1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Yeah, its a dragon!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Devin, May 15, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

This my first "non repro" build 4th overall. Inspired by a certain rock musicians pants and early guitar sound. Im pretty happy about how it turned out but would do some things different next time around. Finish on the body is french polish lacquer. Guitar is crazy light (swamp ash). Glendale bridge, nos caps etc. Cream plastic klusons look really good (not in photo) may take better pics later. The neck is is super flamed (fatback) but it doesn't pick up well on the iphone in this light. Knobs are rosewood. having trouble keeping strings on the saddles at the moment. Sound is good, very explosive acoustic sound. Have a duncan broadcaster in there,... like it more and more but found it kinda harsh. Gotta Don Mare inbound 11.5k (probably should have done the 10k but... this is one louder...) hopefully suit the guitar well. Art is a drawing my sister did which i burned in to the wood.

Let me know what you think, Im interested in building guitars as a pro someday but just got out of college so thats not looking like a good way to get rich quick. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. t3oi

t3oi Member

Very cool looking!

3. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

I very much like the faded denim colour, although wouldn't be too sure the french polish lacquer stand up to heavy wear though.

It is cool looking and I wish you well in your future projects.... I do, (however) struggle to visually interpret the features of the dragon.

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I like everything except the pickguard.

5. Devin

yeah i know what you mean. sorry you guys dont like the guard! its my own design. I had limited materials.

6. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

what's the pickguard made of?

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Looks fine.. have an issue with the pickguard too

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i like it all except the pickguard too. best to either leave it off and add more artwork, or put a full flat white guard on imho. maybe add some stylish waves or clouds too?

[​IMG] A jade green strat is next!

9. Devin

It's made of real celluloid, I didn't buff it. It's a great looking material. I used what I had left over from a strat guard,

10. Just1more

Just1more Member

Great job in my opinion. Very unique & original design, & I personally like the pickguard. Good luck with your future projects.

11. Joses

Joses Member

I think it looks amazing man! Agree with the sentiment that the guard does have a bit of the cheese factor, but it does appeal to me on the other hand as well. Nicely done!

12. H Golf Sport

H Golf Sport Supporting Member

Wow!!! Killer job. Like the Pickguard. Guitar looks great wouldn't change a thing.

13. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

great job , I certainly would play that

14. loki1982

loki1982 Member

Very nice looking ax you got there, I like the pickgaurd or at least the idea. From my way of looking at things though I think a white/black two ply pickgaurd with the flame shape and then engrave the fire design into it so you had the black tracework... just a thought. Excellent work though!

15. Devin

Thanks for the comments guys! :beer

I like the engraved pickguard idea, gotta look into that.

16. slpayne

slpayne Member

man if this thing plays as good as it looks, you have a winner!

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I really like the finish and he dragon. The way you did it will probably age./ wear well. I might have left it naked (no pickguard)