Yamaha THR100 owners.

Barquentine

Hi everyone, I'm starting this thread for those of us that own this amp to share experiences of playing, gigging, recording etc and to tell us what your favourite settings are, any tips you have for best results.....

I have the Dual head and the 2 x 12 cab. I've had it for a month or so and have played it mainly at home although I've done one rehearsal and one gig with it. I'm using it as a channel switcher and have not spent much time using the two amps at once function. My amp for the past 7 years has been a Cornford Roadhouse 1 x 12 open backed combo. I play mainly 60's and 70's rock in a band consisting of vocals, bass drums and me as the only guitarist. I aim for a Marshall/Hiwatt type sound - that cranked, output stage overdrive that's crisp and punchy without too much saturation. Think Alvin Lee I'm Going Home at Woodstock. Or Angus Young. I have both channels set more or less the same but with a little more boost and volume on amp 2 for solos. I'm using the White boost as it has more than enough gain for my needs. I haven't tried the other boosts yet.

The amp sounds great at home volumes but much better when it's at gigging levels. I started off by using the Lead pre-amp with the EL34 output stage class AB. I had the gain and masters maxed. I was switching between amp 1 with no boost, amp 1 with boost at around 8/9 o'clock and amp 2 with boost around 11 o'clock. All EQ set around noon and presence at about 10 o'clock. This worked great at rehearsal. The gig wasn't so great - the sound was too compressed with not enough bite.

I've been working on the sounds at home and am getting really good results by changing the output stage to 6L6, backing off the masters to around 3 o'clock and using class A. I'm finding that I'm getting closer to the sounds I want by working the EQ a little harder. I've still got bass at noon but have pushed both mids and treble to around 2 o'clock. Presence is around 10 o'clock.

The result is a brighter, punchier sound that hits you in the guts when it's cranked. It's a really BIG sound and I can achieve this at much lower volumes than I can with my Cornford.

That's about as far as I've got at the moment and I know that it can only get better. I think the THR has about every sound you could ever want hidden in it somewhere. A friend came round with his Tele with a bucker in the neck position. Using the Clean pre-amp we absolutely nailed some of Keef's older tones including Start Me Up and Can't you hear me Knocking.

What are your stories so far ?

Jim234

Gig experience set up. Pedal Guy, clean platform.

Being gigging with the THR100 since November. First gig experience not good. I was not cutting the mix well enough. I had all the EQ bumped slightly. Plus the pedals I was using were simply not right. Basically I was forgetting everything I knew and had this set for a bedroom and not a venue - stupid me.

I then used my head and never looked back.

Setting: Clean
Valve: EL34
Class: AB
Bass: 12 O'Clock
Mid: 1 O'Clock
Treb: 12 O'Clock
Pres: 1 O'Clock
Master: 3 O'Clock
Gain: 1:30 O'Clock

OK lets look at the reasoning:-

First of all this sounds terrible at bedroom volumes. There simply is no bass here, too much mids and pres ugh! However, in a venue at gig volumes the cab and room generate all the bass that's required while not walking all over the frequencies filled by bass guitar. With the mids bumped I am residing in my frequency area letting the guitar sing through, while adding the presences adds a little top end sparkle. OK if I was a Clean guy all night then this would not be it, for one I would be using 6L6's, but I am using this with other pedals so there is some compromise. I like the EL34s with my pedals, its natural mid leaning helps push through the mix.

I found pushing the master more would start to add mud. With the gain I want edge of break up and not break-up.

My pedals: Blackstar LT Drive, Xotic SL Drive, Tube Screamer, Wampler Eurphoria. None have too much gain here. SL Drive has it's drive set at 9 O'Clock, while the Eurphoria is set to smooth again with the drive at 9 O'Clock. Too much gain = mud live IMHO.

Finally guitar. For ever I have been using a 81 Les Paul Standard for gigging, however I picked up a 2014 Studio with the standard 490R/ 498T pups. This definitely suits my current set up more (and my back!). The pups are articulate and push everything nicely when you dig in.

OK that's it - for what its worth - everyone is different - different gear - different music etc etc.. what works for one is not going to work for some one else.

Barquentine

I was doing a little more experimenting this afternoon. I've had amps with all the power stages apart from KT88s. I love this setting. Still using the same pre-amp and EQ settings but I'm getting a bigger, more muscular tone. Can't wait to try this at a gig.

