Yet another amp recommendation request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MisterAgreeable, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

(And it'd be all the better if anyone has any of the recommended amps that they'd trade for a Lonestar Special 1x12 or a Budda Superdrive II 1x12. Or a Tremoverb 2x12 for that matter.)

Firstly, I want big, bright Fender-esque cleans. A bit of headroom is nice, though something that breaks up gracefully early is ok. I find that I strongly prefer amps with negative feedback, have TMB controls. Reverb is optional.

I love the clean channel on my Lonestar special. A DRRI probably beats it, though not by much, but the LSS breaks up sooner and takes pedals far, far better.

For reference, I was really struck by Bill Frisell's clean tone on the "West" disk of East/West. (Sorry I couldn't pick something better known.)

Having looked at the schematic I don't see anything especially interesting about the LSS. Biased in the neighborhood of Class-A, "fake" presence control, a very ordinary tone stack. The only thing that caught my attention (though it's been a year or two since I looked it over) was the ferrite bead at the very front and V1&2 had their very own 12 volt rectified and regulated heater power supply.

Anyways, I would like a channel switching or two channel amp. I prefer Marshall-like crunch, but I'm pretty easy to please in this regard, as long as its appropriate for hard rock. I've owned a JCM800 and a dual recto, and the Superdrive and I could get by find with the overdrive on any of those. I hate the overdrive on the LSS. I was deeply impressed with the Bray modded JCM 800 clips someone posted in the emporium a week or so ago.

So to summarize:
    Fender-like cleans.
    Overdrive channel appropriate for big, dumb, loud hard rock.

Should have:
    Master volume
    Treble, mid, bass, presence
    Negative feedback
    I honestly don't care about class A/AB.
    I'd prefer a head rather than combo.
    I like smaller tubes - EL84s and (especially) 6V6s.

Should not:
    Sound like a Vox.
    Require obscene volume levels to sound good.
    Weigh a ton.

Simple, right? Any suggestions?

2. bluntage

bluntage Member

Orange Rockerverb 50 head? Does pretty much everything you've asked for...

3. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

Ok, that caught me off guard. Good cleans? From an Orange? Other than the Tiny Terror I haven't played an Orange in years, and I don't recall them as having especially inspiring clean tones. I live pretty close to an Orange dealer, I guess I'll have to go give them a listen.

4. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

5. bluntage

bluntage Member

Normally, I'd agree with you except the Rockerverb 50 is based on 6V6 tubes (rather than their normal EL84/EL34 models) and I can attest to the sweet, sweet clean tones it produces. Additionally, the gain channel is to die for. You should at least give it a playtest if you have access to one, I think you'll be surprised!