• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

YEP. PRS MAKES THE BEST ELECTRIC GUITARS.

Chicago Slim

Tag, you are hitting on all the things that I have heard for years. The carved bodies, tremolo bridges, fewer frequency robbing POTs, all improve the sound. I've just been afraid to say that they're, better!

I've recently sold a great Gibson and Gretsch, because I didn't play them. The reason that I didn't play them was the lame-ass, 1950's, ergonomics. They are fine for people who want to look at a guitar or collect them. I'm looking for advancements in sound and design.

• Love
Reactions: Tag

DiPa

Constant GAS
I put up an acoustic one earlier, but here is one I did yesterday but just with my phone jamming to a Wes Montgomery tune. Guitar volume is rolled down and it's through a Louis Electrics Columbia at very low volume. Better clips through ....

THE MIGHTY QUINN

will be coming!!

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Great playing Tag, now play that exact same lines on a big body Gibson…see which you like better ;)

GT3

Silver Supporting Member
Too many don’t even know, Engineers today make a lot more money than a Dentist, Lawyer or Medical Doctors, maybe 50 years ago it was the opposite. My friends are MDs, Psychiatrists and I know what they make. Prestigious job, yeah, but the insurance regulations and their wages were capped many years ago.
They don’t get bonuses, stock options etc..
So all that perception about doctors making huge $ is false.

Are you talking about the US? I'm an engineer and I employ numerous engineers. Salaries for engineers are certainly less than doctors, and on average less than dentists too. Lawyer salaries vary over a wide range from struggling to very high incomes. I don't consider 'software engineers' to be engineers (who need to study a lot of natural science applied science involving physics, chemistry, and/or biology), that's an area of IT. Software engineers make about $100K on average, which is far below the average salary of doctors.

Last edited:

DiPa

Constant GAS
Are you talking about the US? I'm an engineer and I employer numerous engineers. Salaries for engineers are certainly less than doctors, and on average less than dentists too. Lawyer salaries vary over a wide range from struggling to very high incomes. I don't consider 'software engineers' to be engineers (who need to study a lot of natural science applied science involving physics, chemistry, and/or biology), that's an area of IT. Software engineers make about $100K on average, which is far below the average salary of doctors.
I am talking about USA and specifically EE, I know what Semiconductor industry pays, as well as Software engineers, and as I said, the pay is a package of base pay, bonus and stock options.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
While I get what TAG is saying and definitely true. My point was they feel Cookie Cutterish and lack the feel and resonance Gibsons(good ones) see, to have.
I feel the same way about Tom Andersons instruments. Well excucuted but somewhat lacking in the sa,same, dept.depth.

TAG I'm talking about just the guitars demoed by them selves without amps ,etc.

Tachymetres

Gold Supporting Member
Too many don’t even know, Engineers today make a lot more money than a Dentist, Lawyer or Medical Doctors, maybe 50 years ago it was the opposite. My friends are MDs, Psychiatrists and I know what they make. Prestigious job, yeah, but the insurance regulations and their wages were capped many years ago.
Hmm, my friend, a thoracic surgeon is the second highest paid employee at his hospital after the CEO making approximately $1M per year.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Great playing Tag, now play that exact same lines on a big body Gibson…see which you like better ;)

I have an L5 Dipa! LOVE IT!!
Gibson and Buscarino make my favorite jazz guitars and they are totally different. Gibsons have that big fat, old cutting type of tone. Buscarinos, like most post DeAquisto builders are very delicate, expressive instruments but fold in on themselves if you pick or play to hard. Night and day, but if I can only have one, it's my Gibson.
:banana :banana :banana
Also, the old Guild Artist Awards are killer.
I had a 1959 Guild Johnny Smith and a 61 Gibson Johnny Smith at the same time. SO RARE!!
Traded both in towards the Dumble.

Tag

While I get what TAG is saying and definitely true. My point was they feel Cookie Cutterish and lack the feel and resonance Gibsons(good ones) see, to have.
I feel the same way about Tom Andersons instruments. Well excucuted but somewhat lacking in the sa,same, dept.depth.

TAG I'm talking about just the guitars demoed by them selves without amps ,etc.

The PRSs are much more resonant instruments acoustically. They use better wood and have much better tolerances. it translates to more resonance and depth. That R9 Murphy was exceptional however. It rang out FAR louder than any other R9 I have played or owned. The light weight and exceptional wood on that individual guitar was what made me buy it for that much $$ and keep it for 2 years. Phenomenal R9. Still, can't touch the PRSs. Modern day construction beats 65 year old technology hands down. It's just a much more sophisticated instrument compared to those old boat anchor clunkers.
And honestly the new PRS pups are far superior to the hyped to death "PAFs". Lol! They are old dead sounding pups imo. I have played a ton of them, and have not cared for any. Dull sounding pups.

:dude :dude :dude

Tag

I'm selling my PRS CE24... even thought it plays better than both my Gibson and Fender.

And I just sold my last R9.

I'm not big on the SE or CE instruments honestly.
I'm a core/Wood library/ PS kind of guy, just like I am a Gibson and Fender Custom shop/Murphy/ Artisan kind of guy. The upper end instruments almost always sound better to me. Not always, but most times.

Tag

If tone, feel and looks figure into the equation of what comprises “the best” when it comes to electric guitars, then I will solidly disagree with the OP’s assertion. But in that light there is no “best”, only preferences and opinions...a million dancing bananas can‘t change that fact, sorry Tag.

