• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Yamaha THR100 owners.

Jim234

I phoned the two major UK online dealers about the gig bag for this amp. Here's what GAK said - 'We don't have them. No idea if or when we will. You'll have to keep checking the site.' Here's what Eoghan at Anderton's did - he didn't know about them but said he would contact Yamaha for me. Within a few hours he had them listed on their site and sent me an e-mail with a link. Good man !!
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GTHRHBG1/amp-covers/yamaha-carry-bag-for-thr100
@Barquentine you are brilliant - going to get one ordere

Er.. maybe not a bit on the expensive side. Currently use one of Gator's offerings which does not provide a snug fit but provides enough protection.

Last edited:

markus506

@Barquentine you are brilliant - going to get one ordere

Er.. maybe not a bit on the expensive side. Currently use one of Gator's offerings which does not provide a snug fit but provides enough protection.
I found it listed on the uk yamaha site, but I don't see it for NA yet. Hopefully soon....

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Just checked out videos and researched Boss' Katana line: have any of you THR100 owners been able to check out this Katana stuff and made an informed comparison? It's getting out of control...LOL. :hide

jageya

out of control how?......We should all be wondering what may be shown at namm.....i am hoping yamaha releases a thr30/60/100 stereo combo

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
out of control how?......We should all be wondering what may be shown at namm.....i am hoping Yamaha releases a thr30/60/100 stereo combo
Out of control: features, flexibility, versions, price points, et al. The new GP gives stellar reviews to the Katana series. Yamaha has been rather slow with updates, combo versions, etc. I'll wait for Winter NAMM to see what is offered...not griping about the Yamaha build quality though I think a combo (stereo or otherwise) is not in the cards.

jageya

Got it....Katana has been blowing up everywhere. I think yamaha dropped the ball long ago with modeling so i can see why they acquired line 6. Releasing the thr100hd before a combo type was a mistake in my eyes but they can still recover in 2017.

Paul Conway

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_m...iilmo0mYWeUc6Tx3nlgVOI9lRBlaPHz9mWRoCGI_w_wcB
Thanks for the input folks! I didn't even know about other solutions like the Amplifire and the Quilter!
They both look great actually but perhaps I should give more requirements for my particular case so you can better suggest me.

I have been playing with a 12--14 people band for 4 years and until 8 years ago, before moving abroad.
The band was a kind of folk band and it mainly required clean sounds.
Throughout the years I brought a bit of everything on the stage, from combos, to rack systems to modelers.
The best solution for the other musicians, audio engineers and myself, was in a POD XT Live connected straight away to the PA.

So far, so good. Quick sound checks, no problems in different venues, the audio engineer can perfectly control all the mix, and the overall guitar sound was not completely bad - not super-beautiful but well functional within the band mix.
That was a good setup as long as what came out from the on-stage monitors did not change during the show - that may happen..

To overcome this potential threat, my solution was to keep the XT Live as it was straight in the PA while using its "aux output" (I don't remember if that was the headphones out) from the XT Live in the FX Return of an old Marshall Valvestate 65.
In this way, I would not touch at all the audio level from the XT Live to the PA - thus making the guys at the console happy - and if something suddenly changed on the on-stage monitors I could always crank up the FX Level knob on the Valvestate to don't disappear while not bothering the general mix.

After a stop of several years, I am planning to join some band here, but other than my THR10 I have no amps. And I don't have my old gear any longer. I just have left a modded TS-9, a CS-2 and a Morley Wah.
As done before, I would like to have the chance of securing both a good mix and to properly hear myself all the time in a new hypothetical band.
That is why I was thinking a solution "Direct out to PA + external 1x12" with some degree of flexibility.When gigging here you may end up in clubs which may have some passive speaker for guitar power-amps ready to use, or you may end up in places that have enough monitors. In both cases I would not need to bring any speaker from home.
In all the other cases it would be safer to have a 1x12 for me ;)

Now back to the suggestions: the Amplifire looks great! It would definitely meet all my portability requirement! But the "aux" out requires an external power-amp. That means that I can only rely on the on-stage monitors. Otherwise I would have considered given that it also has a pedal switch and it surely has a tuner! :(
The Quilter seems to be closer to my needs as it would work with passive speakers but it seems hard to find it in shops in EU. Also, it only has one channel - not problem since I can always buy an additional pedal if I need lead sounds, and it does not have a tuner.
I may be wrong, but the THR100H still seems to be the more complete solution for my purpose and it also provide outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohms and I have the feeling that among the two is the more flexible, but it lacks a tuner.
All have pros and cons. Hard choice. And other suggestions are welcomed!

