• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Yesterday was a good day....

slavenoid

Silver Supporting Member
I was at a music store owned by a friend and just looking around as I hadn't been in in a while, suddenly he handed me from his own collection a 54 Strat hard tail, one piece body, that was pristine, and sounded like you would imagine. Amazing how rounded all of the edges on the headstock etc were when these were sanded totally by hand. It sounded "cleaner" to me than my 57, but just a bit. Then he replaced it with a 52 LP that had a great neck and sound, especially the neck p90--and some of those actually don't have great necks. Then a 28 Martin D-18--light as a feather and warm and resonant. What a Day!!

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
That does indeed sound like a fun day, and a super rare occasion these days with closed showrooms.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
The '54's I've played sound very different to me than the later ones, almost like a grand piano. Hard to explain. Hogy, is there a technical reason for that ie pickups or something?

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
The '54's I've played sound very different to me than the later ones, almost like a grand piano. Hard to explain. Hogy, is there a technical reason for that ie pickups or something?
Those '54 neck pickups are their own thing - I've never heard anything like a stock '54 neck pickup - great tone!

Hogy knows way more about 'em than I do, but I dig 'em.

Thanks, Dana O.

meclazine

The '54 Strat we have is pretty impressive to play. Everyone who plays it has said the same thing. It has a sound and feel unlike anything else they have played. The older vintage 1950's instruments have a special feel and sound.

Keep in mind the price tag can get people more excited than normal.

Aloha Mark

The '54 Strat we have is pretty impressive to play.
Remember the first time you experienced a shock from playing a poorly grounded guitar? Multiply that a thousand-fold when you see the sticker on a '54 Strat.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
The '54 Strat we have is pretty impressive to play. Everyone who plays it has said the same thing. It has a sound and feel unlike anything else they have played. The older vintage 1950's instruments have a special feel and sound.

I sent you a PM.

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
It’s not that shocking really.....they didn’t make a lot of them and they aren’t making any more.

Trending Topics