LMychajluk

Tip / PSA: If you're having trouble turning the Gain Knob in the THR Edit app, load a different speaker sim, then re-load your original selection, then you should be able to turn the knob. You have to load a different sim, though - you can't just reload the same one.

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
I just could not fly, lug around or shlep a MKV combo to every situation, hence the THR100HD.

Using 3 different cabs: Bogner Cube w/ Celestion Classic, Mesa Thiele w/ EV SRO, and a Bob Burt V-212 w/ Celestion Classic Lead 80's. Putting some dB's and power opens this amp up and releases more bass freq's IMHO, especially in live settings. Motto: you have to "push some air" to get a fuller sound.

Pedal board: EHX Pitchfork > Neo Mini Vent > TCNova Delay via the FX loop (my "notorious" sleuthing on using ONE FX chain for both channels is part of the main THR100 thread). Utilizing 2 TRS to mono 1/4" cables from Best-Tronics did the job & putting EHX B9 and 535Q wah B-4 the front end. If anybody needs support just send me a PM.

Guitars: Zion Fifty (Tele) w/ 3 DiMarzio Virtual Vintage, PRS 24 & other items.

I have used the head for direct recording: it seemed brighter than using cabs. Amp I is used for cleaner tones with 6L6 setting, Amp II for nastier stuff w/ 6L6 or EL-34. Setting the internal boost on the OCD setting and controlling the front panel's boost dial really kicks it in gear.

Patience and continual refining to know how to use it in studio, rehearsal and live settings: still fun to adjust & apply things.

Last edited:

cSmart

What's a multieffect in pedalboard form people would recommend?

Is the Line 6 M13 fairly flexible/good sounding? I realize I could probably do better assembling many carefully selected boutique pedals, but I don't have the budget for that.

I'm blind, but have several blind friends who use this unit successfully - no menus, predictability etc. - many of the same reasons I love the THR100HD.

Are there any other multieffect units in the same format that are simple to run/program, like the M9/M13? No menus is a big plus.

cSmart

thinking of the THR100HD, something like the M13 for effects, and a couple 1x12" neodymium cabs, possibly the DV Mark units. I'm a small guy so don't want to lug overly bulky/heavy cabs around. One hand has my white cane in it, so I'm thinking about having as much of the rig in bags as possible. So far, we have a lightweight great-sounding amp, guitar in a gig bag, some sort of multieffect in a bag ... maybe one lightweight cab. A second cab for when I have help transporting gear and/or want to go stereo.

All recommendations welcome.

jbp

Silver Supporting Member
thinking of the THR100HD, something like the M13 for effects, and a couple 1x12" neodymium cabs, possibly the DV Mark units. I'm a small guy so don't want to lug overly bulky/heavy cabs around. One hand has my white cane in it, so I'm thinking about having as much of the rig in bags as possible. So far, we have a lightweight great-sounding amp, guitar in a gig bag, some sort of multieffect in a bag ... maybe one lightweight cab. A second cab for when I have help transporting gear and/or want to go stereo.

All recommendations welcome.
I have a Matrix Neolight NL212 cab. 2-12 ported cab, Wired for mono or stereo. Neo speakers. Sounds massive. PERFECT for the THR head. It sounds bigger than the matching Yamaha cab and...it's well under 30 lbs. :)

PM me if you're interested - I'm selling mine but haven't listed it yet.

Last edited:

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
What's a multieffect in pedalboard form people would recommend?

Is the Line 6 M13 fairly flexible/good sounding? I realize I could probably do better assembling many carefully selected boutique pedals, but I don't have the budget for that.

I'm blind, but have several blind friends who use this unit successfully - no menus, predictability etc. - many of the same reasons I love the THR100HD.

Are there any other multieffect units in the same format that are simple to run/program, like the M9/M13? No menus is a big plus.
Some nice multi's are...
  • Any of the Axe-FX units, especially the newer FX8 (not cheap).
  • Truetone H20 (chorus & delay)
  • Eventide H9 series
  • Tech 21 Fly Rig 5
  • TC Nova System
  • Line 6 Firehawk
  • Boss ME-25
  • Digitech RP-360
  • Keeley Workstations (new series)
  • T-Rex Soulmate
  • ISP Technologies Epitome
  • Carl Martin Quattro
Prices vary, some can be found on eBay (be careful) or on TGP's For Sale forums too.
Hard to suggest because of what an individual hears is so subjective...hope this helps as far as ideas.

