• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

YEP. PRS MAKES THE BEST ELECTRIC GUITARS.

DiPa

Constant GAS
It's identical to yours, and all your fault too, once I heard the sound yours made.

McCarty 594 Semi Hollow with Brazilian board and trem.
Clip from Dijkmans store in the Netherlands
Screenshot%202021-09-19%20at%2018.50.49.png
I always say TGP is the trigger place, if anyone is serious about losing the gas, gotta quit this place, but it’s too hard, kinda addicted being here, and yeah it’s gas town.

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
I always say TGP is the trigger place, if anyone is serious about losing the gas, gotta quit this place, but it’s too hard, kinda addicted being here, and yeah it’s gas town.

I have no idea what you're talking about. ha ha

ProfRhino

Beauty Tag, beautiful, gorgeous guitars.
I want a HB with 2 f holes, no piezo and would love to have Trem included if possible, that would be the trigger point
add a 4 pot layout, and you'll have my dream guitar ...
but I let @Tag convince me it's not a realistic option - he sure has a hollow point there about that solid guitar ! :idea
or was it the other way round ? :nuts

I'm fortunate enough to have the HB II thing covered nicely already, tone and playability are out of this world (stock 57/08s, and she's got the mandatory 6100 upgrade). :love:
Pza29uW.jpg

so next stop will probably be some kind of semi-hollow with trem, not the Mayer style though - I play pick'n'fingers, and the "framed" middle PU is total no-go for me, gets in the way big time ...
I'll say it again, Grissom's got it right once more, now bring it on already ! :waiting

lol, fantastic guitars no doubt, all we have to do is find the right one (or three) ... :cool:

cheers,
Rhino

DiPa

Constant GAS
but I let @Tag convince me it's not a realistic option - he sure has a hollow point there about that solid guitar ! :idea

I'm fortunate enough to have the HB II thing covered nicely already, tone and playability are out of this world (stock 57/08s, and she's got the mandatory 6100 upgrade). :love:
Pza29uW.jpg

so next stop will probably be some kind of semi-hollow with trem, not the Mayer style though - I play pick'n'fingers, and the "framed" middle PU is total no-go for me, gets in the way big time ...
I'll say it again, Grissom's got it right once more, now bring it on already ! :waiting

lol, fantastic guitars no doubt, all we have to do is find the right one (or three) ... :cool:

cheers,
Rhino
Gas gas gas

Tachymetres

Gold Supporting Member
Another PRS Hollowbody and thinline CS tele owner here. As tag mentioned later in the thread very different guitar. The thinline tele isn't the far from a solid body tele. The one I have is a bit more acoustic sounding and very resonant(and only 5.4lbs). At lower volumes(such as duo jazz gigs) you can hear the acousticness more, at louder volumes it would be hard to separate it from a regular tele. Maybe it's less bright if anything and more air around the notes, but it is still a tele. The PRS hollowbodies are its own thing, it is hard to compare it to anything else really.
Qptdzr1.jpg

tCB8Zbh.jpg
Very nice, thank you! I've also thought Tab's tone sounded like a Tele but like you, much smoother than a solid body.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member

Pza29uW.jpg

cheers,
Rhino

Grab a Cu22 semi hollow trem. They are phenomenal!!

Tachymetres

Gold Supporting Member
As Tag said, quite different. To get Tab's tone (which he himself vastly prefers from his #1) you need to find the right combination of thinline and WRHB pickups. I've played a few originals, a new custom shop (not even close) and this latest one which I'd ordered five years ago. Standard tele pickups in a thinline tele are completely different, and hollow/ semi-hollow PRSs don't have those nasal biting upper mids that make Tab's guitar sound the way it does.

Here's a a little group shot from this morning:
Very sweet collection, thanks! So far my '58 VOS 335 satisfies my hollowbody sound but Tag's PRS tone is outstanding!

Tag

Pza29uW.jpg

cheers,
Rhino
With a RW neck!

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Gold Supporting Member
Serious question.. Why would you be afraid to play it?? Every guitar is going to get marks no matter how beautiful or ugly. Beautiful guitars make me want to play them MORE. And PRS can fix and major dents or dings at very reasonable prices if one really freaked you out. One of mine fell off the wall hanger and put 2 big dents and several scratches in the neck right through the finish. Brutal! PRS quoted me under $200 to get it like new. I have yet to send it back and will after the frets wear out. Their PTC center is AMAZING.
From fretwork to entire refinishing. They did an old PS I had...frets, pup change, tuner change, and complete refinish for around $2600. That was on a totally beat to death 12k guitar I had for over 10 years and it came back looking brand new. The workmanship was pure PRS.
Buy one and play the snot out of it. That's what Paul builds them for.
:beer
When I got my 1st HB II, I definitely was afraid to play it. It weighed just a hair under 5lbs and I thought I would break it or it would cave in under hard playing. But here we are, 18 years later, and it still plays just like the 1st day I opened the case(although it did have a minor trip to the PTC at one point).

Enjoy that thing, man!

ProfRhino

With a RW neck!

wow, that's a looker - right up my alley ! :love:
I would prefer a mahogany neck myself, RW necks are banned for import in EU anyway, afaik. :mad:
but else ... yes, one like that in EU would put me in serious danger next year ...
gotta do some saving first, I never do credit for instruments. :nono

you sure have great taste in guitars ! :cool:
appreciate your recommendation,
Rhino

Reactions: Tag

Chicago Slim

Maybe so. For me, what does a PRS do that I can't do on my strat/tele/Les Paul/sg/335?

The carved hollow and semi-hollows have their own sound. I split the pickup types, between PRS and vintage sounding sets. The PRS pickups have more clarity. I was getting hired by Nashville recording artists and they liked the sound of my PRS better than my Tele. Solid bodies are more resonant. I put warmer pickups in a solid body, and it now sounds like my old ES335 and Heritage H535. Sometimes the only difference, is how it hangs from a guitar strap.

Last edited:

Tag

wow, that's a looker - right up my alley ! :love:
I would prefer a mahogany neck myself, RW necks are banned for import in EU anyway, afaik. :mad:
but else ... yes, one like that in EU would put me in serious danger next year ...
gotta do some saving first, I never do credit for instruments. :nono

you sure have great taste in guitars ! :cool:
appreciate your recommendation,
Rhino

Same dealer has them with Mahogany and Maple necks as well!!!
:banana :banana :banana

geetaruke

I’ve always thought they were gorgeous. And in terms of build quality, even the Indonesian builds are as good or better than American builds from Gibson and Fender. At least in my experience. I’ve had 2 SE’s and 1 CE, but the sounds never really gave me a stiffy. The American model was better in that regard, but just something off putting to my personal tastes that I can’t exactly put my finger on.

My brother is a lucky guy. He loves them, and eventually I sold him all 3 for…much less than what I paid for them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom