Yet another amp recommendation request

(And it'd be all the better if anyone has any of the recommended amps that they'd trade for a Lonestar Special 1x12 or a Budda Superdrive II 1x12. Or a Tremoverb 2x12 for that matter.)

Firstly, I want big, bright Fender-esque cleans. A bit of headroom is nice, though something that breaks up gracefully early is ok. I find that I strongly prefer amps with negative feedback, have TMB controls. Reverb is optional.

I love the clean channel on my Lonestar special. A DRRI probably beats it, though not by much, but the LSS breaks up sooner and takes pedals far, far better.

For reference, I was really struck by Bill Frisell's clean tone on the "West" disk of East/West. (Sorry I couldn't pick something better known.)

Having looked at the schematic I don't see anything especially interesting about the LSS. Biased in the neighborhood of Class-A, "fake" presence control, a very ordinary tone stack. The only thing that caught my attention (though it's been a year or two since I looked it over) was the ferrite bead at the very front and V1&2 had their very own 12 volt rectified and regulated heater power supply.

Anyways, I would like a channel switching or two channel amp. I prefer Marshall-like crunch, but I'm pretty easy to please in this regard, as long as its appropriate for hard rock. I've owned a JCM800 and a dual recto, and the Superdrive and I could get by find with the overdrive on any of those. I hate the overdrive on the LSS. I was deeply impressed with the Bray modded JCM 800 clips someone posted in the emporium a week or so ago.

So to summarize:
Fender-like cleans.
Overdrive channel appropriate for big, dumb, loud hard rock.

Should have:
Master volume
Treble, mid, bass, presence
Negative feedback
I honestly don't care about class A/AB.
I'd prefer a head rather than combo.
I like smaller tubes - EL84s and (especially) 6V6s.

Should not:
Sound like a Vox.
Require obscene volume levels to sound good.
Weigh a ton.

Simple, right? Any suggestions?

Orange Rockerverb 50 head? Does pretty much everything you've asked for...
Ok, that caught me off guard. Good cleans? From an Orange? Other than the Tiny Terror I haven't played an Orange in years, and I don't recall them as having especially inspiring clean tones. I live pretty close to an Orange dealer, I guess I'll have to go give them a listen.

bluntage

Ok, that caught me off guard. Good cleans? From an Orange? Other than the Tiny Terror I haven't played an Orange in years, and I don't recall them as having especially inspiring clean tones. I live pretty close to an Orange dealer, I guess I'll have to go give them a listen.

Normally, I'd agree with you except the Rockerverb 50 is based on 6V6 tubes (rather than their normal EL84/EL34 models) and I can attest to the sweet, sweet clean tones it produces. Additionally, the gain channel is to die for. You should at least give it a playtest if you have access to one, I think you'll be surprised!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom