Yanuziello electric received

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 57special, May 25, 2005.

1. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I've known JOE Yanuziello for a about 15 years... he was introduced to me as an outstanding luthier by someone who has had more than his fair share of guitars both old and new. I first became aware of his little electric guitars with their Harmony/Gretsch vibe about 10 years ago, and thought , "yeah, i could go for one of those" but didn't do anything about it till 9 months ago, when i finally placed an order with him. He warned me it would be at least 6 months (tuned out to be 8). Anyway, i've had the guitar about 2 months, so i guess you could say i'm in the "Honeymoon" phase, but i've got to say that these guitars are outstanding, and very different from anything out there on the market. If you love the sound of the old dearmond pups then you might want to give Joe a call . These are extremely light guitars, very resonant and detailed in all 3 positions, and have the sweetest sound i've ever heard for clean and low gain blues and pop. I know a lot of jazz guys buy them too, though i wouldn't call them a typical jazz type guitar. Anyway, i'm just loving this thing... it has a "mojo' or personality (tonally, that is) that is really off the beaten track.
    Oh, the workmanship, etc, is top notch, too. He made the neck to some pretty exact specifications ... cloning my 57 Special (had my digital calipers out)... but i guess i'm the type of guy who doesn't pay all that much attention to that stuff (even though i am a luthier).
    Anyway, it sounds like i'm not the only one who likes his guitars, as his waiting list keeps getting longer and his prices keep going up. I'll try to get some pics up of my guitar,but the guitar is similiar to the 2 pup model on his website , only in Cadillac Green like the mid 50's Gretsches.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

What doesn't really come out is the extraordinary level of detail in his designs.

In addition to a well-considered and distinctive overall design that tips its hat to electric guitar heritage, Joseph has designed and cast his own unique bridge (along with his pickup covers).

Hey Joe - If you haven't done it yet, patent that thing, and then put some close-up pix on your site!

I've owned two of his guitars for years, and they are wonderful instruments. He's truly an original voice in an industry dominated by unoriginal thinking.

In addition to being a true gentleman and one of the nicest guys around, he can play, too.

Hey 57special, you owe me some PIX of that thing.

- Mr. "more than his fair share of guitars both old and new"

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Look who's lurking! I thought " more than his fair share" was kinder than
    "Way too many obscuro German birthday cake guitars guy"
    or
    "Ampegs growing like mushrooms in his garage guy".
    Steve, do a search under "Ampeg", and user name "LeonC" at the same time. HAHA.
    I'll give you a call later.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Those are some seriously cool-looking guitars!

5. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Obscure? Herbert Todt is obscure. Wilhelm Monte is obscure. Wenzel Rossmeisl and Arnold Hoyer are mainstream by comparison.

As far as Ampeg goes, I'm thinking that maybe we need a bigger house. With an amp room. Heh.

6. move

move Member

pics?........

7. larrylover

larrylover Member

Good lord! I want two of his flattops -- koa and a sunburst -- and at least one electric. Beautiful guitars!