Yellow Jackets or New Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jcmark611, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I've just learned about THD's Yellow Jackets and I wonder if that maybe the solution to the problems with my Hot Rod Deluxe. I find the HRDlx to be too muddy and too loud. I've looked around and found the Blues Junior is a much better sounding amp but, isn't it just a HRDlx with EL84s?

Which would you do? Buy a new amp or put EL84s in the HRDlx?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

An easy way to control the volume of the HRD is to use a volume box inserted into the effects loop(power amp send and return).
    It's just a box with a 100k pot inside and an input and output jack.Two short cords and you've got unlimited control over the volume level of your HRD.It makes a loud,unuseable amp totally controllable without getting inside to change pots and such.
    go to E-bay and do a search on HRD volume box and you'll see them for sale.If you like you can make your own for about five bucks or so.
    The HRD and the Blues Jr are totally different amps inside.They share no common circuits at all.
    Also,the stock speakers on the HRD suck royally.Get something like a Celestion Vintage 30 or a weber speaker and it will improve the tone about a thousand precent.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Phsyconoodler is right... I also highly recommend trying to find an Eminence Cannibis Rex for a replacement speaker....It makes everything annoying sounding about that amp actually sound good!!....

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I got a Tweed Hot Rod so it has some type of Jesen speaker in it. I cannot recall what it is off the top of my head.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I like Yellow Jackets. They change the sound of the amp some and add a lot of harmonic complexity to the distortion. The one thing they don't do is reduce volume significantly.

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

7. tubedude

tubedude Member

The Yellow Jackets are a very good option to consider. I have had them in my 1966 modified Fender Bassman for over 5 years. I recently tried placing 6L6 's and El34's back in the amp, but the Yellow Jackets went back in yesterday after about a year and I am again moving this amp back to my # 1 gigging amp. It does change the tone quite a bit but I like the change and the volume drop that lets the power amps work harder for a more complex tone. I say give it a try and even if you don't like the tone in that particular amp, save them for a different amp that you may purchase in the future.
    The yellow jackets have been one of the important addition to my tone.

8. tubedude

tubedude Member

opps ,meant to say power tubes work harder!

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I tried YJ's in a 50 watt JMP non master. They took away everything that was cool about the amp. Might work in a HRD though.

10. scott1568

scott1568 Member

It seems that a common response to the Yellowjackets and Groove Tube Substi-tubes are dissatisfaction with them in non Fender amps.

I too put them in my '67 Bassman. They are there to stay. I have also read positive reviews for using them in the HRD. They did reduce my volume, I would say somewhat significantly.

11. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Well, I purchased one of the e-Bay volume boxes. I will see how that works and if it sucks then I'll invest in the yellowjackets. If it still kinda blows then I'll look at putting in a new speaker.

I would really like to keep the amp now that Fender if making an extension cab for all the styles of Hot Rod they have made. It comes with a Celestion G12P-80 speaker.

12. scottlaned

scottlaned Supporting Member

13. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I listened to the clips on his site and didn't really care for any of them.