Last edited:

crispsandwich

Not much to add to the thread, but to say that I still love my THR100HD. It's the best amp I've ever played through, period. I sold my Axe FX II (with Quantum 1.0) after a month with the THR. I've got a Kemper, but the Yamaha still sounds and feels slightly better to me. Yamaha have moved digital amp modelling on slightly with this amp, IMO, although at this point I feel that there is very little ground left to cover - digital pretty much caught up with valves with the Axe II and KPA (IMO). I use a Boss GT100 with my THR in 4CM and couldn't be happier.

cSmart

I have a Matrix Neolight NL212 cab. 2-12 ported cab, Wired for mono or stereo. Neo speakers. Sounds massive. PERFECT for the THR head. It sounds bigger than the matching Yamaha cab and...it's well under 30 lbs. :)

PM me if you're interested - I'm selling mine but haven't listed it yet.
Very interested! Thanks for the PM - I replied.

Question: the Matrix site shows the power handling as 60 watts x 2. The Yamaha is going to give it 100 a side if cranked. Should I be worried about that?

I also see the Matrix NL12 paired with their VB800 head, which apparently can push 400+ watts. Again, wouldn't that be a problem? What am I missing looking at the specs? Are the cabs just rated very conservatively?
Thanks for any clarification folks.

Brackethead

Has anyone reverse engineered the footswitch yet? I'd like to control the THR100HD with my Boss ES-8 -- to switch channels and turn on boost.

I bought a THR100HD yesterday, used, no footswitch. I called Yamaha customer support and they said they can't sell the footswitch by itself yet, and don't know when they will.

Then I finished reading that massive 100 page TGP thread, and learned that you can't turn on the fx loop without the footswitch. Is this still true? Any workarounds?

Last edited:

spiral

Has anyone reverse engineered the footswitch yet? I'd like to control the THD100HD with my Boss ES-8 -- to switch channels and turn on boost.
I'm going to guess it won't be possible. At the very least it needs power over MIDI. I plugged it into my USB MIDI interface and got nothing (because no power over MIDI). I also looked inside and there is an MCU which could communicate with the THR100, or just control the commands inside the pedal—either way, something that you likely need for it to work. I was hoping maybe it was just a series of resistors and switches inside but it's using some kind of logic and needs power over MIDI.

barzi2001

Hello guys,

I have already posted this question to the other THR100 thread, but someone suggested that this thread may be more appropriate. I apologize for the cross-posting. If cross-posting is not allowed, please let me know and I will cancel one of the two :)

I am a happy owner of a yamaha THR10 and I am evaluating the purchasing of a THR100H or HD for gigging.
My aim is to find a minimum setup that allows me to go gigging just with a guitar and a backpack with a modeler and 2-3 stomp boxes in it. Nothing more than that. At most I may carry a 1x12 speaker that I can use as personal monitor, to don't bother too much the other people in the other monitors.
For instance, the setup I have in mind should allow me to go by public transportation (e.g. bus or tram) :D

The point: I am interested in knowing how THR100 cuts through the band mix either when it is used straight to the PA and with a 1x12 speaker.
I have heard a demo live from Soren Andersen but he was just using some backing tracks and it sounded great. But I am interested how the modeler performs with a real band.

spiral

The point: I am interested in knowing how THR100 cuts through the band mix either when it is used straight to the PA and with a 1x12 speaker.
It would work, but it's likely overkill for your purposes. Also it's not small by any means, especially if you are carrying a 1x12 as well. Check out the Quilter Pro Block (200w small head w/ reverb), Quilter Aviator (various formats including combos), or Fender Mustang III (100w SS modeller).

Brackethead

I'm going to guess it won't be possible. At the very least it needs power over MIDI. I plugged it into my USB MIDI interface and got nothing (because no power over MIDI). I also looked inside and there is an MCU which could communicate with the THR100, or just control the commands inside the pedal—either way, something that you likely need for it to work. I was hoping maybe it was just a series of resistors and switches inside but it's using some kind of logic and needs power over MIDI.
@spiral - thanks for popping it open to check. Has anyone else had any luck controlling a THR100 with any kind of external device besides the Yamaha footswitch?

