Yamaha THR10: Great for home practicing!!!

Dr. Lo

So far, it's great! Connect my computer or iPhone to it and jam along to songs in my music folder/playlists. The quality of the sound when listening to music through the amp is good! The amp sims are nice, as are the effects. My favorite cleans involve selecting the British 2x12 cabinet (using the editor), which adds more body to the sound. I'm not into modern high gain amps because I find them too scooped sounding. I prefer hitting a plexi or JTM45 type amp with a boost, so I put my Soul Food in front of the Plexi sim and it sounds good!

The editor is easy to use, and Cubase comes free, although I have no plans to record. The app for learning songs seems good for isolating specific parts of songs and playing them in a loop. However, the feature that is supposed to remove or lower the guitar from a song is rather laughable.

Overall, given the struggles I've had with my tube amps in getting good clean and dirty sounds at VERY low volume for home practicing, this little piece of gear is wonderful.

Roccorobb

Congrats. Fun little amp. I just sold my thr10c because of a smoking deal on an ac30 (almost an even swap!) But i may get one again some day. They are also great for playing along with your phone

Dr. Lo

Congrats. Fun little amp. I just sold my thr10c because of a smoking deal on an ac30 (almost an even swap!) But i may get one again some day. They are also great for playing along with your phone
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do, either my phone or my computer.

NorCal_Val

Silver Supporting Member
Ever since I saw this vid, I've been interested in one;

Oh, and this one's not too bad either;

Last edited:

Gnarlly

Great amp for home use. I have a bunch of tube amps and the THR10 still gets 95% of my home playing.

+1 My THR5 gets 90+% of my home playing use these days. With batteries, I just bring it to whichever room, sit it on a table or desk, and start playing. Ultra convenient, and it sounds fantastic for such a small amp. I prefer the THR5's single tone control and smaller form factor, and don't really miss the preset buttons (the amp models all sound great with tone at noon from my experience).

Dr. Lo

+1 My THR5 gets 90+% of my home playing use these days. With batteries, I just bring it to whichever room, sit it on a table or desk, and start playing. Ultra convenient, and it sounds fantastic for such a small amp. I prefer the THR5's single tone control and smaller form factor, and don't really miss the preset buttons (the amp models all sound great with tone at noon from my experience).
I chose the THR10 because of the preset buttons actually. I use very different sounds and didn't want to have to twiddle like crazy when going from one song to another. Also, some of my presets involve deep editing (using the editor), so having those accessible at the touch of a button is great.

honeyiscool

I use the THR10 a lot. I use it to make demo tracks and I also play bass through it quite often. Since real amps don't actually sound good at whisper volumes, 90% of the time when I'm playing at home, the THR10 sounds better than my real amps anyway.

guitarman3001

I use the THR10 a lot. I use it to make demo tracks and I also play bass through it quite often. Since real amps don't actually sound good at whisper volumes, 90% of the time when I'm playing at home, the THR10 sounds better than my real amps anyway.

I've found that the THR10 records very well into Audacity running it into my PC with a USB cable. I've had a lot of fun recording to backing tracks.

big jilm

Silver Supporting Member
Possibly my favorite guitar related purchase ever. I never break out my tube amp at home anymore - it sits packed up to load into the car for practices and gigs. I use mine to record guitar and bass directly into Garage Band as well - makes for a great little interface for songwriting.
If mine broke down I would buy another the same day. Invaluable piece of gear!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom