• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Yamaha THR10 amps (your thoughts)

Gretsch47

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking hard at the THR10-C or THR10 (beige) amp for my home (condo) use. I have (3) other tube amps for use in my rehearsal space (33w, 22w and 10w), the smallest being my Allen Chihuahua (10watts) which turned way down is still much too loud for neighbors etc. here.

I like the feature set of the THR10 over the THR5 as the smaller one doesn't have the separate vol. control for the aux input nor the presets, etc.

I already have a Roland AC-90 Acoustic Chorus amp for my acoustics. but the added acoustic setting would be nice for travel.

I play alt. country, classic rock and surf mostly
*As fun as it would be, I probably don't need / want the THR10-X for my typical style of music.

My questions are the following:
1. Does the amp sound good even at lower levels, where my neighbors won't notice too much?
2. Do you prefer the THR10 or the THR-10C, /why
3. Are the Bass, Acoustic settings the same on both of these amps? I have a Bass VI (E tuning) I might want to use with this.
4. Do you use many of the models or just one or two? Do you use the Editor?

Any other info is appreciated.

Muchas Gracias Amigos.

Last edited:

Sean

Silver Supporting Member
I have the beige one. It is a great low volume practice amp that sounds good.
Not sure which model the C is, but I played all of them and went with the beige one. It worked best of me (as well as sounded the best imo).

I think it'd be fine in a condo. It doesn't depend on volume to sound good.

Gretsch47

Gold Supporting Member
THR10-C is supposedly boutique, blues and vintage amp models, the beige THR10 is more of a wide variety of models, the THR10-X is metal and high gain.

big jilm

I don't know anything about the other models, as I have the regular THR10 (beige). Simply put, it is the absolute best low volume practice amp I have ever heard or used. From whisper to TV volume, it sounds amazing with great hall reverb. Best guitar related purchase I have ever made. I live in a high-rise, so I can't crank my 30 watt Suhr Badger amp at home at all - with the THR10, I am covered. I practice a LOT more since I got mine.

Sean

Silver Supporting Member
The editor is easy to use and gives you a couple of parameters to adjust that you can't access from the front. Like compression. And you can dial exact tempos for delays. You have some choices for reverb, too. I plugged it in once, messed with it and haven't since.

The effects are all pretty good, but control is minimal on the front (especially for delay). I'm not a guy that needs a million sounds and that isn't what this amp was designed for. I made a few presets and that was fine for me.
For the money, you can't really go wrong. It is a well designed product.

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
I have the high gain one.. sounds great, lots of fun and versatile, done some PC recording with it, use it as playback speakers for my PC sometimes..
I run it at like early VH gain levels and plexi clean, sounds great

Godspeed64

The Bright channel on the C is the best sound I've heard in the Yamaha range. That said I went with a Blackstar ID:Core BEAM as it's a jack of all trades and has better effects and unbelievable stereo.

If you could, audition them at least!

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
I have a THR10C. I find it good for very low volume use. I like the THR10C as a portable, battery-powered amp where I want decent tone and good-enough effects from several different amp models.

That said, low wattage amps are my sweet spot and I'm fortunate to own several 1w tube amps (Blackstar HT1R; Marshall JTM1c and JMP1h; a Frenzel FM-DP1 Pro I built out as a combo; and a few others). In most situations I prefer those other amps to the Yamaha.

Axisman5150

To answer Questions:
1. It was designed particularly for low volume playing. Nice, lush stereo tone like a BOSE radio for guitar. Your neighbors won't know you play guitar with this.
2. I've played the THR10 and liked it very much, but bought the "X" version because I preferred the Brown1&2 models for Marshall type tones over the Brit model in the Beige one. The 10X has the same Fender Deluxe model for cleans and the Brown1 model cleans up nice too.
3. Bass model is the same on all the models but I'm not sure about the acoustic model. Even though the 10X model doesn't have an "Acoustic" model, my acoustic guitar sounds great through the "Flat" setting with a nice chorus/reverb and added compression using the editor.
4. Yes, depending on the guitar or mood I'm in. The editor is easy to use and so is recording direct with the USB cable.

For the style you play, the THR10 would do. But so will the "c" or the "x". LOL!

mbetter

I also got the 10X because the Brown1 and Brown2 models just flat out rip. Clean to scream and every Marshall sound in between the two.

macuaig

I'm new to guitar, but I have the THR10C. It's completely fantastic for me in several ways, including as an iPhone/iPad bedside amp. And yeah, as I understand it the main point of the device is to give you all the big amp sound at any volume, including through earphones.

But I'm replying to make sure you know about a major limitation to the THR5, which is that you cannot download custom settings from the Editor app. You can for any of the 10 models, but for any customizing the 5 must remain hooked up to your computer. Not good for portability.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom