seen one's similar to mine anywhere from $750.00 to $1400.00. Pretty big range, but worth it at the $1400.00 price.(imo) Definitely a un-sung hero. Must be a reason why Santana and many others used these guitars. Like a Les Pauls meets an SG. Thick like a Paul, but great upper fret access like an SG. A great value imo.

Mine's a SBG2000. Cherry sunburst, neck through body, 2 push-push tone controls for tapping and such.

Mine also is for sale if you are interested. Near mint condition and recently set-up by the a luthier who worked at Yamaha's Custom Shop.

Just haven't got around to taking pictures and posting the guitar for sale. I have 14 guitars right now and am trying to get down to 4-5. All of them are great, just can't justify keeping them all.

Good luck on the hunt, and if you find a good one, you won't be sorry.

Larry

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have an SBG-3000. It's like a double cutaway Les Paul Custom. Love the sound and feel, but it's not light.

4. OLIE J

OLIE J Member

I have a SBG 1000 that I bought new in 1983. Black with gold hardware. These are very well built, good sounding guitars. Mine is now tucked safely away (retired) in a closet. The only negaitive thing I can say about mine is that is is neck heavy (probably due to the small body and strap button placement).

5. telest

telest Member

Great, great guitars, I've owned three. As stated before they are HEAVY. I believe all the models below the 1000 are made of Agathis, (which is in the Pine tree family), with a maple top. These are said to be much lighter. If I ever start playing much again, I would buy another.

Steve

6. Vashin

Vashin Member

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm mainly looking at a SG1000 that's in a local store, but I'm still way ahead of myself. I need to get a new amp first, and I was thinking of the Savage macht 12.

7. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

Keep in mind that the SG1000 is a set neck and not a neck through. It also doesn't have the same brass block under the bridge. I'm sure it's still an awesome guitar, but I'd probably look around for an SG 2000. I got mine for $800 last august through a west coast connection.

There's a lot more information on the whole history of the Yamaha SG line in this Vintage Guitar article:
    http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=184

Hope this helps!
    Dave

8. Vashin

Vashin Member

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Yes my SBG 1000 was a marvelous guitar. I learned all my Santana Moonflowers licks on that guitar. I 'd take it over a LP any day.

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Sold my 2 late 70's SG2000's last year (kept my 80-81 SA2000 I bought new), I think they both brought about $800 each on Ebay. Only sold them as the neck profiles were too thin. Note that there are at least 2 distinct neck profiles available on the SG2000's and SA2000's (thin and fat). If you have a preference, keep looking until you find exactly what you need.

The original stock pickups on the SG's (the black uncovered ones) were very strong, but still well balanced. They were fairly heavy guitars, but not any heavier than my former 74 LP Custom.

I'm very glad I've kept my my SA2000 all these years, as it can cover most all of the SG2000 tones, as well as 335 tones. Great pickups on that one as well, a bit fatter tones that can still punch when dimed.

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

My SBG2000 is available if anyone is interested. Hows $900.00 for the neck through version in near mint condition with ohsc?

Maybe I'll take pics and put it up on the emporium.:D