• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

YEP. PRS MAKES THE BEST ELECTRIC GUITARS.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
This one TG, absolutely gorgeous, I guess you call it smoke maple ?

Burnt Maple leaf Dipa.
That's the HB2 not the 594HB2. It's as close to fully hollow as you can get with a soundpost like a violin. The 594HB2 has the shorter scale length, but a huge center block and heavy top bracing which kill a lot of the acoustic properties. It's more like a very hollow semi-hollow. I posted the internal pics of both above.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Got you! for some reason I thought it was two different hollowbodies listed. The 594 does indeed seem different. It is probably because of the tailpiece. The need more support for that. If it had a wrap around like the Hollowbody 2 it probably could have the same sound post?
That's where it gets tricky, because right around the time you got yours they went to much larger soundposts and that same heavy thick top bracing on the HB2s! It's the same time they dropped the McCarty name on them. But now they went BACK to the original construction method!! Hooray!!!
Exactly what year that is remains a mystery.
I hated the HB2s with the heavy bracing, bought one, and sent it right back. Acoustically DEAD.
Now they have it right again!!!
:banana :banana :banana

Rayzaa

I really like PRS guitars but wouldnt buy the expensive ones. Hec i think the 24/08 SE is a fine guitar for $900.

You can get a preowned SE Custom for $650 on Daves Guitars. If i get to the point that i want to buy a PRS, ill wait til Daves guitars has some preowned 24/08's and get it cheaper. That $900 is a new price. Actually they are $929.

I dont need another guitar, i have only 2 electrics. An SG and a Strat. Dont need a bunch as i dont gig.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I'm glad that HB2's are pretty rare on the racks, because they've always been awesome when I've played them.

Also, I have a "no birds" rule, so that keeps my wallet safe.

Quintus

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, buddy… years too late.:p

Nice collection! IMO, buying PRS has nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with the practical considerations we all apply to buying things: finding the best product for the best price. And by “best” I mean a product that offers the highest level of enjoyment, ease of use, craftsmanship, and reliability, compared to similar products. With PRS you get boutique quality at a reasonable price point and excellent quality at a number of other price points.

GT3

Silver Supporting Member
Nice collection! IMO, buying PRS has nothing to do with elitism and everything to do with the practical considerations we all apply to buying things: finding the best product for the best price. And by “best” I mean a product that offers the highest level of enjoyment, ease of use, craftsmanship, and reliability, compared to similar products. With PRS you get boutique quality at a reasonable price point and excellent quality at a number of other price points.
Sometimes we buy something because it's expensive, to get the feeling that we're getting something special and have treated ourselves and maybe have elevated our own status. Many studies show this to be true, where more of an item is sold if the price is raised substantially, and I don't think music gear is exempt from this.

Quintus

Silver Supporting Member
Sometimes we buy something because it's expensive, to get the feeling that we're getting something special and have treated ourselves and maybe have elevated our own status. Many studies show this to be true, where more of an item is sold if the price is raised substantially, and I don't think music gear is exempt from this.
True. Conspicuous consumption is very real. We buy things that make us feel better about ourselves and boost our self esteem - regardless of what name is on the headstock.

Last edited:
Reactions: GT3

GT3

Silver Supporting Member
True. Conspicuous consumption is very real. We buy things that make us feel better ourselves and boost our self esteem - regardless of what name is on the headstock.
And even when we realize that, sometimes we just can't stop ourselves. Threads like this don't help ... :(

All of that said, I've bought some nice things in my life and I generally don't regret buying them. Unlike say diamond rings and fancy watches, at least we can say that things like guitars and cars make experiences possible, and that can provide some boost to our happiness on a sustained basis. But of course there's issue of diminishing returns, like in my case with already having more than 20 guitars.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
I guess I'm just old, but a good Gibson rings my bell! And yet to find any PRS thats come close.
Agree and I never warmed up to PRS when billed as a Gibson substitute. They aren't, and I played and worked on many and just didn't see it. It was only when I decided I wanted a non pointy 24 fret super strat that they started to make sense to me, and in that context, I think they are great.

GT3

Silver Supporting Member
Agree and I never warmed up to PRS when billed as a Gibson substitute. They aren't, and I played and worked on many and just didn't see it. It was only when I decided I wanted a non pointy 24 fret super strat that they started to make sense to me, and in that context, I think they are great.
I never thought of PRS as a substitute for Gibson. PRS has their own distinct thing going on, and it's good, which is why the company has been so successful.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom