Yamaha THR100 owners.

jageya

Agree the katana is fun to play...BUT i would venture to say the id260tvp is WAY diff then the tvp15 amp. They are completely diff sound wise to me. I have tried the mono tvp amps and the id260 really is much better sounding then the tvp15.Thats just my take on it. I wonder if the katana 2-12 would sound better then the 1-12? I have the katana 100 1-12 and i so like the ease of use and simpleness of it.

COYS

Played the smaller version of the Katana the other weekend, it's pretty fun to play around with for higher gain stuff. I agree with others that it's a clear second to the THR100, but for the price I think it's very nice.

mgomes

Hi, Yamaha fan here and THR5 owner. One quick question, this seems to have the same (for me) "problem" as the THR5, meaning you don't have a way to to the most basic switch from a clean sound to an overdriven one for example?

The supplied pedal seems to be to control changing between 1 or 2 amps, boost on or off but not changing to one of the 5 clean or dirty sounds?

I love the THR5 but even when playing at home, most of the tracks there is a need to change from cleaner to dirtier sounds, and I have to stop playing or using the same tone for the duration of the song!

Barquentine

Hi, Yamaha fan here and THR5 owner. One quick question, this seems to have the same (for me) "problem" as the THR5, meaning you don't have a way to to the most basic switch from a clean sound to an overdriven one for example?

The supplied pedal seems to be to control changing between 1 or 2 amps, boost on or off but not changing to one of the 5 clean or dirty sounds?

I love the THR5 but even when playing at home, most of the tracks there is a need to change from cleaner to dirtier sounds, and I have to stop playing or using the same tone for the duration of the song!
Each of the two amps can be set as clean or as dirty as you want. They both have the option of five different sounds ranging from super clean to high gain . Then you switch between them using the footswitch.

mgomes

I see, but if I want to run both amps in stereo clean, and then change to again both amps but overdriven, can indo that?

jageya

I just wish the thr100hd was closer to 400.00 i would buy one then as i have a stereo cab waiting for an amp..:(

randombastage

I just wish the thr100hd was closer to 400.00 i would buy one then as i have a stereo cab waiting for an amp..:(
How much money will you spend trying other options in the meantime? The difference between the $400 and the $625 a B stock THR100HD costs right now?

MartinC

Have a look at the Katana footswitch:

Pick any of 4 presets (5 if you include the Manual selection, which reverts to the current settings for each of the knobs on the amp) ... OR, hit the Function button and the SAME FOOTSWITCH can now be used to switch on/off the Boost, Mid Boost, FX Loop and Reverb. AAAAAAND ... it's functionality is extendable with the addition of expression pedals.

This is what the THR100 needs.

Nice to have would be if the same footswitch could be used with THR5/10 ... though only the presets would make sense in that context.

From a happy THR10C owner, who has tried and really liked the tone and tone sculpting flexibility of the THR100HD ... but balked at the price, and would really like presets with footswitch capability on an amp of this format, plus an AUX in for music playback.

Katana looks and sounds almost too good to be true ... go to the 5:00 minute mark:

(upon previewing, this came across a bit rant-like ... not my intention ... think Yamaha did a remarkable job with THR ... just hoping next gen THR includes the features needed to compete)

mgomes

Yes Martin, that would be the thing! Also miss an aux input so that I can play along with some tracks. Guess you can put a effects pedal or processor to solve that problem?

But I've been watching a lot of demo videos and I'm smitten. I guess this isn't the place to be saved from GAS though...

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone been able to find the THR100 head bag in the US yet? I know that they've been flying off the shelves in Europe but I need to find one I can get without paying a ton in shipping!
The biggest retailer for the THD100's in the states is Sweetwater...contact their sales department and see what's up. The bag looks pretty decent from the web site and neatly holds the foot pedal as well. Why availability in the UK is first I'll never know.

