Yes...the H9000 is real!

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by hendrik7, Dec 19, 2016.

1. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

2. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

That first clip is gorgeous! What algo's are running there?

3. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

"The benefits of the new platform are abundantly clear, but a tricky side-effect of such a radical change is that the massive library of effects algorithms developed by Eventide over the last 30 or 40 years can't run directly on the new platform."

"To ensure that the ported algorithms sound exactly the same as the old ones, under all possible conditions and settings, Eventide developed a special 'automated listener' program to analyse each and every algorithm with every possible parameter value.."​

Not an easy call to make. I'd imagine there were some hands raised voting in opposition to this decision.

pangea2003 and ctreitzell like this.
  4. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

5. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Which? LOL

6. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Including PRO display - just any =D

teofilrocks likes this.
  7. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Even my car is worth less than that these days lol

mousepunk likes this.
  8. senordelaflor

senordelaflor Member

I believe this was CleanPreamp algo -> TC 2290 algo -> Super Ambient Delays algo -> Italo’s Space Algo

9. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

10. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

Could someone throw some light in regards to the routing capabilities of the H9000??

This video shows a very convoluted and mediocre way of routing signals through the H9000 in my opinion..

Is this due H9000 routing restrictions, or is it a better way to manage the routings on the H9000?

I'm particularly interested in purchasing the H9000 with the Dante card but there's no full description about it's routing capabilities on the 'manual'..

According to SOS article, there is no Mixer or Matrix to route the audio signals.
    Even though, the H9000 brings excellent connectivity.

It's not possible to route Audio between the 4x FX Chains?
    It's not possible to use/send/share/duplicate the physical Analog IO's internally?
    You can only use 1x digital connection at the time: AES/EBU, ADAT, or SPDIF?

I'm planning to use the H9000 as my main Audio Interface but it looks pretty precarious at this task so far.
    Can someone clarify how to route signals on the H9000 effciently?

I can't believe there is no full description about this on the manual!!

11. rustolium

rustolium Member

I'll try to give a bit of info, but cant write a manual on it. It actually does have a Matrix with some missing features that I believe should come in software updates or rather, there is no reason it shouldn't. When I talked with them at NAMM I thought there would be a way to route internally to effects chains in the 1.5 update, but I'm not seeing a way to do that unless the "direct I/O" has been revamped to do that and in theory it could, I just have not needed to change the way I do it now. The other nice to have missing feature would be a mixer on the I/O section.

To your questions:

1.). Yes, it is possible to route audio between the 4 FX chains. I connect an optical (ADAT) to itself and route that way. works very well and keeps it in the digital domain.

2.) Sharing I/Os is pretty normal. You can split a input to multiple outs, but can't send multiple inputs to a single out. That is because there is no mixer on the I/O. This isnt really a problem as you can do all you would really need inside the effects chains, or at least most.

3.) You can have all digital connections up and running, just make sure your clock source is correct.

The DANTE card is the coolest thing ever. I've written about this before, but my H9000 is connected analog to my guitar switching system with all 4 FX chains going either in front or behind the amps in different combos. Then I can literally switch a session in the H9000 that is all Dante to HDX and have 8 H8000s for mixing. Not one patch cable is touched and it happens in seconds. There is nothing I can see that would keep me from having a session setup in the H9000 that used 2 FX Chains for my analog stuff while running DANTE with the other 2. BTW, during all of this I have the optical loop running so I could route signal between chains too. I assume that USB could also be running and even AES. It's bananas!

As always, Eventides UX takes a while to get into, but they did a better job here IMO than the past.

Also, with DANTE, make sure you have a proper DANTE card or latency will kill you. Don't think DVS will work for anything other than streaming music to a sound source.

Final disclaimer: I am an H9000 fan boy. I'm not ashamed of it. I have used and owned a lot of great stuff. The H9000 is the real deal.

pangea2003 likes this.
  12. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

Much appreciated for your help Rustolium!

Yes, I'm planning to install the Eventide's Dante Expansion Card for the H9000 (not Dante Virtual Soundcard at all)
    That's why, using all these connectivity efficiently is primordial for me..

To be honest, having to route signals between the FX Chains by creating an ADAT loop looks scary to me sorry.
    Don't you experience clocking issues when interfacing other devices digitally, or experience extra jitter in the signal chain?

I can't believe with all the connectivity the H9000 offers, Eventide didn't include a mixer or a better way to route signals internally.
    This is absolutely ESSENTIAL.

Now. are you absolutely sure you can use the AES/EBU and ADAT at the same time??
    By looking at this video, it seems you can only choose either AES/EBU, SPDIF, or ADAT but not all three at the same time!
    Could you test this for me please?

