• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ybarra pickup wiring question.

NoahL

I opened up a strat with 2011 Custom Shop AY pickups. They meter at 5.2 each. Found a 500k tone pot (literally meters 504k) and a treble bleed. The guitar sounds more Stratty than any I've played. Real stringy and acoustic, super-quack, all that. But it IS trebly (maybe that explains the magic?) and powerful, and my question is, is 500k plus treble bleed a common approach? Or did this luthier really experiment until he got just what he wanted?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
my question is, is 500k plus treble bleed a common approach?
on vintage-type strats no, it tends to be too bright or even harsh.

that said, keeping the 250k volume and opening up the tone pot values can be a viable approach to getting more brightness out of a strat; nudge a 500k tone back to like "7" and you have a 250k tone on "10" again, something not true of the volume pot.

NoahL

Why is that not true on a volume pot? The answer must be simple, but I'm curious.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Why is that not true on a volume pot? The answer must be simple, but I'm curious.
different kind of circuit. the volume pot uses all three lugs, and the resistance between the outer two is always the same no matter where you turn it (a "voltage divider" i believe?). a 500k volume turned down is not the same sound as a 250k pot turned up.

with the tone pots you're just using two lugs as a variable resistor; turn down the 500k tone until it reads 250k between the two lugs and you've got the same sound.

Trending Topics