yamaha t100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Souldozer, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Souldozer

Souldozer Member

what is this amp capable of? thanks;)

2. dogfood

dogfood Member

fetching the paper if you train it correctly. It is a Soldano SLO addmitted by Soldano himself. He was hired by Yamaha to design the T100. It has a reputation for lots of overdrive, I believe it has 5 12ax7 pre amp tubes to create overdrive where the old Marshalls had 3 and the Laneys had 4. I imagine I would be a great Metal amp and should be a great all around amp when you turn the gain down...maybe a little noisy. Clean channel?

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Bold words from someone who does not appear to have owned one. It's not a bad amp but it's not all that and a bag o' chips. There's a lot of first hand experience in squarehead's link.

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

5. Souldozer

Souldozer Member

so in this clip,the slo is the more melower tone?......btw,I did some more research on the head and I read that to get the optimum performance,you need the choke installed to get it more "slo" sounding:rotflmao

6. Souldozer

Souldozer Member

so I guess this amp is not worth the hype eh? well......I have had my eyes on others.......since I am an opeth freak,I have been considering a laney gh50l,5150 combo,peavey valveking 100,or a marshall jcm 900.

7. dogfood

dogfood Member

sorry, the first sentence was an unrelated joke. I was not trying to imply that the amp was the holy grail. It was an askew statement implying the absurdity of "what is this amp capable of? fetching the newspaper." of course dogs fetch newspapers not amps.

As I cannot afford new amps I have internet shopped/ researched this particular amp along with some traynors and some fenders.

Edit: Hey where did the quote run off to...adding it back in.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Yam pops up again. (I posted the clip- the SLO opens but I LIFTED the clip of the SLO just to compare to my YAM and added the t100 bits as fills). Assuming the SLO is fairly represented there- I had to remove/add components to the t100 circiut to get it even that close. The lead circuits are very similar but the yam is deliberately constricted by the components.
    A choke is probably the last thing to add to get close to the SLO.

BUT the Yam does have a discrete clean channel (that od's in a clippy fashion) and does sound OK clean or as a pedal platform and still gives you a useful (after mods) lead channel. Good value?- yes, ultimate tone?- not for me. Potential for better? yes. (but too much tweaking:nono )

9. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I used to own one. It's not a bad amp, but (IMO) it's no SLO...

jb

10. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

I had the choke done, the preamp modded EXACTLY to SLO specs, and the power stage to SLO specs.
    Yes, a slight improvement.
    BUT IT WAS STILL NO WHERE NEAR AN SLO.

keith

11. spindlergallery

spindlergallery Supporting Member

well, i have a t50c running into a marshall 4x12 greenback cab..using a keeley ts808 on the clean channel which sounds good for bluesy stuff. the gain channel to my ears sounds great but does however lack bottom end! I have a orange rockerverb100 with cab/v30's and it sounds pretty good too.. maybe a tad better tone wise a little more 3d punchy but i tell ya the t50c is close to as good a tone.. thats my delimea at the moment! I have been a/bing them the past few days and I am trying to justify the expense of the rockerverb100... Ive gone through alot of amps andfor the cash the t50c is a great value!! thinking I might free up alot of g.a.s. money getting rid of the rocker100! man! It never ends!

12. SFW

SFW Member

I've owned two T100s. Because I forgot how much I disliked the amp the first time around. The clean channel is great. To get the OD channel to be as warm as I wanted, I ran the presence on 2 and the treble on 2. IMHO, you should never have to run the Treble on 2... on any amp.

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have over 25 amps and run the treble and/or presence on MANY Of my amps like that. What's the big deal? That's why they make potentiometers???

ERIC

14. Fireheart

Fireheart Member

With this amp, you hear everything from "It is the same as a Soldano..." to "It is worthless".

I have owned this amp for 10 years and IMHO both extremes are incorrect.

For the record... I sent mine to Soldano and had the choke-mod done and they fixed the reverb cirquit (which was AWFUL apparently due to YAMAHA messing with the original design...)

I own the HEAD version running through a Marshal 4 by 12s
    The cons:

The eq is not expressive enough. The amp itself lacks inherent bottom-end. You have to run the bass all the way to 3 o'clock. Again, having to set an amp on a particular setting is not bad in and of itself... but it gives you an idea of the basic amps characteristics. The Mids and Treble eq can be moved from one extreme to the other without dramatic changes in the tone. The tone will be affected, but not enough to make this amp a stand-alone tone gold-mine.

The Pro's:

The bright switch makes the clean channel sparkle.
    The basic clean amp tone is good and likes pedals.
    It is a dependable piece of equipment.
    With the right pedal set-up, it will cover anything from Metal to pop to blues. This amp likes pedals on the clean channel. The dirty channel likes anything but delays.

Use channel 2 cranked up and it sounds way better.
    Channel 1 has a gain knob too... it will break up if you want it to.

This amp is a great tube budget alternative. IMHO, with enough funds, I would run my set-up through a Lone Star instead.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  15. whyflipoverthfrog

whyflipoverthfrog Member

Channel 2, all knobs on 5 pretty much = AIC "Them Bones".

To my ears, that is.

16. jijifir

jijifir New Member

What type of optocoupler components for yamaha t100 。who know ????

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I had one as well..Same result:horse:horse

18. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

how about, its a great amp, designed by the guy who invented the SLO!
    SLO cicuit , does not an SLO make, but still.
    great amp
    ps, i have an SLO

19. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

welcome to our little group!