• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

YAMAHA THR-II

Spinner65

This or the Boss Waza Air? I like the option of choosing Marshall Plexi or Fender/Vox/Mesa/5150 amps that the Boss doesn't have but I need a headphone based setup. Will Yamaha THR be released in headphone format and thus I'm better off waiting for that?
just plug your headphone into the THR - works great :)

Dr.Chaos

After spending a bit more time with it I wish it just had more knobs on the case so one does not need to use the app to modify all the settings...

Does anyone have any kind of insight for how many years we can expect app to be supported?

As i was lookin for those video i decide to load up my thr editor and amp . well , try this out - it sounds pretty metal to me , eq it to your liking or switch off the compressor etc

I just tried your settings Jon and this is awesome! You should post more! Please, post more!

Dr.Chaos

@Jon Hew I am actually not kidding, there was some magic in the preset you shared that made it sound big and very nice, I would be very keen to see what other presents you usually use :)

Jon Hew

@Jon Hew I am actually not kidding, there was some magic in the preset you shared that made it sound big and very nice, I would be very keen to see what other presents you usually use :)
LMAO , thanks. Appreciate it. That preset was made off the cuff based off some of the ones I have and just basically changing the amp and cabs, some tweaks etc. I'll post a few that I regularly use later tonight when i get back. I've also actually created another preset for Metal which i believe sounds better that's on my THR memory bank now.

highwaystar30

Gentlemen, I didn't read every single post, but I need some quick info: Does Thr10 v2 cover all the amp models that are avaİable with thr10X and Thr10 Classic, as good as the originals? Thanks.

highwaystar30

Also, more casually... anybody who thinks the acoustic channel on the thr10 v1 is the most rewarding one, particularly with gain and master dimed?
edit: not necessarily the most rewarding, just say its awesome good.

Kaelree

Gentlemen, I didn't read every single post, but I need some quick info: Does Thr10 v2 cover all the amp models that are avaİable with thr10X and Thr10 Classic, as good as the originals? Thanks.
No, it's not a 1 to 1 port. Some are the same, some are new, some are different, some are missing.

Jon Hew

Hey mate, work got in the way yesterday and couldn't find time to upload the presets. Anyways here it is, hope you enjoy it. The name of the preset will likely give you the info what it's all about and I didn't upload any clean presets as most of the time i'll roll back the volume on guitar and clean up the gain to play some slightly dirty cleans. The THR has some good factory clean presets as well anyways.

This one if my usual settings for some old school hard rock hair metal. It's my take on the George Lynch sound, higher mids which cuts thru the mix and promises plenty of harmonics.

Self explanatory preset to play the great EVH stuffs. This one is more to his newer sound, the THR preset for Early VH captures his earlier tone.

This one was basically just purely Marty Friedman during Rust In Peace era. His newer stuffs now are much different - lesser gain but still great neverthelesss

This was the other preset i'm using more for Metallica-ish stuffs, something similar to the one i shared earlier.

Lastly, this one has eluded me for some time but I believe i'm getting somewhere there. Still work in progress to get close to that John Petrucci sound. Bear in mind he usually use neck pickup beyond 12 frets and bridge pickup for the lower frets. Mainly testing it out with Scenes from a Memory album.

Hope everyone enjoys it and do feedback n comment.

Last edited:

highwaystar30

No, it's not a 1 to 1 port. Some are the same, some are new, some are different, some are missing.
Thanks that is good info. Are you feeling you are missing out on anything though? Or one would be missing out from those two models by having the new all-in-one version?

ejohnson76

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・゜ THR Trivia & Too Much Info series #2(n‘∀‘)η゚・*:.。..。.:*・゜゚・*

THR(1st gen) V2 update instruction video, starring JK's hands and fingers.
(I was just supposed to provide technical support for the video shooting..)

Lachra

Thanks that is good info. Are you feeling you are missing out on anything though? Or one would be missing out from those two models by having the new all-in-one version?
I have THR10X, and THR30II... I don't feel as if I am missing anything. Closest is I feel that I haven't had the time yet to dial in everything I did with the THR10X, but I do feel it is there. I have been able to dial in better (other) tones.

I have 2 tones on the THR10X that I haven't dialed in on my 30II yet. I feel with one I have dialed in an alternative tone with other qualities that I like, but I still want that other tone, which I feel I can do with some of the other amp models/cab combos. To be fair I have only dialed 3 of the 15 amp models in the unit so far. This is why I feel I can probably re-create (with time) any of the tones that I loved on the THR10X with my THR30II, and it will probably be more defined. (especially in the low end)

Also I can cover way more sonic/tonal territory with the 30II as opposed to the 10X. The 10X didn't like-low tuned guitars, bass had to be dialed way back. The THR30II has better bass response already, so it handles these guitars better. It also has a specific amp model for low-tuned, extended scale guitars on the modern selection and "special" amp. The THR10X had no such thing.

There are like 16 cabinet models too, but honestly I think the 2x12 cabinets need a little work. (mainly in the volume department) - Don't forget "open" or "focused" speaker settings. (so far I prefer "focused" on my current tones that I am dialing in with it)

Only thing is do not rely on the on-board knobs. You WILL NEED the remote app if you are to do any kind of fine tuning. (especially with the FX)

atlasclouded

Advice about latency using the THR10ii as an audio interface?
I've read some posts in this thread, but wondering about any new updates or tips.

First off, I love this amp. It does so much and sounds fantastic. It's been my best friend over quarantine. Recently I've gotten into recording and have been eyeing a Strymon Iridium as a way to get great amp tones. Before I went for it ($400 price tag!) I investigated using the amp models in the THR10ii via USB into my DAW. It connected and sounds really good, except I'm having latency issues. It's not terrible, but it's enough to throw off my feel and make it unpleasant.

