Yes we know we need ear protection....back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AXEnGEAR4J, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

1. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

Growing up in the 70's - 80's playing LOUD with Marshalls and going to LOUD concerts...damn Trower with his stacks of Marshalls and all those other monster concert sound machines ....

But the glory that came for all the GREAT and LOUD concerts was coming from the stage amplification.. not relying on a lot of PA and if so it was "in your face" with those folded horn stage speakers... don't you miss the days...the stories??

Yes too loud where it was mush it was deafening however youth played it's role with acceptance... those were the ones where you woke up in the morning with the ringing that put you in a fog...lol

...oh those little hairs in the inner ear as well as your legs were dancing!

Tinnitus!

sportycliff likes this.
  2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I wore ear plugs from nearly the get go. In those days of convoluted
    sound - combined with my own Viking sense of raging Power - I found
    that I could hear what was going on with a couple of those foam ear plugs.

Fred132 and aynirar27 like this.
  3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, I hear you...pun intended ;).

Back in the 60's, when I first found the sound of an electric guitar so fascinating, I loved being immersed in that sound. Then I got into gigging as a weekend warrior and needed & loved to feel the experience as well as hear it...so I pushed the volume limit as much as the gig would permit for about 50 years.

So, yup, I'm now paying for it with a bit of tinnitus. But, all things considered, I think it was worth it with all the good times I had playing live and being immersed in the sound I was making trying to make a joyful noise for myself and whomever was listening.

Funny thing is...even with tinnitus today, I can hear some things my wife cannot hear. And I still occasionally get carried away in my den reminiscing & immersing myself in that electric sound like the "good old days"...well, until I get the "turn it down stare" from the wife ;).

sportycliff and guitargeek6298 like this.
  4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It was pretty obvious from early on that ringing ears were directly related to sound level/exposure.
    Avoiding it or using ear protection is a different question.
    I don't know that young players and concert goers are studiously avoiding loud levels currently.:confused

5. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

There was certainly an awareness of the damage loud music could do. In the absence of any musician-specific ear plugs on the market, the local music store back in 1974 was selling Norton plugs (orange/brown silicone encased metal cylinder filters) in a little plastic carry case that attached to your keyring. As the music shop owner was a firearms enthusiast, I tend to think they were actually shooter's plugs. I still have the set I bought back then - not that I wore them very often. My tested hearing is rated as "age appropriate"...I guess, all things considered, I should be grateful.

6. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

With me and a lot of my peers it was hunting/guns that are affecting us more than music or other loud noise exposure today. I remember actually moving away from speaker racks at events when I was young when I thought it way too loud. But I happily shot guns with no ear protection in situations where I should have had some. We all wish we knew then what we know now.

7. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Supporting Member

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I don't remember when I started using ear plugs .... I think it was in the later 80s or 90s. So my ears probably had about 10-15 years of abuse from loud music. And then there was loud motorcycles and racing them....and playing drums that couldn't have been good. I have some hearing damage and just hope it doesn't get any worse as I'm careful to wear earplugs for anything these days.

9. teledude55

teledude55 Member

there was a couple concerts that left my ears ringing for days...that is scary.

AXEnGEAR4J likes this.
  10. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

Wow "Look at those ears"!

11. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

Yup...(along with the Marshall Stacks) I grew up with guns and motorcycles, raced MX, drag cars, ATV's, tractors, machinery....never any ear protection.
    Yes I am paying the price somewhat now I just hope it doesn't progress if I take care of myself.

12. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Loud music and guns get the credit for my hearing loss and tinnitus. My ears would ring for days after a concert, and there were many. Never used hearing protection while shooting when I was young. Clever.

13. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I wear hearing aids courtesy of the VA.

14. eicca

eicca Member

I’m only 25 and already have a slight ringing from being stupid and cranking it up way too loud. I wear hifi earplugs to every concert now, as well as when I’m practicing. I like being able to feel the sound coming out of the amp so I don’t mind if the perceived volume is lower.

Also, when you’re shaping guitar tone, be careful with the EQ. Too much 2-2.5khz, 4khz and 8khz can hurt your ears at lower levels than other frequencies. I’d finish jamming at a very reasonable volume and my ears would still hurt. Didn’t figure out why until I put a spectrum analyzer on my tone.

15. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I'm 49 and I watch TV with the closed captioning turned on. It sucks.

Wish I took better care of my hearing when I was younger.

16. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

[​IMG]

Then you ain't no goody two shoes. lol

Stu Cats and Jack_of_Diamonds like this.
  17. Jack_of_Diamonds

Jack_of_Diamonds Member

Wrong thread...

Scrapperz likes this.
  18. C-RAM

C-RAM Member

Ah, nostalgia...

You made me go and dig 'em up - seems like I've had these things forever.

Scrapperz likes this.
  19. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Maybe so but we are talking about ear plugs here.

Stu Cats likes this.
  20. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Those are what I used in the 70's when hand loading and sighting in high powered rifles etc. and why I still have my hearing :aok