Yellow? Yellow? Is there a phone ringin'?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dexter.Sinister, May 6, 2015.

1. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

My tinnitus seems to be moving into the "keep a guy up all night" stage. Dammit.

I wear earplugs most of the day now. Driving me blinking bonkers. Sure glad I meditate every day...

The Power of Rawk demands sacrifice...dammit...

Carrion.

2. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Oof.

I'm sure you're up to speed on all the latest research.
    The closest Cool Clinic (to you**) I can think of is :
    the Cleveland Tinnitus Clinic.
    Mail Code A71
    9500 Euclid Avenue
    Cleveland, OH 44195
    Phone: 216 444-6691

Since my local one (OHSU) has closed their Tinnitus clinic, I've lost track of the latest and greatest.
    My sincere best wishes...I'm afraid my dental handpieces have me on the same track, but about 5 years behind you...I'm guessing.

**huh... I thought you were at Illinois or Indianda or some such...Location sez South Florida....now I am confused.

3. Dexter.Sinister

Gracias. Yeah, down on da be-yatch. Used to be up yonder way in Eugene (Vancouver, SF...), but Chicago and its outer territories in my youth and early adulthood.

I'm afraid of docs down here...and I teach in our med school!

4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps these folks can get you aimed right:

American Tinnitus Association National Headquarters
    522 S.W. Fifth Ave.; Ste. 825
    Portland, OR 97204
    TF: 800 634-8978
    T: 503 248-9985
    F: 503 248-0024

I've always wondered where this research went:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16419698
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186835-a-implant-that-trains-your-brain-to-stop-tinnitus

I've done a little informal 'consulting' on some challenging hearing/implant cases (Pierre-Robin Syndrome, Klinefelter's, [both tend to have micrognathic mandibles and abnormal bone formations in the Mastoid Process] and traumatic auditory pathway damage).
    One thing that WAS being considered a few years back was to zero in on a frequency band using mandibular bone conduction to mimic the audio range of the tinnitus-noise being 'heard' by an individual, the create an out-of-phase signal in attempts to introduce a nulling waveform. I'm not sure where it got to...when I last had my hands in it, the problems was getting the patients to understand enough about phase relationships and nulling... it was all being done by hand... unfortunately, no one had been able to tap into CN VIII sufficiently to 'read' the pathologic waveforms (if created in the outer/middle ear or cochlea. At that time.

But really, start with finding a GOOD tinnitus doc and verify the nature of your condition (iirc, it starts w/ determining 'objective' vs 'subjective' forms, ruling out the odd tumors and neuromas, blahblahblah) then go from there.
    Hell, with your background, you might be able to find a way to down-regulate any over-stimulated or damaged/oscillating neurons in the area.

Again, good luck... it sucks.

5. Dexter.Sinister

Many thanks El_Juan. some daze are better, others worse. I use radio and AC and fan noise to equilibrate to sleep. As folks realize how sensitive ears are, expectations appear to shift to make performance settings healthier but also less fun.

Conflicted, but in need of some help, I reckon.