• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Yaron vs DeTemple Blackguard- Thoughts?

Fingers

Appreciate the sentiment, Big Mike- currently gigging with my D'Pergo's (Sig. LTD and Bakersfield LTD) and Linhof (awesome Tele BTW) which serve me well for what I'm currently looking for, so I was leaning towards letting my DeTemple go YET, even though it's not getting play time, know I would regret it- ah well, c'est la vie- looking for those who have either Played Both DT's and Yaron's OR been able to compare 1 or the other with Whitfill's Slimline...(playability/workmanship/tonality, etc.)- always on some kind of a tone quest-
So if you mainly go for the D'Pergos, is that why you're curious about just checking out whether Yaron might be more to your liking than your DeTemple, since you're basically set no matter what?
What I'm curious about is what might you find lacking in the Bakersfield that you'd like to find in another Tele-type?
My experience with my D'Pergo is it's about as good a guitar as one could need, but I admit everything I've seen about Yaron makes his work sound really interesting...

Tehillah

So if you mainly go for the D'Pergos, is that why you're curious about just checking out whether Yaron might be more to your liking than your DeTemple, since you're basically set no matter what?
What I'm curious about is what might you find lacking in the Bakersfield that you'd like to find in another Tele-type?
My experience with my D'Pergo is it's about as good a guitar as one could need, but I admit everything I've seen about Yaron makes his work sound really interesting...

I, for what I do, simply don't believe that there is a better S-style instrument for me other than D'Pergo...as for my Bakersfield, I love what it does and dig the fact that it is chambered. Nothing lacking, once I'd dialed it in. Fantastic clarity/note to note separation, with some added punchiness, which I love. I use other Teles as well, for different applications. Did a thing over the weekend with my Linhof, for example, which is just a stellar guitar and addresses things differently than my Bakersfield, yet, live, in the middle of some very extended extemporaneous stuff, I found there were tones I was searching for that I just couldn't get with it that I get from my DP...to be fair, some of the rationale that I couldn't get closer to my DP sound was due to what I'd done to my Linhof (strings/pickup setting) to get this other sound, which is what I was initially goin' for. I know I'm anal- and I tend to try to "stretch" instruments beyond the "norm" (whatever that means)...and I know Stefan had said there are some Sig LTD Bakersfields he's recently made that are mind-blowing, BUT I simply need to, most likely, sell/trade some gear for my next guit and a preowned Yaron is more in the price range I'm looking at- I'd seen a Yaron Thinline video that piqued my interest AND heard good things about Whitfill's Slimline as well- I know we can be pretty subjective in our varying pursuit of tone, etc., etc., but the fact that I find I write much differently on different instruments, whether from the same Builder of not drives me onward as well as that tonal pursuit. I'm also aware that, at this level of instrument, personal preference plays a big part here, which is why I love to get other's perspectives on various instruments/Builders I'm interested in-

Rusty G.

I, for what I do, simply don't believe that there is a better S-style instrument for me other than D'Pergo...as for my Bakersfield, I love what it does and dig the fact that it is chambered. Nothing lacking, once I'd dialed it in. Fantastic clarity/note to note separation, with some added punchiness, which I love. I use other Teles as well, for different applications. Did a thing over the weekend with my Linhof, for example, which is just a stellar guitar and addresses things differently than my Bakersfield, yet, live, in the middle of some very extended extemporaneous stuff, I found there were tones I was searching for that I just couldn't get with it that I get from my DP...to be fair, some of the rationale that I couldn't get closer to my DP sound was due to what I'd done to my Linhof (strings/pickup setting) to get this other sound, which is what I was initially goin' for. I know I'm anal- and I tend to try to "stretch" instruments beyond the "norm" (whatever that means)...and I know Stefan had said there are some Sig LTD Bakersfields he's recently made that are mind-blowing, BUT I simply need to, most likely, sell/trade some gear for my next guit and a preowned Yaron is more in the price range I'm looking at- I'd seen a Yaron Thinline video that piqued my interest AND heard good things about Whitfill's Slimline as well- I know we can be pretty subjective in our varying pursuit of tone, etc., etc., but the fact that I find I write much differently on different instruments, whether from the same Builder of not drives me onward as well as that tonal pursuit. I'm also aware that, at this level of instrument, personal preference plays a big part here, which is why I love to get other's perspectives on various instruments/Builders I'm interested in-
I just noticed in your post above that you're talking about seeing a Yaron Thinline and had asked me about the Whitfill Slimline. Are you looking for a Tele with two humbucker pickups instead of the normal Tele bridge and neck singlecoils? What tone are you looking for? What music do you want to play with this guitar and what amps and pedals are you using? I know, this might not be necessary, but it might aid in some feedback.

