Yamaha SPX90 / SPX-90 / SPX 90 - Reverse Reverb

I've found THREE Yamaha SPX90's for sale in the Netherlands, all for moderately cheap prices. So I'm really thinking about taking my chances just for the reverse reverb and the ability to put it as the last unit in the chain to add some extra dimension with the stereo chorus and flange (on mild settings to modulate some of the huge reverb tails - I don't like to have a hugely modulating effect AFTER the reverb BESIDES a filter, so having a wide and slow chorus might be interesting when mixed in lightly).

Here's where I need your help on reverse reverb and the quality of the unit:
I know it can do the MBV early reflections reverse stuff, which is cool, but can it do the slow swelling reverse stuff like here:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ayuRE5xd8&fmt=18

That's what I want it for mostly.

Also:
I've heard that this rack features the same sounds as the Magicstomp but I hate that pedal and thought the effects were a joke. Is the SPX90 the same, soundwise, as the Magicstomp - or is the Magicstomp just modeled after the SPX series and the SPX series are the original and BETTER sounds?

This is what really can make or break the deal!
Next to that I'm having doubts buying it because I can do so much with the reverse reverbs from several plugins I use. Altiverb even has the ability to just reverse Impulse Responses so you have an instant reverse reverb.

The spx90 and the spx90ll are great..The main concern you should have about the one you are looking at is if the internal battery has been replaced recently..I would look for something newer.IMO

todd richman

That is easy to get replaced-there is a great place near L.A. that does that work. I had 2 old Korg SDD-3000 delays and had them replace the patch memory batteries. Easy repair and not expensive at all.

DANOCASTER

Gold Supporting Member
get an SPX90II - it quieter than the SPX-90 and has better headroom

the magicstomp is very similar but is a pedal and made to operate at gtr level and going into the front end of an amp. The rack stuff is really meant for line level rack stuff and will perform better in that situation.

the SPX-90II really sounds pretty decent. It's not ultra hi-fi but it IS musical and does the MBV sounds - as well as a lot of beautiful Cocteau Twins-style stuff. There's a bunch of cool sounds to be had

I wish I kept mine. I had two in my old Bradshaw rack

the battery is no biggie. It only stores the modified presets somebody else would have saved. So - put a new battery in and worse case you have ONLY the factory presets stored - and have a fresh bank to start making your own

get an SPX90II - it quieter than the SPX-90 and has better headroom

the magicstomp is very similar but is a pedal and made to operate at gtr level and going into the front end of an amp. The rack stuff is really meant for line level rack stuff and will perform better in that situation.

the SPX-90II really sounds pretty decent. It's not ultra hi-fi but it IS musical and does the MBV sounds - as well as a lot of beautiful Cocteau Twins-style stuff. There's a bunch of cool sounds to be had

I wish I kept mine. I had two in my old Bradshaw rack

the battery is no biggie. It only stores the modified presets somebody else would have saved. So - put a new battery in and worse case you have ONLY the factory presets stored - and have a fresh bank to start making your own
I see. We'll see. I already got the SPX90 so it'll be in next week.

Hmm, kinda bummed out hearing it's like the Magicstomp since I AM planning on using the SPX90 on guitars as well. I was really horrified by the Magicstomp and thought it was one of the worst pedals I've ever tried, even after manually tweaking sounds.

We'll see. If it sucks, I'll just put it up for sale again.

Surefyre

I just created an impulse pack for the SPX90ii - I wanted that 99sec verb badly enough to bag a unit and deconvolve it.

Over 1100 impulses across all verbs & ERs. It's non-free but non-expensive also just to help with recovering the cost of the SPX purchase!

http://impulse.surefyre.com

Trending Topics