Yamaha THR10 - Getting Sounds

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Bravin Neff, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Member

I'm enjoying this thing and think the feel is good.

However, does anybody else find it tough dialing it in? I receivd mine a couple days ago, and have dug in deep yet I'm struggling. Mostly I am surprised how inconsistent - perhaps "unintuitive" is better - the EQ knobs can be.

It seems the cabinet sim has a far bigger impact on overall tonality - which is a wonder, seeing as you can't even access the speaker cabs without the computer. In some cases - for example, the JCM800 ("Brit Hi" amp) - is so bright with my strat's bridge pickup I'm finding I have turned down BOTH the middle and treble to almost zero.

Then in the Plexi setting ("Lead" amp), its so dull I I'm turning up both middle and treble until they're almost maxed out.

Caveat: I am prone to ear fatigue, and after some time has passed my judgment becomes unreliable, so I often find myself re doing the same tweaks over and over.

Regards,
    Bravin Neff

2. TNO

TNO Member

Using the editor helps to get to know it. Definitely could use a few more cab sims and amp models. I've ended up setting mine up for a nice, warm tweedish clean tone that breaks up just a little when you hit it hard. Tweaked the effects via editor, add a little rack compression and I'm there- with a good analog pedal for drive. I don't want or need a Swiss Army amp but the ability to flick a switch and have that tweaked clean tone available is nice.

3. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

4. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Member

Great video and performance, and I definitely love his sound. I wonder if I should have gotten the THR10C?

5. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

Jon was using the Yamaha software to audition the sounds and tweaking (using compression) to get what he wanted. You have to experiment a little bit with the 10.
    More but different...