Any tips for how to get closer to zero latency with my setup? Are the rumors about the dedicated driver coming soon true?

I kind of wish I had gone for the THR30ii to have the 1/4" stereo out into my audio interface with and zero latency.

I'm using a Mac 10.15.7 (Catalina)
Garageband 10.3.4
THR Remote firmware version 1.40.0a

Jon Hew

Advice about latency using the THR10ii as an audio interface?
I've read some posts in this thread, but wondering about any new updates or tips.

First off, I love this amp. It does so much and sounds fantastic. It's been my best friend over quarantine. Recently I've gotten into recording and have been eyeing a Strymon Iridium as a way to get great amp tones. Before I went for it ($400 price tag!) I investigated using the amp models in the THR10ii via USB into my DAW. It connected and sounds really good, except I'm having latency issues. It's not terrible, but it's enough to throw off my feel and make it unpleasant.

Any tips for how to get closer to zero latency with my setup? Are the rumors about the dedicated driver coming soon true?

I kind of wish I had gone for the THR30ii to have the 1/4" stereo out into my audio interface with and zero latency.

I'm using a Mac 10.15.7 (Catalina)
Garageband 10.3.4
THR Remote firmware version 1.40.0a
Yamaha THR II dedicated ASIO driver is out since last Nov 2020. https://my.yamaha.com/en/products/m...basses/amps_accessories/thr-ii/downloads.html
To be frank i'm not having much issues with latency using it with Presonus & Ableton.

MartinZw

For Windows users a new ASIO4ALL driver is just out. The new Yamaha ASIO driver for THRII is not better than ASIO4ALL in any circumstances.
Users can test, which one gets better results for themselves.
As far as i know on a Mac a special ASIO driver is almost never needed.
Mac Core Audio is much better than the Windows Sound system.
Generally speaking, if you have latency issues, try to reduce the buffer size to the minimum possible. If you avoid unnecessary background tasks, you can reduce the buffers more, without having drop outs.
As well you can try different sample rates to find out settings for better latency.

pc131

To me the most obvious 1st thing to try is a different source. Do you have a different phone, a friend's phone, a tablet, or a computer you can try? That would quickly help you determine if the issue is with the amp or your phone.
So I wiped my HUAWEI MATE 20 clean to factory settings. I installed THR REMOTE, some mp3 player. I connected bluetooth audio, and bluetooth midi (LE_THRII). I started playing mp3 over bluetooth, and played around in THR Remote app. After few whiles the sound disappeared. The player was still playing (not paused), the bluetooth audio connection was still active. Yamaha THR30II had still bluetooth on.

Bummer, I thought.

I called a friend, to come with his phone (new Google Pixel). We checked his phone (bluetooth audio and bluetooth midi connected). And audio over bluetooth from his phone was dropping from time to time (with my phone audio stopped being streamed with player still playing and connection still active).

So I'm returning it, I thought.

I took my laptop and connected it to THR30II bluetooth audio, while my phone was connected to bluetooth midi. And I launched backing track from YouTube.

Now zero drops. Music just played.

I disconnected laptop from bluetooth audio and my phone from bluetooth midi.

My friend then connected some recent Motorola smartphone and it worked! (BT music and BT midi)

Then my friend unpaired and paired again Yamaha THR30II to his Google Pixel (which had audio drops earlier).

And what? Yes - now it played back audio through bluetooth and the remote app was working fine.

So he disconnected his phone and I connected mine.

And what? Yes - now my phone plays mp3 over bluetooth, while connected to bluetooth midi for remote app and now it is working FINE.

I will check it tomorrow morning. If it still works, it stays with me.

I have no idea what happened, but it works. Looks like laptop's bluetooth unblocked Yamaha's bluetooth pipe or what...

@ejohnson76
@Jon Hew
@jdag

jdag

So I wiped my HUAWEI MATE 20 clean to factory settings. I installed THR REMOTE, some mp3 player. I connected bluetooth audio, and bluetooth midi (LE_THRII). I started playing mp3 over bluetooth, and played around in THR Remote app. After few whiles the sound disappeared. The player was still playing (not paused), the bluetooth audio connection was still active. Yamaha THR30II had still bluetooth on.

Bummer, I thought.

I called a friend, to come with his phone (new Google Pixel). We checked his phone (bluetooth audio and bluetooth midi connected). And audio over bluetooth from his phone was dropping from time to time (with my phone audio stopped being streamed with player still playing and connection still active).

So I'm returning it, I thought.

I took my laptop and connected it to THR30II bluetooth audio, while my phone was connected to bluetooth midi. And I launched backing track from YouTube.

Now zero drops. Music just played.

I disconnected laptop from bluetooth audio and my phone from bluetooth midi.

My friend then connected some recent Motorola smartphone and it worked! (BT music and BT midi)

Then my friend unpaired and paired again Yamaha THR30II to his Google Pixel (which had audio drops earlier).

And what? Yes - now it played back audio through bluetooth and the remote app was working fine.

So he disconnected his phone and I connected mine.

And what? Yes - now my phone plays mp3 over bluetooth, while connected to bluetooth midi for remote app and now it is working FINE.

I will check it tomorrow morning. If it still works, it stays with me.

I have no idea what happened, but it works. Looks like laptop's bluetooth unblocked Yamaha's bluetooth pipe or what...

@ejohnson76
@Jon Hew
@jdag
Odd...but here‘s hoping it continues to work properly.

Trending Topics