However, regardless of Amplifire, Quilter or THR100 (or others if you have other suggestions), how would they cut in the mix of the band? :)

Another - may stupid - question . By cranking up the volume knob for all the mentioned amps will it change both the "Direct Out" and the "Speakers Out" levels at the same time or it just changes the Speaker out (i.e. the Direct Out would be "locked" to a certain level and it may be changed only from the PA)?

I hope that this post provides a bit more requirements for my own case :)

Any experience and/or suggestion is highly appreciated!

Paul Conway

Oh yes, although I saw a live stream of Dean Brown from Ronnie Scott's using one of these, and it sounded fine.

Jim234

Agreed @jageya a combo would have been a good starting point. However I cannot see it being a cheap. I'd be in though. Not sure I would want all the whistles and bells of the katana. I think I would want a decent cabinet as well.

Suspect it would compete more with the Blues Cube...

Jim234

Oh yes, although I saw a live stream of Dean Brown from Ronnie Scott's using one of these, and it sounded fine.
Its loud with a good clean sound. If they had put a presence and fx loop on it would have been perfect. It has a bigger brother now 250 watt. It takes pedals well but the THR does it better.

Jim234

Well just over 1 year on and I still love my THR100.

Best piece of kit I think I have ever owned for gigs. Only regret, not buying HD. Man this has some great sounds.

Barquentine

Anyone seen any mention of a Yamaha gig bag for this amp? If not, has anyone found anything that closely fits it? Using an old backpack for not, but it doesn't really provide any protection.
I received my gig bag today from Andertons. As with all Yamaha gear it's a quality piece of kit. Much happier about moving the amp around.

markus506

I received my gig bag today from Andertons. As with all Yamaha gear it's a quality piece of kit. Much happier about moving the amp around.
Nice to hear. I was in touch with Yamaha support in Canada, and the bag is not yet available in North America. He didn't know a date, but was expecting Spring at some point.

MartinC

Just checked out videos and researched Boss' Katana line: have any of you THR100 owners been able to check out this Katana stuff and made an informed comparison? It's getting out of control...LOL. :hide
Sold my thr100 when I got my katana 50. No regrets. Feels like I've advanced 200 years in time with presets and tweakable effects.
I've tried both the THR100HD and Katana 50 ... both for a good half hour … I think the THR100HD would have been for more like an hour.

I was very impressed by both. I like feel and dynamics in an amp as well as great tone. Both amps give you all of that. Since I didn’t play both amps side by side, I couldn’t say whether the Katana was better, but, just going off memory, I felt that the Katana was the equal of the THR100 for tone and feel.

I’m keen to see what the next generation of THR is all about. I’ve been a happy THR10C owner for a couple of years … it covers the low volume home/desktop practice/noodling zone brilliantly, but doesn’t come up well when playing with others (unless they have the same thing).

The THR100HD is impressive for higher volumes (and still does low volume extremely well) but lacks some features that I would like (presets and music playback … I could live without the full complement of effects given that it does cover tone shaping basics really well with its “tube” selection, drive “pedals” x3 and reverb PLUS the two amp option in stereo on the HD with 2x12 … sounds brilliant!).

The Katana 100 1x12 has those missing features, and is about half the price of a THR100 + cab.

Come on Yamaha!

Wirezz

I've tried both the THR100HD and Katana 50 ... both for a good half hour … I think the THR100HD would have been for more like an hour.

I was very impressed by both. I like feel and dynamics in an amp as well as great tone. Both amps give you all of that. Since I didn’t play both amps side by side, I couldn’t say whether the Katana was better, but, just going off memory, I felt that the Katana was the equal of the THR100 for tone and feel.

I’m keen to see what the next generation of THR is all about. I’ve been a happy THR10C owner for a couple of years … it covers the low volume home/desktop practice/noodling zone brilliantly, but doesn’t come up well when playing with others (unless they have the same thing).

The THR100HD is impressive for higher volumes (and still does low volume extremely well) but lacks some features that I would like (presets and music playback … I could live without the full complement of effects given that it does cover tone shaping basics really well with its “tube” selection, drive “pedals” x3 and reverb PLUS the two amp option in stereo on the HD with 2x12 … sounds brilliant!).

The Katana 100 1x12 has those missing features, and is about half the price of a THR100 + cab.

Come on Yamaha!
To be fair the yamaha sounds a bit better. But having to tweak all the knobs on the front and back of the amp to go from fender clean to Marshall crunch gets pretty old quickly.

MartinC

To be fair the yamaha sounds a bit better. But having to tweak all the knobs on the front and back of the amp to go from fender clean to Marshall crunch gets pretty old quickly.
Yeah, THR modelling is a few years old now, but still hits the mark ... hence my keenness to see what the next generation brings, compared to Katana

Trending Topics