MartinC

That's just the generic Roland/Boss footswitch, works with numerous amps such as the Roland Blues Cube and some others in the Cube series I believe.
That might be true, but in the context of the Katana, I'm pretty sure it works as I described. Regardless, that's the functionality that the Yamaha could really do with.

spiral

For the XLR Line Outs, is there a way to control the speaker volume independently from the line out signal? AFAIK the Volume seems to control both, and the speakers are a little loud to get it to proper line level for recording. Any tips for turning down the speakers a bit?

randombastage

For the XLR Line Outs, is there a way to control the speaker volume independently from the line out signal? AFAIK the Volume seems to control both, and the speakers are a little loud to get it to proper line level for recording. Any tips for turning down the speakers a bit?
My first instinct is why not boost the input trim on the audio interface a bit to get the DAW levels up relative to the speaker out.

spiral

My first instinct is why not boost the input trim a bit to get the DAW levels up relative to the speaker out.
Yeah I could do that but it's better for gain-staging to get the source to line level for noise and coloration—so I was hoping there was a feature I overlooked. The amp can go louder to provide a healthy signal, it's just a little loud in the room. Considering all the other control on the amp I'm surprised they can't be controlled independently. Thanks for the reply.

I only just started using the line outs and the cabinet emulation sounds fantastic. Considering my mic investment I'm a little sad it sounds so good and is so simple.

voided3

I just picked up a THR100H head and THRC112 cabinet as I was looking to save some weight with my current gigging setup. I play in a 10-piece Motown/R&B band that does a ton of private events and had been using a Tech 21 Blonde V2 at the end of my pedalboard into a QSC KW122. It's a great setup with loads of headroom, but the powered speaker weighs almost 50 lbs. and I don't want to have to rely on an external preamp or lose the option of going direct, which is why the Yamaha appealed to me. It also allowed me to greatly downsize my pedals for further weight savings.

I've only had one gig with the setup so far, but initial impressions are good. The Clean amp sounds phenomenal and the sound guy said the DI output sounded great (I set the IR model as a British 2x12, standard 57 mic). It also has the lowest noise floor of any amp I've ever owned, and I'm obsessive with noise reduction; all of my gigging guitars have noiseless pickups/copper shielding and I use a Furman AC-215A power conditioner as well as a Radial Ice Cube ground isolation transformer on the DI to remove any possible ground loops.

I use the amp raised way up on an angled amp stand and it cuts through well (to keep the head from sliding off, I put heavy duty 3M Velcro on the amp's feet). I have a Keeley 4-knob compressor that stays on permanently and it helps tremendously with clean volume, too. That said, it isn't as loud as my previous setup (obviously, when going from 1000 watts to 100 watts) so when things get overly rowdy, it can get a slightly buried, but perhaps this will be better in the long run for my hearing! To slightly counteract this without resorting to a larger cabinet, I decided to swap in an Eminence Swamp Thang as it is extremely efficient (102db vs. the Legend 1218's 98.7db) and has an extended low frequency response to help beef up the small 1x12" cab (not that the Legend sounded weak, but the Swamp Thang makes it sound weak in comparison!). The only drawback is the cabinet gained 2.7 lbs. over the stock Legend on account of the giant magnet, but it's still only 31.3 lbs. total and still weighs less than any other amp I've ever gigged with. I have a gig this weekend and can report back if anyone is interested, but I can already tell it will have some extra "oomf" when push comes to shove.

For those who are interested, here are a few photos of the inside of the THRC112 when I was doing the speaker swap. It has 18 gauge wire from the jack and the logo mounting method looks like it would be a prime spot to cut a hole for a port if anyone felt industrious. I plan on keeping the cab sealed, however.

bradinnm

I have a question for the THR100HD users out there. I have heard some mixed information about the somewhat confusing THR-HD effects loop (whether it is stereo, dual mono, mixes back to mono, etc.) If you are using both amps simultaneously into a stereo cabinet and then used a couple of insert cables (1/4" TRS Male-Dual 1/4" TS Male) out to and back from a stereo effects unit, would the true stereo effects be output from the stereo cabinet or does the amp's loop return as mono?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Trending Topics