1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Dumble conversion...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Normster, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Normster

Normster Member

I got tired of tweaking the Pignose and started ripping Loren's SF Bassman apart. ;)

Here's the story so far...
    Bassman conversion, pictorial essay

Mostly inspired by Gary at Glaswerks.com but with a few minor tweaks. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it up next week and see if any smoke leaks out. :eek:

2. macula56

macula56 Member

nice looking stuff Normster. if you don't mind me asking, what schematic are you working off of? jmac

3. Normster

Normster Member

It's basically the '77 Hybrid-A schematic with a tube reverb circuit added in place of the effects loop. Channel switching will be done via a Weber low power board. Tone stack switches will include a 500pF to 250pF treble cap switch, boost switch, and possibly a combination bright/deep switch.

4. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Damn you Normster!!!

I just decided that I would get a Zendrive and wait until I could have Fuchs do a mod on my SF Bassman, but here you are doing that to the exact same model of Bassman I have...

G.A.S. attack......

Where did you come up with that snazzy layout sheet that you've got under the board? And where can I get a copy of it?

Thanks,
    mR

5. glasman

glasman Guest

Glad to see someone looks at the site. Hmmmm, that reverb looks mighty familar. :)

Good luck with the amp..

BTW, what kind of tweaks? Always curious to see what others are trying.

Gary

6. Normster

Normster Member

memphisrain - The diagram is in Visio format. Shoot me an email (nfeaster <at> comcast.net) and I'll mail it to you. It's not completely accurate so you'll have to use the Hybrid-A schematic on blueguitar.org to verify the switch connections.

Gary - Your site has been a major inspiration for me. I especially like the way you mounted the relays to the board...makes for short elegant connections to critical tone circuits. This time around I'm just using a Weber channel switch board, but as you can see, I left plenty of room on the board for relays. :)

The tweaks are mostly in the tone stack area. I'm going to be trying a few different combinations of Dumble's switching schemes to see which ones I like best.

BTW, where did you mount the 220k grid resistor (return from tank)? I see it on your schematic but can't locate it on your board.

Thanks,
    Norm

7. glasman

glasman Guest

I did the same thing on my personnal amp. The treble and mid caps have three different settings available.

Hey Norm, you discovered the missing component on the board. When I designed that version I forgot to add it to the board so I ended up putting it right at the RCA jack for the reverb return. I have since corrected this devine screw- up in later boards.

I just drilled up 8 new boards of two different designs that I will be using in a set of amps I am currrently building. The first three amps of this set are a 20 and 50 watt that are similar to the previous amps I have built and the third is a 50 watt amp with a few (LOT) more bells and whistles.

Gary

8. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Now that looks like a lot of phun.

Me thinks I could be inspired.

9. Normster

Normster Member

Check your mail. ;)

10. scottl

scottl Member

Sounds great!!! Sign me up!!! LOL

;)

11. Normster

Normster Member

Finally done!!!

One minor wiring problem on first fire-up. (Had to reverse the OT wires.) After I fixed that, the amp just sang! I dropped it off at Loren's today and he's grinning from ear to ear. Hmmm...I wonder what I should build next? ;)

12. glasman

glasman Guest

So how did the reverb work out?

Gary

13. Normster

Normster Member

Reverb came out pretty sweet. I used a 1Meg pot (since I didn't have any 2Megs lying around) so it's very subtle, but Loren uses very little reverb anyway. It does act a little strange past 2 o'clock...like a boost circuit, but as I said, Loren doesn't use much reverb.

After he plays it for a week or so, I'm going to get it back, install the foot switch relays, and put in the correct pot value.

Thanks again for sharing your layout (and wisdom)!!!

Norm

14. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

15. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Normster,

how did you wire the Weber relay board to the switch - I am confused since it says it should connect the tip to the ring and neither of them should be grounded. Do I need an isolated stereo jack to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot and keep on rockin'
    Darkbluemurder