I'm planning to connect 8x AES/EBU + 8x Analog audio sources to the H9000's AES/EBU & Analog DB25 Input ports.
    Then send/split those 8x AES/EBU + 8x Analog audio sources to my Dante Network (managed with Dante Via),
    But before I sent the audio sources (8x AES/EBU + 8x Analog) to the 4x FX Chains of the H9000.
    Additionally, I would still need to bring and send extra audio Audio from and to the Dante Network (for further processing and recording).

So I need some sort of mixer!

I don't mind to use my DAW as a mixer if it doesn't introduce too much latency using the Dante card..
    But after watching this video I'm not sure this is possible..

On this video, I can see that you can actually share and duplicate the inputs on the Emote but only if I send them to the FX Chains exclusively (not before).

In other words, I would be using the FX Chain to split/route the Audio sources to different destinations
    However, I would then waste the entire FX Chain to be used with the 4x Algorithms available from the H9000 processor?
    This is clear on the 4th FX Chain shown on the video, when routing signals directly to the outputs..

Nevertheless, I can also see a 'Through' Module at the beginning of the video inside the first FX Chain.
    So I'm wondering if could still add the 4x Algorithms running in parallel to that 'Through' module?

I can also see that the maximum number of IO's I can use per FX Chain is 8 in total right?
    I assume most of the algorithms are designed to get 2x inputs right?
    So could I mix the dry signal running in parallel (not series) to the 4x Algorithms through the FX Chains?

Thanks!

13. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

"Also, with DANTE, make sure you have a proper DANTE card or latency will kill you. Don't think DVS will work for anything other than streaming music to a sound source"

I assume that you mean all I need is the Eventide Dante Expansion Card right?
    So If I connect a Cat5 cable from the H9000 to my computer Ethernet port, all the 32x IO's would turn up on Dante via and on my computer's DAW right?
    At least that's how it works with the rest of Dante devices I used in the past..
    No DVS needed with the Dante Expansion Card right??

I'm thinking that I could actually do all my mixing and routing with Dante before I send all the signals to the 4x H9000 processors and FX Chains.
    I just need to be able to access all H9000 IO's from Dante (AES/EBU, ADAT, SPDIF, Analog) and the manage all my routings with Dante Via
    That would be the best solution, then I could just use the Emote for the Processing..

Is this possible????

Thanks!

14. rustolium

rustolium Member

Yes it will show up, but the latency is horrible. You need a fast DANTE interface to your DAW. I use the AVID MTRX, but there is rednet stuff etc. If you are currently able to do what you need the H9000 will be fine as its DANTE card is a proper one with low latency. I don't use VIA, but I don't see how they could get around the latency in SW. It requires the faster processing chip that audinate licenses to everyone. I'm only going off of my experience, I don't know all things DANTE.

You are thinking correctly that you should use something else as the mixer and process with the H9000.

pangea2003 likes this.
  15. rustolium

rustolium Member

I don't speak Italian and didn't watch the video so I'm not sure what was going on. I can tell you that I have zero issue looping the optical and I won't ever use that for anything else so it works for me. If I'm being honest once all 4 FX chains are in the path and I am playing the guitar I can ever so slightly feel it, but it does not effect performance in any way and frankly pretty freaking impressive to go thru all that processing. If you are super sensitive to latency you will notice it. I have no problem with it as it isn't enough to affect my performance.

You are asking some great questions and will take a look, unfortunately, I won't be able to until next week. I don't want to give you bad info without verifying it.

pangea2003 likes this.
  16. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

I still don't quite understand what you mean with the Dante card is slow on the Eventide..
    Do you have the Eventide Expansion card installed on your H9000??
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/eventide_dante_expansion_board.htm

Are you suggesting to interface/chain the H9000's Dante Card to another Dante interface such as a Focusrite Rednet before the computer because the Eventide's Dante card is too slow??

Thanks

17. rustolium

rustolium Member

No. The Eventides DANTE is a proper card. No issue with the H9000. It’s your interface to your DAW. Just connecting to you computers Ethernet port will not be fast enough no matter what you are connecting for live performance. You need a proper DANTE interface for that.

pangea2003 likes this.
  18. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

Absolutely!
    sorry i just read my previous post and I mentioned Dante Via instead of Dante Controller!
    I meant to manage the routings with Dante Controller and not Dante Via sorry.
    Dante Via and Dante Virtual Soundcard didn't work properly for me in the past.
    Loads of bugs and latency to be honest.
    As you said, it was just okay to network a stereo signal between devices on the network but that's about it..
    So yes, the eventide's dante expansion card for the h9000 is what i'm planning..
    from the h9000's dante card to an ethernet switch, and from the switch to two computers straight to the ethernet ports of both.
    I assume that using the h9000 dante card will enable my computers to be fast enough for live performance!
    Do you have this card on your H9000?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I'm no Dante expert, but I think what's being talked about is a Dante PCI interface card, in addition to the Dante card in the H9000.

pangea2003 likes this.