yardbirds help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Jun 27, 2006.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

anyone know which yardbirds songs are best to hear jeff beck playing the tele/mkii/ac30 set up? thanks
    alex

2. shakti

shakti Member

I am not so sure Beck ever used a Mk II with the Yardbirds?? It's definitely a Mk I on the early stuff. I even think it's a Mk I on the solo "Beck's Bolero" single, recorded in '66.

Sure wish I had a Tele nowadays that I finally have a '65 AC30, though...

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I thought Beck's Bolero was recorded late in 1968, it was after he left the Yardbirds.

4. Craise

Craise Member

5. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Member

Heart Full of Soul. Doesn't get any finer.

6. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i read in a big guitar book last night that he used a tone bender mk ii w/ an esquire/tele into the top boost of an ac30 :) it was a pretty thorough book

7. shakti

shakti Member

Heart Full of Soul was a Mk I, absolutely no doubt. You can see it in lots of photos, very recognizable due to the box shape. Besides, that was the only one available at the time. The solo on Mister You're a Better Man Than I is a great example of the Mk I sound, IMO.

Beck's Bolero was definitely recorded in '66, I forget when, but IIRC either July or December... The Mk II was introduced in '66, I *believe* sometime in mid-66. Of course, it's fully possible that Beck could have got his hands on an early prototype or whatever.

I honestly don't think most of Beck's Yardbirds fuzz sounds are much like a Mk II. It's raspier and slightly less compressed. I can agree with Beck's Bolero possibly being a Mk II, but as AbbeSauniere said, with a Les Pau rather than Esquire. In fact, I was trying to find that sound just yesterday with a Les Paul, AC30 and D*A*M custom Tonebender (Mk II / 1.5 / Italian Vox 3-in-one). My Mk II has OC81Ds, and it has *insane* gain. I have to set the attack at almost zero to get close to that sound, but it was really close.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

I can't tell you the exact dates but "Beck's Bolero" was recorded before the "Truth" sessions (it's mostly a different band) and first appeared in the UK as an extended version on the B - side (that takes me back) of "Hi Ho Silver Lining". The single version included some nice backwards guitar at the end.
    I believe that up to "Roger the Engineer" is mostly Tele-type and AC.

Best, Pete.

9. stratplayer23

stratplayer23 Member

im thinking of getting one of the D*A*M stompboxes, i dont know which to choose for early zep/yardbird tones with a strat into a fender twin. Could anyone explain the tonal differences in the vox tonebenders/sola sound tonebenders/ mkII etc for me ? im open to other clones aside from D*A*M too.

thanks guys

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I use a Lady Stardust by Phoenix Custom Electronics. It's a vox tonebender clone (allbeit with more control). The Vox tonebender was a pretty prominent pedal... The Beatles were big fans from Revolver on (I know of several instances it shows up on the white album.) Mic Ronson was a big fan of the vox tonebender. Clapton is rumored to have used one with Cream, but he's also rumored to have used the sola sound, univox, marshall and fuzz face pedals, so he's not a great example of tone.

The MKII (Sola Sound) fuzz is typically associated with Jimmy Page's fuzz tone on the first few Zepplin Albums. My experiance has been that most MKII clones tend to have less range in comparision to the Vox clones. They do one thing really well, while most Vox clones are typically designed to get into the MKII's Range and and can get the tones of your standard fuzz face clones as well. Perhaps this is due to the fuzz face's origins... (Based on the VOX?).

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Can I just add one thing from an old fart who was around at the time?

Too many people assume that guitarists then dumped what they were already using as soon as a newer version came out. It's not true - they were the same then as they are now; what works, works still.

The same with Marshalls, just because what we now know as the "Plexi" range with SS rectifiers came out doesn't mean all the JTM45s were suddenly dumped........it's true though that Marshall often updated amps to new specs when they were in for repair but that's where it gets really confusing........

Best, Pete.

12. JLee

JLee Member

Someone posted this pic on the D*A*M website. Looks like it was a Gary Hurst MKI Tonebender on Roger The Engineer. You can see the trademark gold box by the mic stand.[​IMG]

13. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

What Les Paul model is it ?

I've always wonder myself : modded pickgard for a "standart" or a Custom LP ?

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

I believe that's a "Les Paul Model" from 1960 with a black pickguard. Standard was never used on the originals - so far as I know. It looks like they are miming on that show.

Nice picture.

15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The reddish LP that Jeff used a lot, and threw a lot with the Yardbirds was actually a refinished 54 gold top with PAF's installed..that was used in Truth

16. mild

mild Member

I woulda thought of those two, the Tele would be the easy part?!? :crazy

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

You think someone really bothered doing that in the early '60's?

You could pick up NOS 1960 Les Pauls from Selmers in Charing Cross Road for a few hundred quid at the time JB started using this.

Best, Pete.

18. shakti

shakti Member

Yeah, and I actualy used to own a '52 RI! :messedup
    The one I really am in pain about though is the refinished '67 Tele which sold for less than $2k...and I walked into the store 15 mins too late...it was *perfect* - cream yellow, white faded pickguard, rosewood fretboard. :drool