Yes, the stock DRRI is too bright!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 5E3, Jun 17, 2008.

1. 5E3

5E3 Member

After only a week of playing through my recently acquired DRRI I finally had to change the speaker.
    [​IMG]
    The stock Jensen C12K is way too bright for my liking. I had an extra Celestion G12H30 in the basement and performed the swap this morning. Right away those ice-pick highs are gone. I need to play through the H30 for a week or so to decide if it's going to stay in there. Some new tubes arriving Thursday.

I checked out the bright cap at C10 while I had the chassis out. I don't know yet if I'll have to go that far to mellow this amp out.

2. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

You can lift one leg on the bright (reverb) channel volume control, which should make it sound more like the normal channel. I put a private jack in mine. Couldn't be happier. Also changed out the reverb tank to a medium delay accutronics. Have not changed out the tubes yet. Using a Radial Tonebone Hot British for distortion.

3. aram

aram Member

cut the bright cap!

it works wonders!

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

Thanks Heartbreaker. What do you mean when you say: "I put a private jack in mine"

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Was the stock speaker broken in?

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

I'm not certain. The amp is something like 1~2 years old, but the guy I bought it from was using it as a practice amp in his home (at least that is what he told me).

The amp looks like it is absolutely brand new. The speaker may have had enough hours on it to break in, but I don't know if the volumes were really loud enough.

For the week I've had it, I played as loud as I could handle in the house. The speaker didn't sound tight to me, just bright.

7. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

That Jenson speaker is horrid. The speaker you put in is highly recommended for DR's from what I've read. You can try some JJ or Brimar power tubes to mellow it out a bit too.

8. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I've got a DRRI and I've put some good tubes in and a Celestion Greenback which gives a much warmer, woodier tone. I'm wanting to do the Brite Cap (c10) mod and wondered if anyone could tell me how to do it safely. Do you just cut one leg? Do you remove it totally? How do you discharge a cap to do it without dying!!!???

9. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

It's an Eminence Private Jack speaker. That coupled with the Hot British can do many things. I primarily play a Les Paul and the Hot British with the Paul sounds very very close to my Soldano. Bear in mind that I have the normal volume on 4 or 4.5 with the Hot British cranked. Great sound from a combo.

10. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

I would just lift one leg. It's a small cap so I would just do it before yoy power on. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it should be fairly easy. If not, you could just clip one leg real close to the pot and turn it away from everything so that it wont touch anything else. Should be good to go.

11. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Do you have to discharge it first? Or, just clip?

vtg

12. 5E3

5E3 Member

Hey Heartbreaker, how do you think that pedal would sound with a Tweed Deluxe (5E3)?

13. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

I have a Victoria tweed with a Celestion H30 (I think that's right), but i haven't got to demo the HB with that amp. I'll try to give a whirl and get back with you tomorrow. The Hot British has a lot of tone shaping capabilities and it should dial in, but you never know. What I currently have on my pedal board for my TD is a Fulltone OCD, version 3. I just change the tone knob to go between a strat and a Paul. Basically 9 o'clock for a Paul and 3 o'clock to full up for a strat. Sounds and works well for me.

14. 5E3

5E3 Member

Cool, thanks Heartbreaker!

I'm interested in that Tonebone Hot British and it would be a nice bonus if it would work well with my Richter TD. I'm subscribed to this thread, so just post back!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  15. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

The Tonebone Plexitube is the same pedal, though more expensive due to being a dual pedal. It's like having 2 HB's in one. One channel is set up for soloing.

16. andyc

andyc Member

Bright caps are tiny little things that don't hold enough charge to matter. There's a big difference between a cap used to enhance brightness and an electrolytic cap used as a power supply filter.

However, anytime anyone is inside one of these amps they should be careful - so it's good to be cautious! The little bright caps don't need to be discharged. Just snip them or desolder them.

17. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

the way i discharge my amps is pull the plug out of the wall and play hard until no more sound is heard.

after that(pull the chassis) i jumper pin1 of v1 to ground to discharge the residual. then just to be sure i measure the voltage at pin1 of v1 with a VOM.

you may not need to with a reissue(built-in safety feature?), but it's best to get into a safe practice.

there are other ways, but this was the easiest way i came across and it works for me.

is that an 8n?

18. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

5E,

Didn't get to demo the HB last night, sorry. Having work done at the house and it was too late to crank when the contractor left. Hopefully will have time tonight. Apologies from Pearly.

19. 5E3

5E3 Member

No worries Heartbreaker. They appear to be readily available on the new and used markets. Whenever you get around to it is fine. Thanks!

:dude

20. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

Hey 5E,

Just demo'd the Fulldrive OCD V3 against the radtal Tonebone Hot British through a Vic tweed Deluxe. Here is what my ears heard: The oCD sounds best with the drive set between 9&10 o'clock; really warm fat sound, but just a hint of solid stateness-not much. The HB was slightly boxier sounding, but sweeter. I rolled off the drive on the HB from 2 to 10 o'clock and things improved. The HB sounded more like a tube amp front end if you will, but not quite as fat as the OCD. For my tastes I like the HB a little better, but you could not go wrong with either. The tweed circuit likes the pedal gain set lower.

Hope that helps.