Tehillah

Good question- I'm looking for inspiration, therefore I'm not tied down to a PAF or single coil sound, per se, although my initial interest was in a Slimline- heard they're pretty awesome- I know a good Blackguard can just about cover it all, yet was intrigued in the Thinline Gil had made- loving the tones- generally let the instrument play me, if that makes any sense- love thicker, expansive/expressive cleans, love a lil' percussive spank/grit, not much into twang- tend to gravitate toward BF sounds, gigging with Carr Rambler or Tone King Imperial, usually- do still have some vintage stuff too. Used to be into more pedals/synth stuff- not so much anymore. Not tryin' to be coy- if it's an incredible sound (subjective, I know) I'll work with it- what I was looking for was a comparison, by those who have owned or played (for a length of time) DT, Yaron and Whitfill- for tonality/build quality/playability. For instance, my D'Pergo is, to me, a "Strat-plus" tonality- does things nothing else (I found) even come close to doing. Seriously. I want, in a Tele, articulation, clarity, separation, thickness, percussiveness, spank, depth and cojones, when needed- you may think "Impossible- there must be trade-offs", to which I would reply- "Maybe". Sorry if this doesn't make sense to you, but, for me, it's the thrill of finding each instrument's voice along these lines (or others)...I did receive a couple of PM'd perspectives, which were helpful- I value the input greatly. Thanks for taking the time-

Last edited:

tradarama

www.PRIMEGUITARS.com
Silver Supporting Member
In my experience, having owned over 40 DeTemples, I have yet to find a maker who is able to capture the overtones that a DeTemple produces. If you like overtones then you will like a DeTemple. If you prefer just the straight note, then you will be happier with other products.

Tramp

Platinum Supporting Member
Understood that you may not want to share some of the things you've heard by PM, what's your thinking now?

Tehillah

Still open, as I know some Builder's are increasing in their refinement- bottom line remains the fact that I need to play them before a trade. Some differing experiences and viewpoints, all valid in what they like, look for and think- I find myself thinking about a Yaron Thinline, if I could find a preowned one, at this point...or trade toward a D'Pergo, perhaps...still looking for perspective of one who's played/owned all 3: DT, Yaron and Whitfill- we may all be drawn to different tones/usages-

Tehillah

There are very few Yaron thinlines out there.....good luck in your chase....
I hear 'ya- thanks! I'll be patient- I give good deals to people, and really fantastic instruments seem to find their way into my hands (for which I'm grateful)
so we'll see if one pops up down the road...but they are scarce- that's for sure-

robbinsteele

If your mind's made up,I won't give u the facts
Silver Supporting Member
there is something special(that extra 10%) with yaron pickups beyond the build and feel,that put his guitars above in my opinion..but then again,if you love your DT,will anything replace it?

Tehillah

there is something special(that extra 10%) with yaron pickups beyond the build and feel,that put his guitars above in my opinion..but then again,if you love your DT,will anything replace it?
I find myself drawn moreso to Strats, in general, although I do really dig my Linhof and D'Pergo Bakersfield, for different uses- I'm always looking for something for inspiration, so I'm open- was initially looking for a Whitfill Slimline- heard great things, then saw a Yaron Blackguard...then heard (on a few videos, somewhere) the Yaron Thinline, which really was speaking to me- never played a Yaron OR a Whitfill, at this point. I do really dig my DeTemple- it's just not getting the play time it deserves- my Linhof and DP Bakersfield are more what I'm looking for, right now. I MUST say, my DeTemple IS a fantastic blackguard representation- I bought it used and the seller (Charlie) had said it was the "best Tele he'd ever heard"- it is great, but what REALLY grabbed me was the upper register- it is unbelievable-seriously- it must be heard in person to believe- I was doing a gig and found myself staying there, just because it was so outrageous- I definitely don't want to lose it and would probably regret it, no matter what I traded it for (except another D'Pergo)...you know...GAS, GAS, GAS-

