• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Year of manufacture for Deluxe Reverb Amp

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
I pulled some numbers off of the chassis components of my Deluxe Reverb. Can anyone here accurately estimate its year of make? Thanks! Silver face plate, btw.

Here are the numbers:

022 921
606 -8- 38

022 640
606 -8- 05

022 707
608 830

F 025130
606 828
CSA TESTED

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I estimate that the year of manufacture ended in 8 :p.

If it's a silverface and doesn't have an IEC type AC hookup or long tail under the Fender badge, I'd guess '78...unless the grill cloth has the drip edge or the Fender badge has the long tail under it, in which case it would almost certainly be a '68. But I'd want to see the speakers and codes, type of wiring used, caps, etc. There are lots of other helpful clues to be seen. Photos would be most helpful.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, Leon.

This is the only pic of the Deluxe that I have on hand; is seen in the lower left corner.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, Leon.

I've got a Weber 12F150 speaker in it now, but still have the original. It is a Utah.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Yeah, I had a Utah in mine too. Pretty crappy speaker, IMO. I wound up with a Cannabis Rex and mine.

lpcustom

That aluminum trim appeared in 1967 and stayed through some of 1969, so those tranny numbers indicate late '68 or '69. If you (or your tech) ever have the chassis out, the build date will likely be inscribed inside.

Sweet amp. Enjoy!

edgewound

No dating by serial number as it is scratched off.

It looks to be a 1968 according to the numbers you've presented....Maybe a '69 depending on how fast parts moved out of inventory.

The tube chart will also have a date code on it, if it's still present, anyway. Amp was probably stolen somewhere along the line.

Google is your friend.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/amplifier-product-dating

DATING FENDER AMPLIFIERS (INCLUDING SILVERFACE AND BLACKFACE AMPS) USING TRANSFORMER CODES

In general, Fender amps that don't have rubber-stamped tube sticker date codes have EIA numbers on their transformers that might enable determination of the production date. These numbers always begin with "EIA 606," and are followed by three or four digits in various combinations.

If three digits are present, the first digit refers to the year (i.e., a "7" would mean 1967). If four digits are present, the first two digits refer to the year (i.e., a "66" would mean 1966). The last two digits refer to the week of the year (i.e., a "26" would mean the 26th week or, roughly, June). For example, EIA 606-4-21 would denote the 21st week of 1964. It is also advisable to add about 6 months to the date to allow for time these parts may have spent in inventory storage.REFERENCE MATERIALS FOR DATING FENDER AMPLIFIERS

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to picture scratching out a stamped chassis number. Was it covered w/ a serial number sticker? They did that sometimes...usually Showman/Twin though. I ask because a query here not long ago asked about a scratched factory 'sticker' number w/ another number underneath.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to picture scratching out a stamped chassis number. Was it covered w/ a serial number sticker? They did that sometimes...usually Showman/Twin though. I ask because a query here not long ago asked about a scratched factory 'sticker' number w/ another number underneath.
No, it looks like someone used a dremel tool or something of that nature to grind it right out. They obviously wanted that number gone.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Jeez, the only reason for scratching on the serial number that I can imagine is someone didn't want it to be identifiable because it was stolen. :( Are you sure that amp wasn't hot at some point?

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I'm sure it was hot at some point. It's been with me for 10 years now and I did purchase it from a business.

FWIW, I didn't know the serial number was missing until the amp was shipped to me from the USA. I remember trying to speak with the dealer about it but I think he wanted to ignore the issue.

Tone Meister

606-828 what does this mean on my amp transformer
@Jason medine

That question is also answered in post #2, but you'll have to perform a simple process of elimination. Check out the details that LeonC provided and you should be able to date it pretty quickly.

Or you could try the links in posts #8 and #10.

Reading the entire thread is your friend, my friend.

Trending Topics