Sure! What feels and looks better to an individual is totally subjective! Agree!
BUT!!! Using higher quality woods, better construction/tolerances and QC is not! These lead to consistently phenomenal guitars with only a few clunkers.
:beer

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member

Plus many of them are now paycheck workers who are employed by large medical and dental groups. So not near the big money old.

Every wealthy person I know did it by being an entrepreneur, or the old fashioned way- inheriting or marrying money.

The cliche of the blues dentist is a tired one.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I was going to say that I'm surprised that anyone who has owned a Buscarino would consider a PRS the pinnacle of guitar building. I have a Campellone and its miles ahead of any other guitar I've owned. But of course it's not for rocking out.

Of Tag's couch guitars, I would be most interested in trying the Ritenour L5, those are intriguing and hard to find.

But while we are on the subject of PRS, I would interested to know if any of the the semi or hollows get close to a Languedoc type sound. Those tones interest me.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
The PRSs are much more resonant instruments acoustically. They use better wood and have much better tolerances. it translates to more resonance and depth. That R9 Murphy was exceptional however. It rang out FAR louder than any other R9 I have played or owned. The light weight and exceptional wood on that individual guitar was what made me buy it for that much $$ and keep it for 2 years. Phenomenal R9. Still, can't touch the PRSs. Modern day construction beats 65 year old technology hands down. It's just a much more sophisticated instrument compared to those old boat anchor clunkers.
And honestly the new PRS pups are far superior to the hyped to death "PAFs". Lol! They are old dead sounding pups imo. I have played a ton of them, and have not cared for any. Dull sounding pups.

:dude :dude :dude

Sorry, you lost me there. PAF's are bright pickups. I owned a PAF ES345 for 20 years and have had a pair in an R8 since 1994. They are the opposite of dull.

Haven't you heard the whole "telecaster on steroids" thing? C'mon now....

Tag

Sorry, you lost me there. PAF's are bright pickups. I owned a PAF ES345 for 20 years and have had a pair in an R8 since 1994. They are the opposite of dull.

Haven't you heard the whole "telecaster on steroids" thing? C'mon now....

I have yet to hear a bright pair.
:dunno

Tag

Tag, you are hitting on all the things that I have heard for years. The carved bodies, tremolo bridges, fewer frequency robbing POTs, all improve the sound. I've just been afraid to say that they're, better!

I've recently sold a great Gibson and Gretsch, because I didn't play them. The reason that I didn't play them was the lame-ass, 1950's, ergonomics. They are fine for people who want to look at a guitar or collect them. I'm looking for advancements in sound and design.

Like them or not, PRS is CONSTANTLY trying to improve the guitars and look at it in different ways.
I do not care for all models, and flat out dislike some. But they all are made to the highest standards, and you just have to find the right model for your style!

Mac Daddy 355

MilkBone Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I’ve owned and played them all at some point and still have a few , but at the end of the day I’m a Tele Guy … But that’s just me

Ardis

Silver Supporting Member
I put up an acoustic one earlier, but here is one I did yesterday but just with my phone jamming to a Wes Montgomery tune. Guitar volume is rolled down and it's through a Louis Electrics Columbia at very low volume. Better clips through ....

THE MIGHTY QUINN

will be coming!!

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Awesome playing, Tag! Really enjoyed listening to it, which is SELDOM the case when I find demo videos on YT. Bravo!

• Love

The bear

Yes, I was going to say that I'm surprised that anyone who has owned a Buscarino would consider a PRS the pinnacle of guitar building. I have a Campellone and its miles ahead of any other guitar I've owned. But of course it's not for rocking out.

Of Tag's couch guitars, I would be most interested in trying the Ritenour L5, those are intriguing and hard to find.

But while we are on the subject of PRS, I would interested to know if any of the the semi or hollows get close to a Languedoc type sound. Those tones interest me.
I agree. I have played a Buscarino, it was great. Always wanted to try the Lee Rit L5 sig. I think PRS makes a great guitar. Soundwise and also playing wise(the 25 scale on most of them and the 10 radius) I have guitars that I like better that I also consider on an even higher level in terms of craftsmanship. As production guitars PRS is as good as it gets, but once in a while Gibson Customshop and Fender Customshop makes a guitar on a similar level. In my book Collings is a step above. Also you have small builders such as Gustavsson, Yaron, Buscarino, Yanuziello, Slaman, Sharpack, Ken Parker etc that makes guitars on an extremely high level.The PRS Private stocks are up there in that company too.
The bottom line is, when it comes to that level, it all comes down to personal taste and playing style and musical interest.Also just because someone favors one brand, doesn't mean one need to measure up or cut down on others. My personal favorite is Collings, but I still have 3 PRS and 3 Fender Custom shop's as well as a McInturr, G&L etc. I love all the guitars. One day I'll get a good Gibson too. Either a custom shop or a vintage one. ES175, L5, Byrdland, 335, Les Paul Florentine etc...

Cheddar Kung Pao

Are you talking about the US? I'm an engineer and I employer numerous engineers. Salaries for engineers are certainly less than doctors, and on average less than dentists too. Lawyer salaries vary over a wide range from struggling to very high incomes. I don't consider 'software engineers' to be engineers (who need to study a lot of natural science applied science involving physics, chemistry, and/or biology), that's an area of IT. Software engineers make about $100K on average, which is far below the average salary of doctors.

lol software engineering is part of IT? :rotflmao

Trending Topics

Top Bottom