yes another marshall question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeyST, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Ive never owned a marshall of any type.
    I'd like to get great marshall tone out of my ultra-clean fender vibro-king.
    for driven blues tone.

When I was in texas last year..a guy was playing a 1959 re-issue marshall head. Sounded amazing.

So when you guys refer to 800's...is that more of the 80's marshall sound.
    Like more harsh?

Which type of pedal gives you the warmer vintage marshall sound?

Sorry, I just dont know what it means when people recommend a pedal to get a plexi,900, or 800 type tone. There are a lot of good pedal suggestions in the back-posts..but they always refer to what type of marshall you're looking for.
    Im not sure I know

Mike

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

a lot of famous guitarists use both Plexi's and 800s in their rig (gary moore, robin trower, etc.)

here's the big differences:

JCM800 is a master volume amp that uses diode clipping to generate a lot of the distortion.

A plexi is really a chewy old-school amp that just sounds great when you turn it up.

Plexi = Hendrix, Page, etc.

JCM800 = Tom Morello, Slash, Frusciante, Zakk Wylde (boosted), and pretty much everybody in the 80s.

The 800 was essentially a hot rodded plexi amp. Designed for more gain, and to sound better at lower volumes.

To me plexis sound a lot more "alive". JCM800s have come to sound really generic to my ears. They are really "the sound" of rock post 1980.

3. Renardm

Renardm Member

The later JCM 800s used diode clipping. The earlier one channel amps were all tube.

4. sqadan

sqadan Member

If you want that warm vintage marshall sound from a pedal, try either the Menatone Workingman's Blue or the Zvex Box of Rock... Both are billed as Marshall JTM 45 in a box. Those should get you close.

5. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Thanks Guys
    really appreciate it

6. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Sounds like the Workingmans blues might be better for me than the King of Britains ?

7. sqadan

sqadan Member

King of the Britains is more for the crunch / higher gain side of the Marshall Universe - more the JCM 800 type sound IIRC...

Workingman's Blue was deisgned with Fender amps in mind - to give that early Marshall Plexi / JTM 45 sound...

The Box of Rock was designed to push Clean Marshall's into overdrive but works fine with other amps as well.

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Zvex B.O.R. Fulltone Distortion pro,and Boss DS-1 work great.
    That is a jcm800,1972 50 watter,and Vibroking with 2x12 in the photo..Covers a ton of ground.Fender takes the pedals I described very well..

[​IMG]

9. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

10. shecfr

shecfr Supporting Member

LovePedal Purple Plexi 100 or 800, Britsh Steel (Union Jack) by MSD, Keeler Push, all sound good thru my Fender Deluxe and Super Reverb for a Plexi tone. A lot of guys don't like the Fetto thru a Fender type amp, but I really dig the tones at higer volumes. If you are on a budget, might want to try some of the Rat clones....I recently picked up a Vintage Rat RI and it easy rivals some of the pedals mentioned above at gig level volumes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  11. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

I honestly think I might be thinking of it wrong...because of my own lack of experience (and talent)

I think Im old-school , where I think you buy a pedal that has one sound with a couple tweak and thats it. I've never combined pedals before finding this forum. Just plug it in and sound like you want right out of the box.

Over the past 8 months, I've bought my first 3 really good pedals....
    OCD, Zen2, Tim.

I love them all...but I honestly am somtimes lost when trying to combine or trying to shape my tone better.
    So when I asked about a marshall sound...maybe I already have what I need....just dont know how to get there. And again ...this is purely from my lack of experience.
    Does that make sense?

Or is a pedal like the Zvex BOR or the Menatone WMB something completely different than what I have? In that case it would be cool to try.

I know my zen is a completely different pedal that the OCD...

Sorry for being vague again, but I think I have these great pedals...aam looking at another...but just dont know how to really get the most out of them.

Mike

12. meterman

meterman Member

Not cheap but the BJF Dyna Red is the best pedal I've used/heard for getting vintage Marshall tones from a Fender amp. Great feel, gain range from bluesy to hard rock, voiced for Fenders but sounds great into many different amps

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

My opinions don't seem to go along with others in this post, but no disrespect intended.

- The Fulltone OCD (at least v1 and v2) has no Marshall flavor to it at all.

- The Menatone King of the Britains sounds nothing like a single channel JCM800 (model 2203 = 100watts, model 2204 = 50watts.) It's based on a Marshall SuperLead, which is different (see below.)

- A Marshall SuperLead to me has tons of chewy mids, very little "thumping" lows, and highs that can be kinda harsh at times. The amp is a little "wimpy" sounding to me (for lack of a better term) when it's used on it's own, but it sounds great in a band (where the bass has the lows.) Think of the classic tones from Jimmy Page, Bad Company, etc... The tone controls seem to be placed early in the signal and don't shape the tone of the amp in as drastic of a way as alot of other amps. Too much bass gets "mushy."

- The single channel Marshall JCM800s and came out in the early '80s are arguably the same amps as the master volume JMP heads that came out in the mid '70s. Just different cosmetics. These sound totally different than a SuperLead. The tone controls seem to be positioned later in the signal and they affect the tone of the amp more than the SuperLead. The amp has less mids and can be dialed in to be scooped. The tone is more aggressive than the SuperLead. A stock single channel JCM800 may have slightly more distortion on tap than a stock SuperLead cranked full blast, but not much. Think AC/DC "Back in Black" or tones from the bands Cinderella, Tesla, Black Crowes, etc...

- From what I can tell, the Box of Rock and Menatone KOTB are good at SuperLead tones, while the Wampler Plextortion, Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800, etc... are better at single channel JCM800 tones (with more distortion available.)

Just my opinions after being a die hard Marshall guy for many years...

Chris

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

To be specific, all production years of the 2205 and 2210 channel switching 800's used diode clippers. All of the single channel 800's are all tube driven dirt. There are other differences and changes thru the years but thats all available using the search.

15. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Yesterday someone suggested the menatone workingmans blues.
    I was leaning toward that or BOR.

But will I get a much different pedal than the OD's I already have?
    Zen, OCD and Tim?

I havent found too many locally to be able to compare