1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another cloudy question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeyST, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

I wanted to ask another question about recording . And I wanted to keep it in this forum if possible...because of all the answers and help Ive gotten here. And I know some of you guys are studio guys.

I hope to go down to Sun Studio, ( now most likely in the fall because I want to be more prepared)

I dont have a band and am planning on using some backing tracks that a guy I know from on-line is making me.

He splitting everything ( bass and all drums) into separate tracks so they can mix down there.

I think thats better for me because of my lack of band and experience. I dont know how good the tracks will be in the studio...I only have an MP3 for practice. I wont be able to tell how the split tracks sound till I get there.
    I think I'll also feel more comfortable by myself.
    Some slow albert king stuff.
    A basic slow shuffle and some other stuff
    No vocals.

Think this might be a mistake?
    People have told me it won't sound that great without a band. And I know it will only be as good as the backing tracks.

I actually was thinking maybe I should go to jams and maybe find a rythm section that would be willing to drive down for the experience of recording at SUN.

I would appreciate any and all ideas and thoughts.

And if the backing tracks sound decent...can the studio engineer work with them to make them sound cool?

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

To me playing with other people is the most fulfilling part of being a musician. I don't think I could stand being a bedroom player like alot of guys on here. I would say get together and jam with someone before you ever worry about recording.

3. funkycam

funkycam Member

Have you heard any of his other tracks?
    For a music as rootsy & traditional sounding as blues, the track better be real authentic sounding or it will be total cheeze regardless of how well you play.

Having other players there is going to be a much better experience IF the players are up to par. It will also be a very different experience than playing to a track. If you get players you connect with, they should support you, respond to, compliment & even direct what you are doing. The whole band can influence the flow & dynamics of the music, which will make extended soloing (which is what I recall you talking about) much more interesting to the listener & easier for you to ride over(eg playing the same idea repetitively over 8 bars that the drummer REALLY brings up as compared to a backing track).
    In a good recording situation, walking thru the door with players who you trust aleviates some stress, after a couple takes there is a good chance you will likely forget you're recording.. you'll just play

4. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Taking into account the time it will take an engineer to make your backing tracks sound decent, you might even consider hiring out session musicians. Around these parts its about $45 an hour per musician. It's less than affordable studio time. Dunno what it costs in your neck of the woods.

Though, I really like your idea about finding a rhythm section. That will actually end up being free to you, less recording time which you will have to pay for anyways. Perhaps you can get the other musicians to put in since they're getting a great experience (and, if its done right, a copy of the tunes). It will sound more authentic and should be a rewarding experience for you as well as everyone else.

5. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Thanks guys...
    I think you're all probobly right. The last thing I want is it to sound canned. The guy is pretty good on his backing tracks. Its not generic "blue tracks" like a lot of the CD's available. You send him something you're interested in, talk to him about it,...and he'll reproduce the drums and bass . Separating the drums into about 7 separate tracks.
    So Ive been requesting a few specific songs and he records them as close to the originals as he can.
    The first slow one I got ( no vocal tin pan alley ) sounds spretty good.
    He mixes up the drums a bit.

Maybe I shoudl take them to a studio here, and pay a guy just to load them up and see how they sound on a mixer in a real studio. I think that might tell me a lot . Wouldnt cost much.

I dont know where you guys are...but some of the people at the jamm sessions here can be creepy. Good musicians...but a lot of reall weird egos and stuff.

6. funkycam

funkycam Member

Jam sessions can be great but they are strange beasts for sure.

What about hiring part of an established local band?
    eg Find a blues band you like in the area & ask if you can hire the rhythm section (ie everyone but the vocals & lead players!)
    That way you get players that know each other & you get to "try before you buy" because you saw 'em live.

Many bands have "revolving door players" or can give referrals etc
    As long as you make it clear you are not trying to steal the band & it's just for studio work everyone should be cool.
    Hth
    CAm