Tehillah

Wait a minute, a seller said the guitar he was selling "was the best he had ever heard"?....no way, not on TGP!
HAHAHAHA!! I hear 'ya- except, it was Charlie (Capital Guitars) who is definitely an honest guy. He'd said he'd thought about keeping this DeTemple, but, business is business (and I DON'T think he was givin' me "the business" ;))

john guay

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Yaron LP and Broadcaster but I have never played a Detemple. My take is that Yaron is more faithful replica with modern wiring, 9.5 radius and larger frets. I believe Detemple has tried to improve on the originals with titanium parts and proprietary pickups. Both builders start with great wood. My Yaron Broadcaster has reclaimed one piece ash body and reclaimed maple neck. The pickups are made with old wire and magnets. Gil winds pickups specifically for each guitar to match the sonic properties of the instrument. I would expect the Detemple to have its own sound especially with the titanium saddles. Previous posts refer to more overtones and strong response in the upper register.The Yaron sounds like a vintage Broadcaster, fat and full sounding not overly bright or trebly. I would want to have both guitars if I could afford it!

Rusty G.

I find myself drawn moreso to Strats, in general, although I do really dig my Linhof and D'Pergo Bakersfield, for different uses- I'm always looking for something for inspiration, so I'm open- was initially looking for a Whitfill Slimline- heard great things, then saw a Yaron Blackguard...then heard (on a few videos, somewhere) the Yaron Thinline, which really was speaking to me- never played a Yaron OR a Whitfill, at this point. I do really dig my DeTemple- it's just not getting the play time it deserves- my Linhof and DP Bakersfield are more what I'm looking for, right now. I MUST say, my DeTemple IS a fantastic blackguard representation- I bought it used and the seller (Charlie) had said it was the "best Tele he'd ever heard"- it is great, but what REALLY grabbed me was the upper register- it is unbelievable-seriously- it must be heard in person to believe- I was doing a gig and found myself staying there, just because it was so outrageous- I definitely don't want to lose it and would probably regret it, no matter what I traded it for (except another D'Pergo)...you know...GAS, GAS, GAS-

OK Tehillah. . .what is it about your Linhof that you like over your DeTemple? And what is different about your Linhof compared to your DP Bakersfield? Is your Linhof stock? Does your Linhof have the stock pickups? (I've got a Linhof, and it's not going anywhere. . .but with that said, I tend to favor my Whitfield over the Linhof. I'm just trying to see what you like about your Linhof as compared to the DeTemple and D'Pergo.)

Tehillah

OK Tehillah. . .what is it about your Linhof that you like over your DeTemple? And what is different about your Linhof compared to your DP Bakersfield? Is your Linhof stock? Does your Linhof have the stock pickups? (I've got a Linhof, and it's not going anywhere. . .but with that said, I tend to favor my Whitfield over the Linhof. I'm just trying to see what you like about your Linhof as compared to the DeTemple and D'Pergo.)
I think I was looking for a more non-traditional Tele sound- my DP, Linhof and DeTemple are all great instruments- I use them for different applications. For ME, regarding the Linhof, I love the neck, the vibe, the resonance, the reversed switchplate, the way Kurt designed the bridge pup angle for less spikey trebles/punchier bottom, the P-92 neck pup- it's amazingly versatile- I use it for non-Tele stuff, due to the changed pup heighth/strings I'm using. It's very musical. My DP is punchy/airy/3-Dish...has that D'Pergo tonal quality. Again, it's totally stock, but I dialed in a similar tonal area to my bass player, for example, who plays a 7 string Conklin, when we were doing a duet gig, and it was like a harp together- really awesome- I was so stoked I had to text Stefan- I think I'd probably love the Whitfill Slimline- just haven't played one yet...and please don't misunderstand me- my DeTemple is a FANTASTIC instrument- like a good vintage blackguard, plus-

Last edited:

Tehillah

I own a Yaron LP and Broadcaster but I have never played a Detemple. My take is that Yaron is more faithful replica with modern wiring, 9.5 radius and larger frets. I believe Detemple has tried to improve on the originals with titanium parts and proprietary pickups. Both builders start with great wood. My Yaron Broadcaster has reclaimed one piece ash body and reclaimed maple neck. The pickups are made with old wire and magnets. Gil winds pickups specifically for each guitar to match the sonic properties of the instrument. I would expect the Detemple to have its own sound especially with the titanium saddles. Previous posts refer to more overtones and strong response in the upper register.The Yaron sounds like a vintage Broadcaster, fat and full sounding not overly bright or trebly. I would want to have both guitars if I could afford it!
Hey, John- "Fat and Full/not overly bright or trebly"- sounds right up my alley- thanks! Mikey D modeled the '52 Spirit after his personal 1952 Blackguard, yet, there are added overtones, etc., with the titanium/pups, as you suggest- really wanna play a Yaron!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom