1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Footprint backing track

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Normster, May 22, 2005.

1. Normster

Normster Member

I'd forgotten I even had this. It started life as a midi, but I think it came out pretty sweet thanks to a VSC plugin. :)

FootprintsBT

I actually found this track a little easier to play over than Ant's. I think the mellow stuff just works better for me. Here's my take:

FootprintsNF

2. Normster

Normster Member

Hmmm...that bad, eh?

3. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

I love that backing track? Did you create it? I like that version.
    I'm going to enjoy noodling over that one. I like that slow kinda melodic stuff.

Do you have any more in a similar vein?

4. Normster

Normster Member

Thanks, Jo. I used a midi from Jazz Session and just used a VSC plugin in Cakewalk to add better instrument voicing to it. I think I may have also added a touch of BBE.

5. Jo

Wow you did an excellent job tarting that midi up. You gotta teach me how to do that. What plugin did you use? (and was it a free one?). I'm yet to explore the plugins section of Sonar, for me it's just a glorified midi player. :)

What's BBE?

6. Normster

Normster Member

Jo,
    If you're using Sonar, you've already got the VSC plugin. Basically, you add an audio track to the midi file and map the midi tracks to it. Cakewalk has the instructions on their site. Using Virtual Sound Canvas. The VSC plugin won't turn a bad midi into a good one, but it will turn a good midi into a pretty decent backing.

BBE Sonic Maximizer is an effect that tightens up bass and brightens the presence. It's supposed to resynch the bass, treble, and high frequencies so they arrive at the same time, but my feeble ears can't really tell if that's happening. ;) I just know it works pretty good on tracks that seem muddy.

If you're using Sonar, there's a whole world of decent backings just waiting for you to play with. The VSC thing is amazing. Just be careful when clicking on midi sites...some of them are just virus and trojan storefronts. The Jazz Session link in my previous post is safe, though.

7. scottl

scottl Member

8. Marcello

Marcello Member

wank ? where ? tasty playing i hear.

i didn't like the tone, some unusual grittyness ! WTF?

9. scottl

scottl Member

I was experimenting. I was off axis pointed at the cone center. I also messed with other stuff. I did not hear the take until it was over. Too late at that point ;)

10. Jo

Thanks for all that info Normster, I just gave it a test out. And to think for all these years I've been recording the drum tracks from midi through the soundcard. My last band had no drummer so we used midi files for the drums. If only I had known about this it would have made my life so much easier (not to mention the improvement on the sound quality). I can't believe you can just output the midi files out straight to .wav this way.... Arrrgh! Well now I know. Thanks!!! :dude

I'm like this -> :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled Footprints thread. :)

11. scottl

scottl Member

C'mon Jo, break one of those sweet PRSii out and record something for us! :dude :dude :dude

12. Jo

Are you crazy? After hearing your clip and thinking to myself 'wow, I love that tone' and now apparently it's not that good a tone. No way! :) I live vicariously through you guys.

13. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks! I thought the tone was kind of cool. Marcello did not like it! But, hey, what does he know! He is French/Canadian!

14. Normster

Normster Member

I LOVE frantic and psychotic ultrawanking! :dude
    The way you dart in and out of the melody just amazes me. Shucks, I even liked the "unusual grittiness" of your tone. :D

BTW, glad you found the info useful, Jo. :)

15. Marcello

Marcello Member

hahahaha :D

still a good tone though...pheeeew bad weather is killing me...[​IMG]

16. scottl

scottl Member

17. Normster

Normster Member

The tone and playing on that third clip was stunning! Not that the other two were bad, it's just that I completely connected with the third one. Does this mean I REALLY have to save up for a Fuchs, or does the "fender75" mean that I can get by with a modded amp?

18. fig

fig Member

Very nice song, Norm!

scottl - your last three takes were very bluesy, VERY nice! I love it when you slow down a bit :D and let your melodic side shine through. :)

19. Normster

Normster Member

Thanks, Fig!

Well, it would seem that I've overlooked the obvious again. I was fairly pleased with a clean take that I did over this backing until yesterday when I changed strings. (When I swapped out the pickups, I kept the old strings on to A-B the difference.) Anyway, I didn't realize how dead the old strings were until hearing the new ones. I'm in tone heaven! :D

Clean Footprints with New Strings

20. marinblues

marinblues Member

Norm,

that way that slow solo line just cuts over that smooth base is truly tasty and requires a ton of feeling and control.

Also, I like the tone. What's the setup?

thanks

Marin