• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Yamaha THR10 USB recording volume

aussiejoe

Just got a THR10X all set up and sounding good
However, I find the recorded volume in Reaper very low when using the USB from the amp. I know the USB/AUX volume has to be dimed but it still records at a very low volume.

anyone else with this issue/suggested fix
cheers

SatelliteNine

Use a gain plugin? The thr series puts out pretty close to nominal level, ie, what and amp (or amp sim) in this case would actually see in the real world. Been a while since I've used reaper, but I believe there's a simple gain plugin that can help you juice the amp. If using amplitube, just turn up the little input knob.

If you're recording the emulated sound, then simply turn it up, you're many decibels above the noise floor when working at 24 bit, so this shouldn't be a problem. The usb aux knob doesn't affect the recorded signal, this is a blend control from the computer output bus.

Hope this helps, if you provide more detail about what you're trying, maybe we can sort out how it should work for you.

SatelliteNine

I should add - it's a common mistake when tracking digitally to try get levels near the top of the meters. What happens during mix down is that faders typically have to be fairly low, limiting their useful range, and throwing away some of the captured dynamic range, so as not to overload the output buss. Ie - if there's a whole bunch of tracks sitting around -4db, then with faders at unity, the output bus will be swamped. In reaper, you can see peak and average. A suitable average level can be around -18 or -20 db, and still sit nicely in a mix. Note that this corresponds closely to a nominal line level signal.

thejamesmayer

I use my THR5 for, among other things, playing into software that uses pitch detection for quizzing me on sight reading and other educational games. The USB volume is often too low to have the note detected. I've maxed every setting I can find in the laptop OS and I still have to push the THR to distortion to even have it register a note in the various apps. Unplugging the THR and just using the laptop's microphone produces much higher levels but more noise, obviously.

I would really like to find a solution to this issue.

aussiejoe

Thanks for the responses
Worked out that in Reaper I should have been using "normalise" before rendering the files. Much louder now
cheers

Trending Topics

Top Bottom