Yes, I'm asking for help searching for a 20W or less tube amp

Badfrog

My spending limit is about $750. I don't mind used but would prefer to get a new amp.

I pretty much play at home by myself 95% of the time. About the only time I'll take the amp out is to play with my BIL who drums. So I'm certainly thinking 20watts or less.

Here is what I am really looking for in my amp:

1) I really need something that is relatively quite (this is important). I'm getting ready to sell off my Fender Blues Deluxe because obviously it's too damn big and it also has a lot of static/hiss and that gets even worse with pedals.

2) It must take pedals well. I'm going to be using a looper quite a bit and I also like to have a mild OD in my chain as well as tremolo and a wah and will possibly add other stuff in the future.

3) A nice clean sound. FYI - I play thru a MIA Strat with 3 single coils. Also, I tend to play blues and classic rock type stuff.

Now, since I seem to like using a looper, should I be looking for an amp with an FX loop (my looper and Blues Deluxe did not get along at all)? Would it be best to keep down the extra noise by putting my looper in an FX loop? Looking for help on this one.

Marshally? Fenderish? Voxlike? I'm not extremely concerned about this. I guess i would tend to go in the Fender direction but I just want something that takes pedals well and doesn't make a ton of extra noise and doesn't sound like I'm ice picking when clean.

I guess the three amps I've thought about so far are the Marshall Class 5, Fender Blues Jr (seems like a lot of people want to mod them though), and the Hughes & Kettner Statesman Dual EL84 (20watts but has some nice features).

The one problem I've seen is that the lower the wattage on the amp, typically the quality (build and sound) goes down hill too. But I've only done some basic searching. I've rambled enough and have hopefully given enough info as to what I'm looking for. Thanks for any recommendations or advice. Cheers

BTW, my opportunities to get out and try amps suck so I'm looking for help identifying good options and to narrow down the field.

Oh man I just saw the Laney Lionheart L5T-112. That seems to have everything I'm looking for. All the features, excellent quality build. A little up in the price range but I'm digging it.

Last edited:

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
Egnater Tweaker. Plenty of clean volume for your needs, plus great overdrive when wanted, and very versatile.

Badfrog

Egnater Tweaker. Plenty of clean volume for your needs, plus great overdrive when wanted, and very versatile.
Hadn't even thought about the Egnater. Seems like a pretty good fit and the price is right. Just got a Lovepedal Kanji. Sounded great on my Vox VT50, now I'm dying to try it on a tube amp.

xStonr

Gold Supporting Member
I just got the Tweaker and yes, plenty of nice cleans with great overdrive too.

lo-watt

Reason Bambino with a 1x12 Private Jack...Whew! a Monster handmade in the USA, VERY flexable...with great cleans and AWESOME dirties..

I'm sorry to gush,but i was EXTREMELY pleased..

samuelson

Frenzel or Gries Minnow. you need something with a master and volume to keep the gain channel at lower volumes. the Minnow is very good for that. but with your budget you're probably getting a mass produced, run of the mill product. (which can be OK)

ES330

1) I really need something that is relatively quite (this is important). I'm getting ready to sell off my Fender Blues Deluxe because obviously it's too damn big and it also has a lot of static/hiss and that gets even worse with pedals.
According to the Laney website, the Lionheart L5T-112 is 21.5 kg/47.3 lbs
Fender Blues Deluxe is 45 lbs

2) It must take pedals well. I'm going to be using a looper quite a bit and I also like to have a mild OD in my chain as well as tremolo and a wah and will possibly add other stuff in the future.

3) A nice clean sound. FYI - I play thru a MIA Strat with 3 single coils. Also, I tend to play blues and classic rock type stuff.
Excluding the FX loop, I'm a fan of the Laney Cub 10
1x10 combo 2x12ax7, 2x6v6
It's loud enough at the clubs I play at... yes with a drummer.
Lightweight
It's got good dimensional cleans. The cabinet is very resonant.
Lightweight
It LOVES pedals !!!!
Did I mention it was lightweight...
$249

Blackhawk

Luker Tiger head or combo....handwired, made in USA $850 new...there is a used head here on the forum that used to be mine at $575 shipped...it would fit all of your needs.

Razz11

Reason Bambino with a 1x12 Private Jack...Whew! a Monster handmade in the USA, VERY flexable...with great cleans and AWESOME dirties..

I'm sorry to gush,but i was EXTREMELY pleased..
+1
Great cleans, and awesome stackmode
plus you can have an effects loop added in as well if you are concerned about pedals.

8 watt mode is plenty loud, and 2 watt mode especially in stack mode is also great and can be quiet.

wespants

With that sort of budget to work with, you have a lot of good options. I hear good things about the Egnaters above, but have never tried one.

I have a Class 5 that I like pretty good. I think it'd be better with a 12, but it is good enough as is. I like how light and portable it is. If your lookin to break the amp up, especially with the single coils, you're going to need to get some volume going on the Class 5. It doesn't necessarliy have a lot of headroom, but it's dang loud. It takes pedals very nicely.

Amps that you may also find interesting, and that fit in your budget, are some of the low watt offerings by Mesa-Boogie such as the Subway Rocket Reverb or the Studio .22 Cal. I had a Subway Rocket Reverb for a while and really like that amp. 20 watts, all tube with spring reverb. Single 10" speaker. Footswitchable with clean and 2 stages of dirt IIRC. Effects loop to use with your looper if you go that route. It had a GREAT clean sound, sort of Fender-ish. The drive channel was somewhere in between a classic Marshall tone and a Santana sound; very nice. The clean and drive channels had separate gains and volumes, so you could dirty up the drive channel, and you could get most any tone you wanted a low volumes. I needed the money and had some overlapping characteristics with other amps, so I let the Subway go, but I'd like to have another. You can buy one for about $400-$500 used (they are discontinued).

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
20 watts seems rather arbitrary as there are many 22 watt designs.

harpinon

The Hughes and kettner is a great choice, though I like the cleans on the 25th anniversary model. Super sparkly and chimy but with much more low end richness like a fender twin.
The thing is, the sweet spot is about 5 on the master vol. That's where the rich low end kicks in.

The gain channel sounds a lot like a 5150 amp. I really don't use it unless its for some quick practice.

Trending Topics