And am I correct, you can't turn on the fx loop without the footswitch? If this is true, I find it very disappointing. The idea of an amp footswitch is to remotely control things that you can otherwise do with controls on the amp; it's secondary, NOT primary. You can't even turn the loop on with your computer in the THRHD_H utility? It looks like I just bought a piece of gear that is, I won't say useless, but very hamstrung by the fact that I don't have the footswitch. My bad, I should have done a little more research before buying this one used, knowing it didn't have the fs. I mean, what if you're loading into a gig and you drop your footswitch and it breaks? Can't use the fx loop that night? That's crazy. Any Yamaha reps monitoring this thread? @stompboy you out there?

barzi2001

Thanks for the input folks! I didn't even know about other solutions like the Amplifire and the Quilter!
They both look great actually but perhaps I should give more requirements for my particular case so you can better suggest me.

I have been playing with a 12--14 people band for 4 years and until 8 years ago, before moving abroad.
The band was a kind of folk band and it mainly required clean sounds.
Throughout the years I brought a bit of everything on the stage, from combos, to rack systems to modelers.
The best solution for the other musicians, audio engineers and myself, was in a POD XT Live connected straight away to the PA.

So far, so good. Quick sound checks, no problems in different venues, the audio engineer can perfectly control all the mix, and the overall guitar sound was not completely bad - not super-beautiful but well functional within the band mix.
That was a good setup as long as what came out from the on-stage monitors did not change during the show - that may happen..

To overcome this potential threat, my solution was to keep the XT Live as it was straight in the PA while using its "aux output" (I don't remember if that was the headphones out) from the XT Live in the FX Return of an old Marshall Valvestate 65.
In this way, I would not touch at all the audio level from the XT Live to the PA - thus making the guys at the console happy - and if something suddenly changed on the on-stage monitors I could always crank up the FX Level knob on the Valvestate to don't disappear while not bothering the general mix.

After a stop of several years, I am planning to join some band here, but other than my THR10 I have no amps. And I don't have my old gear any longer. I just have left a modded TS-9, a CS-2 and a Morley Wah.
As done before, I would like to have the chance of securing both a good mix and to properly hear myself all the time in a new hypothetical band.
That is why I was thinking a solution "Direct out to PA + external 1x12" with some degree of flexibility.When gigging here you may end up in clubs which may have some passive speaker for guitar power-amps ready to use, or you may end up in places that have enough monitors. In both cases I would not need to bring any speaker from home.
In all the other cases it would be safer to have a 1x12 for me ;)

Now back to the suggestions: the Amplifire looks great! It would definitely meet all my portability requirement! But the "aux" out requires an external power-amp. That means that I can only rely on the on-stage monitors. Otherwise I would have considered given that it also has a pedal switch and it surely has a tuner! :(
The Quilter seems to be closer to my needs as it would work with passive speakers but it seems hard to find it in shops in EU. Also, it only has one channel - not problem since I can always buy an additional pedal if I need lead sounds, and it does not have a tuner.
I may be wrong, but the THR100H still seems to be the more complete solution for my purpose and it also provide outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohms and I have the feeling that among the two is the more flexible, but it lacks a tuner.
All have pros and cons. Hard choice. And other suggestions are welcomed!

However, regardless of Amplifire, Quilter or THR100 (or others if you have other suggestions), how would they cut in the mix of the band? :)

Another - may stupid - question . By cranking up the volume knob for all the mentioned amps will it change both the "Direct Out" and the "Speakers Out" levels at the same time or it just changes the Speaker out (i.e. the Direct Out would be "locked" to a certain level and it may be changed only from the PA)?

I hope that this post provides a bit more requirements for my own case :)

Any experience and/or suggestion is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

spiral

Has anyone else had any luck controlling a THR100 with any kind of external device besides the Yamaha footswitch?
the THR10 responds to MIDI—someone built an editor on Android. You would need to know (or guess) the MIDI commands if the THR100 also responds to MIDI. Hopefully @stompboy can comment.

The effects loop is off by default? ... meaning: you've tried it and get no sound?

[edit] Did a quick test: powered the footswitch with 5v and connected a MIDI cable. It "booted" but then didn't send any info. I think it needs to "see" the THR100 to work so I couldn't listen to what (if any) MIDI it was sending. Also: If you switch the effects loop on, it stays on, even after you unplug the pedal. FWIW. Maybe someone with a MIDI splitter can monitor the pedal while it's plugged into the amp to see what message it sends when the FX loop is switched.

Last edited:

Trending Topics