yellow jackets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tbone666, Oct 6, 2005.

1. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

does anyone out there believe in these things? i have a cheap-o fender blues deville 4x10 that's actually a decent amp but would like to experiment and would be into these things if they actually do what they say they're suppose to. i believe there are two 6l6's in there currently. i don't believe this amp lends itself to many mods out there, and before i spent a 1000+ to get a new amp i'd like to see what these are capable of.

any input?

thanks-

todd

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

believe? i'm quite sure they exist. ;)

they sound great. give 'em a shot.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

They do change the sound, and the volume at which breakup starts, without changing the overall volume very much. But it's a cheap thrill-definitely worth a try. Also try and find some decent EL84s to drop in there...

4. tbone666

what's a good brand of the el84's to try? i've NEVER experimented with tubes so i need a little direction.

thanks-

5. tuoti

tuoti Member

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Depends what amp you put them into. I had a quad in a Marshall SLP re-issue, it sure brought the volume down a lot - but it was still plenty loud. If extreme volume reduction is your thing, you're probably better off with an attenuator. Different cranked tone at slightly lower volumes (2 power tube amps) - the YJs are just the ticket.

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

+ 1 on the JJs, but two of them are still quite loud ... plus you don't have much control over the sweet spot vs how loud the amp it. Attenuators will be more flexible on volume levels.

8. tbone666

this is why i ask - thanks guys this helps a lot.

re: the attenuators, are you able to hook that up to a combo amp? i understand how they go between a head and a cab, but not too sure how it'd work with a 4x10 blues deville.

9. Loves_LPs

Loves_LPs Member

So best of both, would be to use Yellow Jackets AND an attenuator, right? Did I understand, that the YJ's reduce the size of your sweet spot? Bummer!

10. Rich M

Rich M Member

They do change the tone quite a bit. Put them in a Marshall SL and thought they sucked. Tried them in a Vox V120 - sounds great. Go figure...

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Back when I owned a 40w Hot Rod Deluxe, I put in a pair of YJ's to lower the volume at breakup. Gets the wattage down to 15-18w or so at full crank, good distortion, and the voicing still sounded like the Fender. Definitely worth a try....

Kiwi

12. 6789

6789 Member

I play with a Victoria Regal that uses one 6L6. With a yellowjacket and an EL84 it sounds more like an amp running EL84 - less volume, not as big and deep of a sound. I was hoping for the same sound as my 6L6 but less volume, but it really did change the tone just enough that I put the 6L6 back in.