"Yesterday"...the Beatles based movie...any interest?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Jun 28, 2019.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

We thought the movie was fun & enjoyable. Especially the part where he had the meeting with the old, long haired guy in round glasses...it caught us off guard and brought a smile to our faces and a little tear to our eyes. With some changes, me thinks it could have made for a cool, more serious sci-fi'ish movie too.

2. aldocello

aldocello Member

Sorry, but I didn't read all the posts. It's all about me. I've been listening to The Beatles for over fifty years
    and quite frankly I'm sick of listening to them. I'm especially sick of "Yesterday". Reminds me of every elevator ride I've ever taken. I do like the concept of the movie though. I think the younguns among us should like it. Doo dee doo dee, Shattered, shattered...

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  3. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

Saw it on Friday night, then saw it again on Saturday morning.
    Loved it that much.

I see this as a love letter to The Beatles and their endurance and influence of their music. It is all to easy to say The Beatles won’t make the same impact if they had formed today, but then all too easy to dismiss their influence to shape the modern music landscape because they had existed today. Not to mention that this is a movie, a made up story so it is all too easy to think too hard when you should just enjoy the ride. It’s not a documentary, it is a movie.

As for “will you like it”. Don’t judge it because it is a movie about Beatles Songs, basically, if you like Richard Curtis - Four Weddings, Love Actually, Notting Hill, About Time etc. Then you will love this. If you don’t, then you won’t.

nlopez, photoguy and ckfoxtrot like this.
  4. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

This is a plot hole.

In the original universe where The Beatles existed, he played Wonderwall when he was 14 and won her over.

In the alternate universe, Oasis doesn’t exist, so she wouldn’t have seen him played Wonderwall. So that little flashback sequence was wrong.

It could and should be a little scene where she told him that she fell for him when he played Park Life by Blur and loved him for 20 years since that moment. He then goes “Park Life?”, then a little mental montage remembering him googling Oasis and that they don’t exist.

Note - For those that don’t know, Blur and Oasis were pretty much rivals in the 90’s and Park Life came out around the same time and was a big hit in the UK.

5. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

If you're like me,you are sick of hearing it everywhere but in a good room with good equipment."I'm offended by the callous treatment music gets these days.I never bitch about the c-rap on the radio or in restaurants any more.I hate all that stuff and always will.But I refuse to allow the "canned music" that is omnipresent these days to taint what I love most in the Beatles catalogue and spin them whenever the opportunity arises to listen just like I did back in the day.

6. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I like the concept but I also enjoyed Across The Universe. I like twisted takes on well known properties.

7. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

you might be surprised who is playing that elder gentleman

8. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Sorry - I just saw it and only baby boomers and some of their parents were in the audience.

I liked it and yes I'm a boomer and have been a fan since 2/9/64. Jeez, tough crowd here. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend two hours. Clearly this internet thing and short attention span of expecting something new every three minutes has taken a serious toll on too many. Sometimes it's better to kick back and forget about life for a few hours.

photoguy and Dirty_Tones like this.
  9. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Actually, one of the strong points of the movie is that when you see him play he is playing the right chords. I really enjoyed the movie.

Washburnmemphis and ckfoxtrot like this.
  10. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Slumdog Lennonaire

It was a nice way to blow 2 hrs and not have to think a whole lot about reality

The "dream cameo" scene was a sweet nod to the fans that had always speculated what it might have been like all those years later ...

11. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

Can you imagine if he confessed and then played Wonderwall and then they think he wrote that song and the whole joke starts again lol

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  12. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

An original concept coming from a movie? We'll have none of that. Let's have 15 more Marvel sequels this year. I demand explosions in my movies, dammit.

13. Gargloic

Gargloic Member

Diehard Beatle fan here. I saw the film and loved it. Of course no way this is The Godfather or Gone with the wind but is was 2 hours of fun for me and the wife. However, a French book was written 8 years ago with the same title (Yesterday) and roughly similar story. The girl in the book is even called Eli. Here is the link (French only) https://www.dropbox.com/s/aitsp2bszwsenjn/YESTERDAY-2011-LABD.pdf?dl=0

Also there was a similar movie in 2006 about the biggest rock and roll singer from France http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=60628.html The guy wakes up and Johnny Hallyday never existed and he "takes his place". This looks a tad plagiarism of two different sources. :dunno

Gargloic

chunky48 and JPF like this.
  14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

In the theatre now with my wife as the final credits roll by. We both loved it!

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  15. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

So, Ed Sheeran cameos in a movie that will expose possibly millions of young people to the Beatles, continuing their legacy, and you’re rubbed the wrong way.

Gotta love TGP.

16. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Ed Seheran's part was more than a cameo. Actually it's was pretty smart to inject a modern contemporary who'd appeal to the younger among us, and besides, the girls seem to really like him too.

Jon Silberman likes this.
  17. Jon Silberman

I'm not going to single out specific individuals now but I will say that some people wouldn't know a love story if it crawled up and bit them on their butts.

18. Jon Silberman

I saw that, too.

ckfoxtrot, Jp2558 and chrisr777 like this.
  19. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Music has a much more subordinate role in today's culture, so I don't see a fair comparison here...the Beatles, for better or for worse, happened at a particular interval in time where their music had a profound significance....don't know if there's really anything more to it than that.

I'd love to know how the music produced between 1954 and 1974 will be regarded, in say 50-100 years from now. :cool:

4inchjones likes this.
  20. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

I've seen waay too many films where they start out pretty strong, then about 3/4 the way through either my ability to suspend disbelief wanes, or the movie just becomes so full of predictable histrionics that I often end up bailing before the end.