Yes...the H9000 is real!

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by hendrik7, Dec 19, 2016.

1. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

People STILL use and pay big cash for Eventides made 30+ yrs ago.
    Don't expect people "migrating" to the H9000 as easily as you think. Reality is different.
    So far... it does the same things as the H8000, only in more instances.

ctreitzell likes this.
  2. Allthesound

Allthesound Silver Supporting Member

It's definitely more work for developers to to stay current with Apples tightly controlled IOS eco-system so its likely support would end their first before anywhere else But with PC/MAC VST, AU ect support. There will always be a way to control it. IOS would be my first choice though , 10.5 touch screen control FTW.

The other way i see it as a benefit besides the cost savings is the less hardware parts count , the less points of failure.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    ctreitzell likes this.
  3. Allthesound

Sorry i thought the H8000 came out in 2005 (at least according to Wiki). According to Eventide the new Vsig will not be backwards compatible with the H8000 or older series and the new modules offered in the H9000 won't be ported backwards. Whether or not it will read old Vsig files remains to be seen.

ctreitzell likes this.
  4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Yeah I saw that post... but it doesn't really say what it will be. They're still wandering around...
    The two machines are not exactly two completely different platforms. The core is the same, only coded for new processors.
    So... Vsig could translate a request for an equivalent module flagged for that. Modules names could be the flags.
    So if one loads a DSP4000 to H8000 modules database in Vsig and opens up a sigfile, Vsig could understand the structure, call up the equivalent modules as they are all in there already and order the H9000 to compile the algorithm. Not as complex as one may think. No need to port modules back. Just do some extra smart programming under the hood. Vsigfile understands Windows Wordpad text and compiles algorithms with that...
    One of the greatest things Eventide always had was the possibility to not loose your work across machines changes. It's not like the Axe where everything gets "broken" or not working anymore at any major software/hardware change. This is PRO stuff! I can load my algorithms done on the 4000 in 1995... now. People have a lot of work done in the years and will want to be able to use it on the H9000. Missing on THIS point is a major mistake. Think about those studios with mastering reverbs and what not... their work will be a no go... that's just insane. I hope they really think about it and make some wise choices. You have to respect your users_base, BIG TIME!

ctreitzell likes this.
  5. Allthesound

I agree 100% it would be a insanely bad decision on their part not to provide the H9K the ability to read the older vsig files. I suspect the biggest part of their customer base for the new unit will be like you said folks that have already invested enormous amounts of time and energy programming the previous generation units. Not many will be so willing to go back to square one and pop down $7k for the privilege.
    That was one of the things that aggravated me the most when i had my Axe FX seemed like i had to go back and re-tweak alot when they released new firmware or roll back and restore and wait for them to get it sorted in numerous point releases. I tired of that amoung other things and bailed.

ctreitzell likes this.
  6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Yep.
    And you know what? It's just a simple matter of will. Nothing else.

ctreitzell and Allthesound like this.
  7. cbm

cbm Member

AFAIK, they haven't really said anything about users being able to design your own algorithms with something like vsig, have they?

ctreitzell likes this.
  8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Just something like... with such power it would be a waste to not be able to....
    I find scary to even have a need to think about this.

Man with Gas and ctreitzell like this.
  9. Allthesound

This is a quote from the eventide forum on Jan 5th:

"We are working on a version of VSig that will work with the H9000. We hope to have it ready for public beta when we start shipping the hardware."

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/rackmount/eventide-h9000?page=2

ctreitzell likes this.
  10. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

I'm asking because I truly want to understand. Why is being able to control using an iPad such a necessary thing? I had an H9, and used the the app. I just found it frustrating. Just making a minor tweak was such a pain in the ass.

Obviously people love being able to control things with their iPhone, iPad.

What is so wonderful about doing so? Again I just want to understand why people love it. I don't get it.

11. Dale007

Dale007 Member

I think it's a horrible development myself....not that one CAN do it, that's all well and good, but the fact that many devices are being "under cooked" and the user MUST use an app. I feel like it's just adding another piece of gear I don't want around. I don't want my phone/tablet/etc anywhere near me when I'm playing, lol.

12. Allthesound

Well it really depends on the UI layout and how its communicating with the device. Not sure how your ipad was talking to your H9 but if it was over bluetooth , my experience (not with the H9) has been its very slow and wonky. Frustrating is a good way to describe it. I have used the Ipad as an editor via midi and it was fast and slick! If Eventide plans on making a H9000 app that is bluetooth only i won't use it. USB or midi should be fine.

pangea2003 and ctreitzell like this.
  13. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

Yes it was with Bluetooth and it was awful. That I normally have Bluetooth off in order to save battery. Having to turn on Bluetooth, wait for pairing, then start the app. Oh for goodness sakes.

And indeed, I didn't find the UI that inspiring.

ctreitzell likes this.
  14. DieHon

DieHon Member

This is the only thing that keeps me away from the H9. I'm an Andorid user and don't wish to change that. This is a really bad thing because I've played the H9 several times and I think it's a wonderful machine, but having all that power and being unable to just adjust the delay time or feedback live is frustrating.

15. cbm

cbm Member

You can adjust any parameter on the H9 on the pedal itself. The three most important parameters are always brought out to the big knob, selected by X,Y, & Z buttons. They are often mapped to things like Mix, Time, and Feedback. Any of the XYZ buttons can also be put into "Expert mode," then repeated pushes of that button steps through all ten parameters in an algorithm. It's easier than it sounds.

DieHon and hendrik7 like this.
  16. DieHon

DieHon Member

Good to know that, thanks! Is this practical live?

17. cbm

cbm Member

It's not too bad, actually, if we're just talking about the directly mapped XYZ thing. The Expert Mode thing takes a little practice, but is also doable.